Post Surgery Report--Just a Couple Bumps ;)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RANDYJEAN

Hey, all...it's great to be back here, able to report that I'm now POST-OPERATIVE. Ha. The third time was the charm, although it came down to the wire once again!!! On the morning I reported for surgery, I was still kinda wheezing from a chest cold and there was some talk of canceling again, but the surgeon ordered up xrays, and then gave the go ahead.

I'm not sure how much to write here. I don't wanna scare people, but I wanna be honest, too. Let's just say that since I'd NEVER had surgery, NEVER been in the hospital, NEVER been through childbirth...NOTHING...I think I was a teensy bit in denial. :) I truly believed the first couple days would have me saying, "Wow, that wasn't NEARLY as bad as I'd though it would be."

Um, no. It was way worse. But still....now...eleven days out, my memory is already fading about what SPECIFICALLY was so awful.

I have to say that waking up with the tube down your throat is...well..barbaric. I thought I'd manage it well, but i didn't. They kept asking if I was in pain, and I kept shaking my head no, wishing they'd ask the right question: "Can you breathe?" They let my best friend (who's a respiratory therapist) be with me, and she finally asked, "Do you feel like you're choking?" And I nodded. I guess they suctioned me then, and I vomited, but I felt much better after that. They took the tube out 4 hours after surgery which, I hear, is a relatively short time, and my friend said the doc had them move it up an hour since I was doing so well.

I spent the first night in ICU, relatively happy. And omigod, ice chips are my new BFF's. :)

The next day I was moved to a private room (what a NICE surprise that was!!!!). I can't say enough about how wonderful Providence St. Joseph's Hospital in Burbank, California was. Everything so clean and fresh...and the staff was so organized and friendly.

Anyway, I hit the first bump on day 2, I think. My blood pressure was running really low and I was anemic, so I got two units of blood. Then, either that night, or the next, I realized I was REALLY having a hard time breathing. I could only take short, shallow, breaths. It turned out that my left lung had partially collapsed. Go figure. They purposefully collapsed the RIGHT lung cuz I was having the portal access procedure, and that one seemed to be okay. Consequently, they did a bedside procedure by which they inserted a tube into the left side of my chest. So now I had two drainage tubes on the right, and the one to fix the leak in my lung on the left. This kinda cut down on any mobility I might have had!

In fact, originally, the doc told me that if all went well, I'd be in the hospital from Thursday to Monday, but instead I got out on Wednesday. As a result of all the tubes etc. (plus my continuing inability to BREATHE), I only did physical therapy twice, once with a walker, and once kind of assisted. I couldn't BELIEVE how much trouble it was to walk down the hallway and back! Plus, I didn't even sit up in a chair until about day 5 or 6.

Meanwhile, though, I have to say, I wasn't in any real pain. The cardiac coordinator encouraged me to take the full dose allowed (2 percocets every four hours, I think), so that's what I did. I had to keep reminding myself that when they asked if I was in pain, even though I might not be at that moment, I would be as soon as I coughed! HA. But even that pain wasn't excruciating. I took the medication more to get through whole ordeal as if I were in la-la-land, and it worked. I had the TV on almost the entire time, but I don't believe I ever watched one entire program from beginning to end. :)

So here it is Sunday, and I've been home since Wednesday evening. I think it's really a GYP that we're supposed to get up and get going, rather than loll around in bed accepting gifts and flowers. :) I haven't had any problem with sleeping in my normal bed, but then I think that might be more of an issue for sternotomy patients. I'm able to hike up two flights of stairs almost without pausing for a rest. I'm getting my own meals (sent best friend home yesterday). Dressed for the first time today and put on make-up. Woo hoo!! And went for a walk in the nice California sunshine. Life is good!!!

If anyone has questions, about the portal access procedure, I'd be happy to answer them. I have to say, I was very conflicted since my own nephew-in-law (head of trauma surgery for a northern California hospital) said the sternotomy choice was a no-brainer. Still...I had other people telling me, go with your gut. Do what YOU wanna do.

And I'm glad I did. Don't get me wrong, surgery is surgery. Lots of the stuff that goes on are common to all procedures, with similar impacts. Recovery still isn't a snap. But it just seems much easier not to be dealing with restricted mobility of the upper body. I mean, I can easily reach up and put a T-shirt on over my head, I can wear a bra, I can prop myself up in bed with both arms.

Anyway, I guess I've gone on too long as it is. LOL. I wanna thank all of you who participate here...y'all make the journey much less lonely!

~Randy

P.S. Forgot to say that my surgeon is still shaking his head, wondering how I could have POSSIBLY been walking around with my aortic valve in such bad shape. He said the narrowing was unbelievably severe, and that the rigidity was off the chart. Eeeek!

Welcome to this side of the mountain. Thanks for the detailed update, sounds like you had a bit of a hard time but are well on the road to recovery. I never got to do the vent tube thing, well I did but it was news to me. And collapsed lungs, OMG poor you. I have Asthma and thats no fun sometimes so I can't imagine what you had. Anyway keep it up, take it easy and keep taking the drugs, walk lots, and whatever you do don't sneeze............ah just read no sternotomy, lucky you, there's one joy you can't experience.

Ade

Wow, you had some bumps along the way that sound awfully familiar! And from the sounds of it, lucky that you decided to have your surgery when you did!

Now, just take it nice & slow...rest when you're tired, eat when you're hungry...well, you get the picture~

Stay well! :)

Great to hear from you RandyJean and remember to take things slowly. Welcome to this side!
I have to admit that your story certainly brought back memories of my post-surgery experience (breathing issues, collapsed lobe, anemia etc.). From what I have read, it sounds like ver few get away with no issues post-op.

Putting on a t-shirt and wearing a bra this early on are certainly benefits of the portal access procedure! It took me a long time to accomplish that!

All the very best,

Congratulations, Randy! Glad to hear you're home and doing well and you've made it to the other side of the mountain.

I think we may be the only two here who've had the minimally invasive AVR with no sternototomy? I know I wouldn't have changed my decision, and I didn't ask about it here before my surgery because I thought it was common. You will probably notice a few twinges here and there in the coming weeks as you do more in the way of reaching and lifting and get your life back. And you'll be able to drive a lot sooner, too, if you're not already?

I had the collapsed lung thing, too; it hit me the day after surgery, along with a couple other speed bumps. Those things happen.

What kind of valve did you get?
Luana

Thanks for the details Randy. Please note that we are all interested in the details. Friends and family may tire of "ice chips are my new BFF", but we can never get too much of that stuff. It is really close to home for everyone here.

Please continue to update us on your progress. You and I will be examples of the two different "minimally invasive" techniques and I think folks around here will be interested to see how we compare as we recover. I had a central sternotomy but only 7.5 cm in length. I think my initial recovery the first week is going better, but that is more likely because I did not have any significant post op complications. I do not anticipate being at your level of comfort two weeks out.

Remember this one is a marathon, so please pace yourself.

Happy trails,

Brian

Luana, how interesting we both had collapsed lungs! Was yours the one on the left, too? (Meaning, NOT the one they deflated during surgery). And to answer your valve type question, I went with a tissue and the doc selected bovine, so MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :)

The hospital cardiac coordinator told me not to drive for a month, but I plan to check with my surgeon when I see him on follow-up this week.

Brian, you made me smile with the admission that "ice chips being my new bff" is so relatable to all of us. And, yes, I'll be happy to continue posting details here.

When people ask me how I chose my surgeon, I say: "On the Internet." And, you know what??!?? It's really true! Like everyone else, in the beginning, I was totally in the dark about AVR surgery. Almost just went with the surgeon my cardiologist (who was new to me) sent me to. But then I started doing my Internet research (I'm a real Google Slut LOL), and one thing led to another....suddenly (well, not suddenly, about 4 months later), I was having a type of surgery my cardiologist never even mentioned by a doctor she didn't even know. And this forum was a place that really helped add to my knowledge, so hopefully, I'll be able to give back. :)

Randy

Randy:

Those bumps were "speed bumps."

Glad you're doing well now. "Enjoy" your recovery at home (I actually did enjoy the time off from work, even though it wasn't a "vacation") and rest when you need to. Pace yourself, and you'll be back to normal before you know it.

Thanks for the detailed post, as Echoguy said we have all been there or are in line waiting to get there, and we are INTERESTED.. I notice that as time passes I tend to forget about the breathing issues, anemia and blood and iron transfusions, BP problems, insulin, A-fib etc. Kept me in ICU for 5 days.

Thanks for sharing and hoping for a speedy and bump free recovery from now on..

Glad to hear you're past the bumps and are concentrating on your recovery. I think a lot of people will appreciate your honesty in what you wrote - I think it really helps to have an idea of what to expect.

Yay for ice chips!!!:D

Randy,
Pulmonologist said it was the right one. No one mentioned anything about deflating it during surgery, though I know in the info you posted initially it said that, but I'm not sure if mine was or not. Two weeks later when I went to the ER because of SOB, chest x-ray report said recent atelectasis in left lung, so I guess it was one or the other. lol I also had fluid overload and a garden assortment of arrythmias which put me back in ICU the day after I was transferred out.

As for the ice chips, could anything have tasted better? I can still remember my first post-op dinner: Italian lemon ice, red Jell-O and herbal mint tea. There was beef bouillon on the tray, but the nurse said, "it's not very good." I loved her. She added her own twist for the tea; she iced it and added Splenda. She spoon-fed me the meal and the previous ice chips when I was extubated at 6 p.m.

I will always remember that meal.
Luana

PS I also had a blood transfusion.

For days all I wanted was cold and liquid. :) Hey, what was really cute--in the ICU they gave me a big red heart-shaped pillow with a diagram of a heart on it and a pen attached. It was my coughing pillow, but also something for autographs. i had the whole ICU team sign it.

Randy

Latest posts

Back