post op tube

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookjp

I'm probably going to have valve surgery in the near future.I think I can handle the surgery and pain with no problem.The one thing I'm really worried about though is waking up with the breathing tube still in.My gag reflex is really bad.The TEE test was tough for me.Do you think it would do any good to talk to the aneithesioligist to get him to promise to get the tube out before I wake up?? Anyone have this problem???

Post op the anesthesia can cause your respirations to be shallow- just
temporarily. So they usually leave it in just in case. Once you wake up,
taking you off the vent is the first order of business.Mine was out within
20 minutes after waking,and I expected it so I was ok with it.
Just ask,it probably depends on several factors whether or not they will
take it out or not,Since Eva says they did with her.

Major fear for me too but you are so out of it when you start to come around it really won't bother you.

Dan, I have 3 days to go and I'm with you. That is the thing that scares me the most. I too gag very easily and I also vomit every time I wake up from Anethesia. I am definately going to mention it to the anestehologist on Tuesday.

I've been intubated more then anyone on this forum. Here is my experience. Usually, the tube is removed before your fully awake. Sometimes the anesthesia keeps your diaphragm paralyzed a little too long, in which case, you may awake with it in. If you find yourself awake and it's still in. RELAX and try to time your breathing with the cycling of the ventilator. If you try to fight against it, it's miserable and you'll end up being tied downed. They will remove it just as soon as it's safe to do so and you can breath on your own. Again, for most people, you won't even remember them taking it out and it'll be gone when your fully awake.

Don't worry about your gag reflex. It's not going to gag you because it's already past that point. It's uncomfortable, not painful. You have to tell yourself if you do wake up with it in, that I need it to keep me alive for the time being. You do!

I agree with Ross. The tube is inserted way past the gag reflex point. You will also be very groggy when you start to wake up. You will also be so happy that's its all over and that you are ok and doing well, that it will not bother you.

The best advice I can give anyone; please stop worrying about what you cannot control, and just picture yourself as you want to be--fully recovered and back to your normal life after surgery.

I don't remember the tube being taken out. I do remember slighly them telling me to cough and cough again. I guess that is when they took it out. I hope you do not remember either.

Most of the people here have nailed it. I, too, was concerned about the breathing tube. But I was so "out of it" when I awoke that it didn't bother me in the least. The hard part was not going back to sleep when everyone in the room wanted me to breathe in concert with the machine to be weaned off it. I vaguely remember them telling me that they were taking out the tube, but I don't remember at all how it felt or that I gagged. This was a non-event, in my opinion.

Good luck with everything. Easy for me to say - being almost 2 mos post-op - but I wouldn't worry about it as much. The anesthesiologists and nurses do such a great job that you shouldn't be in much discomfort.

Mike

I worried about it, too. My first surgery, I have no memory of it at all. I must have awaken before they took it out but by the time I have conscious memory, it was out.

My second surgery, I recall waking with the tube still in place. My DH was with my nurse, I think I remember the nurse saying it would come out in about 20 minutes and that is all I recall.

Thankfully, in both my cases, it turned out to be no issue at all. I do not recall them removing it and never asked how long it was in after my op....... didn't matter to me seeing as it didn't bother me.
Chances are really good, you'll have no issue with it.
GREAT advice to focus your thoughts on your goal of feeling good, having your heart repair behind you and back doing all the things you love to do. Think about feeling Good!

Thanks for all your words of encouragement.I'm tring not to think about it(the tube).I still feell fine.No symtoms whatsoever.My wifes got my reply to anyone who ask me how I feel down pat.I kind of put my hands up and say I FFEEL FINE!!!!!!!Still kind of in shock this is really happening.Thanks.

I was more worried about this than anything else before my operation, except maybe not waking up at all.
Infact when it came to waking up I knew nothing about any tube, the nurse said I was awake when it came out but I must have been too "out of it" still to even notice ?
I was more concerned about the ticking in my head and neck and angry because the surgeon had told me that he might damage my heart pulse whilst stitching in the new valve (3%chance) and have to put a pacemaker in. I was sure this must have happened... Anyway it turned out to be my clanky ticking On-X valve ! I'm noticing it less and less now though after 5 weeks.
Andy, I think I've got a video somewhere, not sure if it's an educational one or not but it clearly shows how to control that gagging reflex and swallow too I think ? I'll dig it out for you?

Justin,
I would be interested to hear what your video says if it's not too much trouble to find it. As long as I can swallow I don't think they'll have to tie me down!
Andy

I'll add my voice to the people who don't remember the tube. If you read previous threads about it, you'll find that most people barely remember it, or don't remember it at all.

For future reference, you can be extremely sedated for a TEE, so that you won't remember the tube. I barely remember it coming out, and that's all I remember from that.

When I woke up,I still had the tube...seems I wasnt staying awake long enough for them. The nurse gently told me to breath with it,just like Ross said. In a matter of minutes she was able to take it out. There is always someone with you,so,please do not be afraid of this. As far as the TEE goes,,next time tell them you want more sedation.You should not be aware of it at all.
good luck

It's something everyone worries about, then afterwards wonders why. I also gag easy, like when I brush my back teeth and tongue. I remember waking up with the tube in, they brought in my family and best friend to see that I was alive, my friend was joking that she was taking pictures of me and since I couldn't talk I shot her the one finger signal, completely horrifying my mother!

Then I went back to sleep and the next time I woke up (maybe 5 minutes, maybe 5 hours later), they told me they were removing it and did so with no problem.

When I had general anesthesia for wire removal the tube was removed before I was awake. I think it depends on if you pass the test for breathing on your own.

As far as swallowing, I don't remember wanting to. Try swallowing with your mouth wide open. It's just not something you do. In fact, it makes me gag!

if you ever done any SCUBA diving or even snorkling--it's the same thing. You will be very groggy when you start to wake up. Your eyes will begin to focus on those around you, the ICU nurse and your family. Your surgeon will have already met with your family and perhaps even been waiting to tell you that all is well. You will be extremely happy at that point. Focus on that.

The tube bisects your vocal cords so you can't talk. As for swallowing--I don't remember, but I don't think I even tried. You just go with the flow of the tube--like breathing through a dive tank or snorkle.

I think you are getting yourself worked up over nothing. The few minutes you might remember of the breathing are nothing compared to the first time they want you to do your breathing exercises into your spirometer. My surgery was in the early AM and that night I threw the respiratory therapist out of my ICU room after trying two breaths on the spirometer....told them to come back in the morning.

I am sure he was wondering to himself-what kind of "tool" is this guy.

Like I suggested, just put the blinders on and look straight ahead. All will be well before you know it, and you can reflect back and truly
say it wasn't "all that bad".

Latest posts

Back