Post Surgery Update!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

I am posting for my Husband. He had his valve replacement surgery today. The surgeon came out and said that surgery went well. We were able to go see him in the ICU a couple hours later. While we were in the room he went into V Tach for 2 minutes. They had us leave the room and once he was stabilized we were allowed to come back into the room. They don't know what caused this to happen. By the time I left the hospital at around 10 p.m. tonight his breathing tube had been removed and he was talking. He was in and out of sleep but seemed to be doing well.

So great to hear the surgery went well, and thanks for taking the time to post an update. Heart rhythm issues of one form or another seem to go with the territory, often with a very common non-medical explanation: the heart just doesn't like being messed with. Glad to hear it stabilized and that he's already talking.

It's an unofficial title, but please tell Scott he's clearly the hero of the day around here, and we all look forward to hearing from him whenever he feels up to it.

I am posting for my Husband. He had his valve replacement surgery today. The surgeon came out and said that surgery went well. We were able to go see him in the ICU a couple hours later. While we were in the room he went into V Tach for 2 minutes. They had us leave the room and once he was stabilized we were allowed to come back into the room. They don't know what caused this to happen. By the time I left the hospital at around 10 p.m. tonight his breathing tube had been removed and he was talking. He was in and out of sleep but seemed to be doing well.

I'm so glad he is resting in the ICU. The first few days after the surgery are the hardest and weirdest. Just like Electlive said, "the heart doesn't like to be messed with" V-Tach is scary, glad he came out of that. My first hours in the ICU my heart rate was too slow and I had to be paced for awhile, day after that I had numerous events of tachycardia. THE HEART DOESN'T LIKE TO BE MESSED WITH. Thanks so much for posting, can't wait to see Scott post on his own.

I'll second that motion - The heart doesn't like to be messed with! I'm more than 6 months out, and mine still refuses to behave without electronic reminders. Guess it learned of my lifelong fascination with all things electronic. . .

Anyway, we're elated to hear that Scott is doing well and has stabilized. The next few weeks will be strange, but it settles down and begins to improve rapidly. Thanks for the update, and give Scott our best wishes for continued rapid recovery.

So good to read. Welcome to the other side Scott! Rest, use that breathing thingy, and take it slow.

Thanks for all the kind words. Today is the first day I havent been nauseous and throwing up. I finally had to just say no to the pain meds. Today I finally ate a little something for breakfast. More for lunch, and even more at dinner. And a sugar free brownie my sister sent me! They said I might get to go home tomorrow, It really means a lot to have so many kind people give so much support. I am using my sons old laptop so i'll post again when I get home.

Scott!!!!!!! It's YOU!!! I'm so glad you are going home soon!!!! Sorry about the nausea, I can't take that stuff at all, for that very reason. Hope you get a good nights sleep and your family gets to bring you home tomorrow. Very happy!

Susan....OPTIMUS :)

Scott - Great to hear from you. Well, I'm really sorry to hear about your nausea, but I'm hoping the bright side of that news is that there's nothing more significant to complain about...like any other rhythm issues? I had nausea too, not as bad, many do. Glad you may get to go home tomorrow. Choose your route home wisely, though...you will feel all the bumps!

Well its been a different morning. When the nurses woke me up I was in the deepest sleep. My heart started to race to 150 for 2 hrs. They took an ekg and gave me potassium. They said 3 more days now. I guess it's good it happened before I went home. They haven't gotten my inr even close yet and said they might have to bridge today if it doesn't come up. I am also really bound up. I don't think I was going home today or tomorrow anyway. I'm sure it could always be worse and I'm really glad to be feeling better. That first three days were so bad. I was really hoping not to wake up with the breathing tube in. I had that in all day. I remembered what someone here told me about not fighting it. It took me about 20 seconds to figure out what was going on and then find the rhythm. Then it was ok. The chest tubes came out yesterday. That was not what I expected. kinda like woody from toy story getting his string pulled "Theres a snake in my... stomach" I could breath easier within a few hrs after they came out. I'll check back with you all later. Thanks, Scott

:( about the rate. I hated the breathing tube! I had been sedated in ICU for 2 days after my surgery and they woke me up a couple times to see if I was ready to come off of it. There was phlegm in the back of my throat, my daughter was using their suction device to help....but I felt like I was drowning. Feel better soon!!!!! :)

They haven't gotten my inr even close yet and said they might have to bridge today if it doesn't come up. I am also really bound up. I don't think I was going home today or tomorrow anyway. I'm sure it could always be worse and I'm really glad to be feeling better. That first three days were so bad.

So, does this mean you were able to get the mechanical valve after all?

I had a frustrating first 3 days too, but the 1 week, 2 week, and 4 or 5 week marks were all big milestones as far as progress. Hopefully will be the same for you, especially once you're home.

By the way, funny Toy Story analogy...very true.

Scott - Glad they're keeping a good watch on you. Rhythm issues are no fun - I had 'em all. For most patients, they resolve and on you go. I got the pacemaker because I went into heart block. Either way, pretty soon all is well. You're definitely on the mend, and things will sort out soon. Keep a good eye on the intestinal situation, though. I, too, was "bound up" from all the meds, and they said "it will fix itself soon." Well, it didn't and I had to be re-admitted almost a month later. I didn't begin to "thrive" until after my second hospital visit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, let alone a friend.

Keep up the good work. See you when you have a chance to post.

Latest posts

Back