Post op upper body exercises

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtBiker

Anyone know of any good post op upper body exercises so my arms don't totally atrophy? I've been doing supported curls with 5 lb weights - about 40 a side, supported wrist curls (the same) and reverse wrist curls. I can't come up with a safe tricep exercise though since the ones I usually do put my arms above my head or behind my back in an awkward way that's probably not good for the sternum.

Any ideas?

I can't help much there. I didn't get back to push-ups for over a year. I was afraid it would hurt, I guess. I did start with bench presses using light weights (15-30 lbs.), but even that was well after the usual healing period for my sternum.

If you do a search for threads started by our member "TheGymGuy", I believe he's put together very thorough discussions of exercises at various stages of recovery, including the initial period when caution is in order for the sternum. He is a powerlifter but pretty sure at least one of his threads was geared towards giving just general approaches for anyone.

Latest posts

Back