pre-op routine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar bee

i am looking for some sort of a non-medical pre-surg routine check list, ie what do i need to do before surgery?

*dentist
*other med checks
*play around of golf ;-))
*etc

can u share your to do lists with me?

regards
ar bee

Run

Run

The only thing I did pre-surgery was go for a run. I love to run and knew I wouldn't be able to for a while. I don't think dentist or anything along those lines is something that couldn't wait until after surgery.

Dentist
Make sure your will, living will, durable power of attorney, etc, is all in order and someone is around to execute them if necessary.
Baby and pamper yourself silly until surgery time.

list

list

I would set up an appointment with your dentist to make sure nothing needs to be done. This is why my last surgery got postponed two weeks. I know it sounds like no big deal but it was a long two weeks. Since I was next to dead.

The next thing I would be doingis writing up your advanced directives. I just had a friend go through surg. she had to have the plug pulled. Her hubby had less problems with it because she had very clearly laid out her wishes.

Then I'd do any thing that I wanted. I spent a lot of time with my wife and my boyfriend. Going for walks, having sex, painting!! I think I painted the most. My point is what ever has a relaxing efffect was a good thing.

I would also get a lazy boy chair. The others will back me up...it is a almost a necessity for sleeping. Find out if the hospital will be giving you a heart pillow or not. If not go buy one.

Med

A visit to the dentist is recommended by most surgeons (for some it's mandatory). I knew I needed some work done and ended up with a cleaning, two filling repairs, 2 crowns, and a root canal on one of the crowns. Your mouth is probably the most likely area to cause infection, and the surgeons want to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm glad I got caught up and plan on getting my teeth professionally whitened some time in the near future as a present to myself for having all that dental work done...not to mention the heart surgery. :D

If you have been meaning to move that table or lift that box you better do it now. Everyone should see a dentist 2wice a year for cleaning and checkout.
Germs in the mouth love to hang on to valves and have babies. All VR patients need to take care of their teeth.
I bought a lounge chair and a portable dvd player for being a good pre-patient. I go to Cleveland May 12th.
You go there one day pre-op. You wait in line so they can draw a lipid profile, cbc, cmp, ldh, bnp, pt/inr, aptt, ( psa ), and probably a nra, ucla, naacp, csnbc. You wait for the bathroom so you can produce some urine in a cup. You wait to get an echo and you wait to get an ekg. You wait to speak to a cardiologist, wait to speak to a anethesiologist , wait to speak to your surgeon and then wait to sit at a desk to sign your life and wallet away.
I hear the second day moves a might quicker !
I am bringing a notebook and my wife or myself is counting every lab test and drug they do or hand out.
You can ask that your blood tests be drawn with pediatric tubes. "Peeds
tubes". They are smaller, hold far less blood but still plenty for the lab to use and will save you 200 ml. or so of blood.
Get a will, say a prayer, kiss your pets and go for it ! I keep telling myself 3 things to keep me positive.
1. If my father had my heart he would have worked myself to death by heart attack. I have a chance his generation didn't.
2. I am gonna die if I don't do something. Best get it done while there is time.
3. I can't wait to see what a big valve area feels like !
Best of luck to you. My prayers probably don't get very high but I'll say a special one for you.
Spillo

getting ready

getting ready

Hi,

My surgeon specificaly asked for dental clearance. It seems very important. When I went to the dentist they said I could not have any work done 6 months after so it is a good idea anyway.

My wife and I have been planing my comfortable environment to return to. Where will I stay, comfortable chair, getting a telephone/computer close by, will people be comfortable visiting me there and so on.

I am also collecting books. Actualy this is a good way to give friends something to do for me. When I tell them about upcoming surgery they ask what they can do to help, so I ask them if they can lend me one book they most enjoyed. This way I already have a pile of books I will never finish.

I think we should "wind down" approaching surgery, although I plan to work all the way up to preop day. I am not sure I am doing the right thing.

When is your date? mine is April 15th but might be postponed for several days.

Best wishes,

Daniel

tks for all your replies

tks for all your replies

i dont have a date yet, but anytime over the next 6-18 month I reckon.

I just want to plan well ahead, just to avoid delays and addtl stress! I very much see the point of pre-arranging a comfortable environment (particularly since our bedroom is one floor up -you remember 'somethings gotta give'). Computer, HiFi and books not too bad - when do they let you sip a decent drink after surgery???

dentist, yes

well2all
ar bee

Latest posts

Back