Post Op Visit with Internalist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my first visit back with the Internalist that initially diagnosed my BAV and started the process to surgery and valve replacement. Originally my GP had referred me to him for a treadmill stress test, but he said "I always check before doing that, and in your case it was just as well because your valve was so bad we could have lost you on the treadmill.":eek: Anyway, he was pretty happy with where I am in the healing process - snap, crackle and popping in the sternum not withstanding - this is completely normal, he says, and will settle down in due course. He released me to drive, yay:D, and to take baths (I HAVE been showering:) but enjoy lolling in a hot bath with my rubber duckie:p!).
He also reviewed the meds that were prescribed when I left the hospital and we agreed that I can come off some of them. We reviewed the dosing of Metoprolol (112.5mg twice a day) that I was given. His first reaction was that they had made a mistake :eek: and had intended to prescribe 12.5mg twice a day! however, I particularly recall the doctor in hospital reviewing the dosages and specifically saying 112.5 twice a day. Anyway, this is a pretty high dose and we have agreed on a 40 day schedule of stepped down dosages to hopefully wean me off Metoprolol completely - assuming that I don't go back in to A-Fib or develop a racing pulse at any of the reduction plateaux - my resting pulse had been dropping into the low 40's with the high dose - a bit disconcerting! I will be going in on Tuesday for the treadmill stress test - this time he is pretty sure I will make it:D!!
Other than the odd twinge or pop in the sternum, there are now long stretches in the day and night when I feel completely normal. I am walking more and more each week, including some hills - the home visiting Cardiac Nurse is a slave driver on walking outside, albeit a very nice one;). I feel like I can walk any distance on the flat, but still feel a bit SOB and weak in the legs when tackling hills - should improve with practice!
Wifey is arranging a 6 week post op "Meet the Cyborg" party for next weekend which should be fun:D!
Cameron

Good for you Cameron. Are you really sure the doc said 112.5mg twice a day???? WOW

And do tell.........how on earth can you not avoid the hills living in Vancouver??? I had problems after 4 months after surgery walking about 8 blocks down to English Bay to watch the fireworks. I won't tell how I got back up them hills.

Just take it easy on those hills okay?

Sounds good. Glad to hear the metoprolol wean,since that should straighten
out your bradycardia(or low heart rate).
Instead of "cyborg" maybe it should be 6-million dollar man;)
Good wishes:)

Bathing, driving, hiking......you are a regular wild man!
You may want to keep a close eye on your HR and BP while the Metoprolol reduction is going on. Mine tends to jump around.
Okay, carry on. :)

That is great news. I had my appointment on thusday and told hubby "I'm not leaving unless he takes me off a med." lost the Lisinipril. Yay. it feels good when you don't need meds anymore....

Cameron, Glad to hear your doing so great. Sounds like your able to do alot more walking than myself. Keep up the great recovery, I've had no mention of a stress test. I hate doing that one, so I'm not going to ask my doctor about that one when I see him on thursday.Take care.

Latest posts

Back