Post Surgery - Return of Sleep Apnea Symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
Ten years ago, just before I learned that I had a stenotic valve, I also discovered that I experienced Sleep Apnea. Eight months after my AVR I began having several small problems that my Cardio attributed to my left ventricle stiffness. Over the last couple of month, however, these "minor issues" began really effecting my activity level in a very negative fashion. I guess some people are slow but my excuse was that I was diverted by attributing things to my heart. I finally came to realize that the symptoms were almost all the old familiar hallmarks of Sleep Apnea despite the fact that I use my CPAP machine religiously.

Night sweats
Fatigue
Waking feeling tired
Sleepiness during the day
Recurring small infections
My weight loss stopped
Waking in the early morning hours to urinate
Leg swelling at night
Loss of sex drive
Difficulty concentrating on just about anything

Two weeks ago, when it finally got through my rather thick head that this might not have anything to do with my heart, I called my family doctor and requested a new sleep study. The new study began on the evening of the 6th of January so I don't have the formal results yet. What I do know is that my body has changed enough since the AVR that the old settings are no longer useful. When I woke up after only 3 hours using the new pressure settings during the last part of the study, I felt more refreshed than I have in months. So, I'm looking forward to getting the formal report in a few days and get my machine re-calibrated so I can get back on track.

Have any of you out there in VR had a similar experience following surgery? Of course, with my sample of one, I don't know if it was just a coincidence of timing or whether the changes the AVR introduced contributed something to this change. At any rate, I thought I would share this new digression from what has otherwise been a pretty uneventful recovery.

Larry
Tulsa, OK

Last edited:
Larry,

It makes a big difference when you get the right pressure. I hope your issues will be resolved. I started using a CPAP machine in February 2005 and my machine broke last December. I decided to go for a new study before buying a new machine and the results showed the same pressure of 2005. So, no changes in pressure for me after the surgery. Interestingly the study revealed lots of rythm disorder which luckily were resolved with the use of the CPAP. I wonder what would happen to those who have sleep apnea and do not use a machine. In my case, I still have a problem with concentration and some fatigue.

I bought a Phillips Respironics System One PR 550 Auto with A-flex which adjusts the pressure automatically.

Latest posts

Back