poked myself, but not much blood if any

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witzkeyman

I've been trying to take my INR for the past couple of days. (I've been sick). Every time I poke my finger, blood is almost nonexistent. I have taken my Coumadin regularly. any suggestions?

Are your hands/fingers too cold?

I've had the same problem. I now wrap my left hand in a towel & pump my left arm (and wiggle my fingers) as if I'm lifting a dumbbell - I do this motion a few times, unwrap the hand and poke when my machine is ready.

Good Luck

Right. If your hand is very cold and you are already tired and inactive, you may have a harder time to get a good drop of blood.
I hold my hand under very warm water, dry it quickly, then test, and it works like a charm.

After your bath is a good time or wash your hands in warm water, also can shake your hand down. Just a few hints! Good Luck, I poked myself the other day and it was strange it ran down my finger nail and I could not get it on the strip! Just gave up and did another finger! Live and Learn!

Finger Sticking

Finger Sticking

Hi Witz,

Got blood? Maybe your blood is just too thick (just kidding)!

Does your lancet device have a depth adjustment on it? What gauge lancet are you using? Are you lancing the same finger in the same spot or changing fingers and sites?

I usually swing my arm in a circular motion while my monitor is warming up. I also alternate fingers and keep my lancet device set on the deepest setting. One would think that pushing the trigger button on that lancet device would get easier after two years, but I still have a hard time hitting myself with that thing.

-Philip

I can't add much for about everything has been covered.

I was using 'Autolet Impression' with 23 gauge needles. Even with the debt set to maximum with maximum pressure I sometimes failed to get a large drop of blood. Before my last order of supplies I asked QAS for larger needles. So they sent a box of 50 'Unistik2' with 21 gauge needles. They seem to work much better. And I like them better for you don't have to put the needle in the device, or set the depth/pressure and you dispose of the complete device.

Lowering your arm all the way to your side after sticking will help.

I can't add much for about everything has been covered.

I was using 'Autolet Impression' with 23 gauge needles. Even with the debt set to maximum with maximum pressure I sometimes failed to get a large drop of blood. Before my last order of supplies I asked QAS for larger needles. So they sent a box of 50 'Unistik2' with 21 gauge needles. They seem to work much better. And I like them better for you don't have to put the needle in the device, or set the depth/pressure and you dispose of the complete device.

Lowering your arm all the way to your side after sticking will help.

Dayton:

I've been using 21 gauge needles for administering fluids sub-q to our senior citizen Abyssinian.
I've bought 23 gauge needles for my Autolet and set the depth @ 5. That's worked fine for me. I can't imagine using 21 gauge needles!
I've got some 18 gauge ones on hand for giving fluids, but the cat leaks like a sieve afterwards. :D Can't imagine using 18 or 21 gauge needles on myself!

My other thought, beside all the suggestions, is since you are sick, and usually don't have any problems, do you thuink you could be dehydrated? If so maybe you need fluid

I've been trying to take my INR for the past couple of days. (I've been sick). Every time I poke my finger, blood is almost nonexistent. I have taken my Coumadin regularly. any suggestions?

Try Tenderlett. It does a non-painful slice and you get lotsa blood.

Dayton:

I've bought 23 gauge needles for my Autolet and set the depth @ 5. That's worked fine for me. I can't imagine using 21 gauge needles!

Maybe you're a sissy. :D
Needles have never bothered me. Different story with my wife for they can never find a vein.
Seems like when I used the Autolet, the hole would be a tiny bit sore the next day. But I've never notice any soreness after using the Unistik2.

Latest posts

Back