Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but wanted confirmation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

We aren't supposed to shovel snow, right?

I want to help my husband as he is at work all day and we just got about 8 inches. He just seems to think I am being lazy but I am pretty sure this is a no no.

BTW... I am in the waiting room as my aneurysm is 4.8 and symptoms have started to appear. My appointments are now every 6 months rather than annual.

I do not have an aneurysm however I believe intense, quick spikes in blood pressure may not be good. If you took it very easy I don't see a problem, just dont "force" it.

I have no idea, but if you don't feel it's right, don't do it w/o consulting your cardio.

I wouldn't want to take away a good excuse, so feel free to ignore this. I would be rather careful with that aneurysm, however. Don't shovel unless you doctor specifically says you can.
I was told after my surgery that I should not shovel snow. The same physical therapist told me that no one should shovel snow, which showed me she was wrong. When I pushed for an answer as to why I should not shovel snow, it was because the veins in my legs which were now in my chest contracted differently in the cold. When I kindly reminded her that I had a valve replacement, not a bypass, she still didn't know what she was talking about.
Anyway, I've been shoveling snow every winter since except two with no problem. One year we got a snowblower, but my hand froze on the controls, so got rid of that. Last year there was no snow. I'll be out there tomorrow morning shoveling what should just be starting to come down here.

In my opinion, based on the information you provided, you should not over-exert yourself. This snowfall is heavy and wet. Save the snow shoveling for after you've had your surgery and are fully recovered.

Hi, I'm not too sure why not ? Is it because of the enlargement or because of your narrowing ? I got no narrowing of the valve, but got an enlargement of the aortic root up to 47mm (8 months ago scan). My doctor, with many other doctors confirmed that I can carry on with normal activities and no restrictions at all, apart from lifting exaggerating weights.

Follow your doctor's instructions. If you have no restrictions other than avoiding heavy weights, you might be fine shoveling snow if you take it slow and take plenty of breaks. Don't push yourself to the point of having symptoms. Remember that shoveling snow IS lifting weights. I think your aneurysm means there is an increased risk of an aortic rupture or disection. The aneurysm has formed because the connective tissue in your aorta is not as strong as normal. This is often found in patients with bicuspid aortic valves. If in doubt, check with your cardiologist.

I am still perplexed to why can't jayhawk shovel snow? I don't want to hijack this thread, but how I see it is that, yes, 48mm is enlarged but not very enlarged. Obviously, I don't know medical history or where in the aorta is enlarged, but, I don't see why can't she shovel snow if as guyswell said, taking it slow and easy.

I got 47mm in root, and maybe it's different, but, I don't have any restrictions at all (apart for extreme weights which makes the veins on your head pop out) if shovelling snow is not going to make you hold your breath and veins pop out your head , then I am not an expert, but I beleive it's ok.

For me sounds like saying,don't cross the road because you'll get run over.

Maybe the cold?

I am not usually this positive, I spend nights worrying about my enlargement, but I'm just trying to justify things in my head and take this into perspective.

I am still perplexed to why can't jayhawk shovel snow? I don't want to hijack this thread, but how I see it is that, yes, 48mm is enlarged but not very enlarged. Obviously, I don't know medical history or where in the aorta is enlarged, but, I don't see why can't she shovel snow if as guyswell said, taking it slow and easy.

I got 47mm in root, and maybe it's different, but, I don't have any restrictions at all (apart for extreme weights which makes the veins on your head pop out) if shovelling snow is not going to make you hold your breath and veins pop out your head , then I am not an expert, but I beleive it's ok.

For me sounds like saying,don't cross the road because you'll get run over.

Maybe the cold?

I am not usually this positive, I spend nights worrying about my enlargement, but I'm just trying to justify things in my head and take this into perspective.

Here's a link to a recent Harvard medical school letter. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/shoveling-snow-can-be-hard-on-the-heart-201302085868
It is directed at those with possible coronary heart disease, which Jayhawk does not have, but as it states:
"if you need to clear away snow, keep in mind that this activity can be more strenuous than exercising full throttle on a treadmill. That’s no problem if you are healthy and fit. But it can be dangerous if you aren’t."
Jayhawk is currently experiencing symptoms and is doing 6 month cardio visits in anticipation of upcoming replacement. I'm assuming she is not currently "healthy and fit". I would not risk it.

Hi Duffy,

Thank you for your reply. Ok, this needs some clarification. Firstly, I strongly suggest that jayhawk discuss this with her cardiologist and we will be grateful if the advice is made available on this thread.

The article, as you mentioned is targeted mainly on those with coronary artery disease, and not sure about other's opinion, but this is a completely different issue. With coronary artery disease, if its not fixed, over exertion can cause issues.

Now then, in regards to BAV (unless its very stenotic) and mildly enlarged aorta(if 48mm is in the root) doctors around the world encourage aerobic exercise and to live a normal life full of activities. The article confirms that, shovelling snow is like exercising on a treadmill full on(even more). Thread mill is aerobic, us patients with BAV(not very narrow) and mildly dilated root, will benefit from full on aerobic exercise. BUT, if coronary artery disease is present, this could be detrimental, of course.

Can someone clarify this please?

Hi Duffy,

Thank you for your reply. Ok, this needs some clarification. Firstly, I strongly suggest that jayhawk discuss this with her cardiologist and we will be grateful if the advice is made available on this thread.

The article, as you mentioned is targeted mainly on those with coronary artery disease, and not sure about other's opinion, but this is a completely different issue. With coronary artery disease, if its not fixed, over exertion can cause issues.

Now then, in regards to BAV (unless its very stenotic) and mildly enlarged aorta(if 48mm is in the root) doctors around the world encourage aerobic exercise and to live a normal life full of activities. The article confirms that, shovelling snow is like exercising on a treadmill full on(even more). Thread mill is aerobic, us patients with BAV(not very narrow) and mildly dilated root, will benefit from full on aerobic exercise. BUT, if coronary artery disease is present, this could be detrimental, of course.

Hi Duffy,

Here's a link. http://www.uofmhealth.org/medical-services/aortic-disease-faqs

As quoted: This depends on the size, location and medical problems of the person with the aortic aneurysm. General restrictions for all patients with thoracic aneurysms include; no snow shoveling, chopping wood, digging hard earth or using a sledgehammer. No pushing, pulling or lifting more than 30 lbs. Avoid contact sports or any activity that could cause a direct blow to the chest.

Hi Jayhawk,

I had an ascending thoracic aorta aneurysm of about 5.2 cm when it was discovered, if it were me (and it was at one point) I would

1). Liston to what your doctor tells you
2). I (and this is just me – because I’ve been there) I would NOT shovel snow

Do you have a neighborhood kid in the area who wants some extra cash? Again, I would hire a kid, or someone with a plow/snow blower to do the snow…. Then I would make myself a nice hot cup of hot chocolate and take it easy!

I wish you well while you wait!

Rachel

It's not like you HAVE to shovel the snow, so why take the risk?

Before my surgery I was shoveling out my horse's stall every morning and getting dizzy spells, so I sat down in a chair for breaks, but I would never recommend that kind of risk to anyone.
I was in complete denial, didn't understand my condition and didn't know the risk I was taking.
One of my friend's had her son DIE before the age of 30 due to a blown aneurysm. DON'T RISK IT.
Best wishes.

Ok fine, don't shovel, it might be bad for you as per the comments here! but, I disagree with comments like Bina's. What, you've actually seen this chap's medical records? Or you know how large his aneurysm was? Or you was his pcp? Comments like this kept me anxious for over 4 years, and if you cannot put all the pieces together, then it's best if you don't comment! Especially, also, capitalising the word DIE etc!

P.S my friend DIED crossing the road 7 years ago, does this mean I should not risk it?

Thanks for all your replies and open discussion. One thing I have learned in all this is that every situation is different and how we handle each of those situations is different too. So there could be lots of answers to this. I have been told to not lift anything heavy so that is what brought me to the conclusion that I shouldn't do it. I have attempted to shovel snow in the past but it is very taxing on me. I do have 3 daughters and two of them don't mind doing it. One is a princess. :) I just wanted to make sure can justify not feeling guilty when I don't do it.

P.S my friend DIED crossing the road 7 years ago, does this mean I should not risk it?

...if your friend DIED crossing the road because he ignored the "don't walk" sign on a busy intersection, then yes, maybe you should avoid doing that. If your friend died crossing a quiet country road because someone was driving recklessly and rounded a turn before he could see them, then that's the vagaries of fate, and trying to avoid this by never crossing a road under any condition is no way to live. However, the situation under discussion is much more similar to the first scenario, and your flippant comment is unwarranted.

One of the most common medical treatments applied to dilated aortas (and/or faulty valves), particularly in the case of BAV or other conditions where the connective tissue is thought to be weakened, is to control blood pressure via medication and to avoid activity that causes high blood pressure, both chronic moderate high BP and momentary very high BP spikes as encountered when lifting heavy weight. "Lifting heavy weight" doesn't only mean barbells in the gym, it means lifting anything that has mass beyond that encountered in typical daily activities. Recommendations of "not over 20 lbs" are not uncommon. A shovel full of wet snow can easily surpass that and cause very high BP spikes, particularly in someone not used to lifting anything that heavy and who must strain to do so. Clearing a walkway can require dozens of repetitions of this. The momentary, very high BP spike from any single lift could cause the initial tear into the intima layer of the aorta. Yes, % of people experiencing dissection increases substantially at higher diameters, but the percentage is not non-existent at lower diameter and performing unusually (for the individual) strenuous exertion is a contributing risk factor beyond the specific size of the aneurysm.

By the way, as another anecdote, my friend's father died (in his late thirties) of a heart attack while shoveling snow without a prior history of cardiac problems. Snowfall has often been linked to various cardiac events beyond just those related to BAV or aneurysm because people not used to strenuous activity suddenly embark on it (there is a reason why cardiologists perform "stress tests", and that those stress tests only consist of treadmills rather than lifting 5 gallon bottles of water). Does this mean "no one" should shovel snow? No...it means that people with known cardiac risk factors related to heavy lifting should avoid it, and people in general should probably get themselves checked out to know if they have risk factors. Too many of us find out about them after they cause a major problem.

Latest posts

Back