Phone interview

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnusgal

For those of you who don't know (because there are a lot of new people since I was last really active), my hubby became a nurse 4 years ago. He went to school for nursing after sitting in the ICU with me after my VR, talking to my nurse. He asked intelligent questions and the ICU nurse said "You should go into nursing. You have a real head for this." Seeing as he'd been laid off 6 months prior from his IT job, it seemed like a good idea.

And it was. He's REALLY good. It helps that he has the experiences with me (he's been with me through 15 out of my 19 surgeries). He's better able to relate to his patients and educate them in terms they can understand. He has had numerous patients say that he helped them in ways no one else ever had.

Anyway, he's been working at the same hospital since graduating in 2006. He took a job on a telemetry floor because he wanted cardiac experience, hoping to eventually work more specifically with heart patients. Unfortunately, the floor he works for has become the "red headed step child" of the hospital and has become a dumping ground. They've gone through 4 managers in his 4 years and 2 of them were within the last 6 months. Right now, they have no manager (just someone from another floor that is overseeing them, I guess) while they look for a new one. He's become increasingly unhappy at work. He loves his coworkers, but they are always understaffed and they are being forced to take up to 6 patients, even when working as charge nurse. It's absolutely ridiculous. Every day he comes home from work saying he needs to find another job.

Well, he finally did something about it! He put in his application at the local Heart Hospital (only 20 minutes from our house, versus the 45 minute commute he currently has) to be a floor nurse working days. It's almost identical to his current position, with the exception of guaranteeing he'd be working with heart patients (it's a heart hospital, after all), they do not give more than 4 patients to each nurse, and he'll be saving time and money on the commute! Plus, he's hoping that he'll be able to put in a transfer to ICU or EP lab after he's worked there for a little while.

Yesterday he got a call to set up a phone interview!! It's scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at 4:30. I'm so freakin' excited! I've been wanting him to work at the heart hospital for years! I love the nurses I've had there, my EP is one of the big-wigs that started the hospital, and it's by far the nicest hospital I've ever had the "pleasure" of staying in.

I know he's nervous about the interview for two reasons. One, he's nervous about not doing well and not getting the job. But he's also nervous because he feels like he'll be letting down his coworkers by leaving if he does get the job. I keep reminding him that he needs to think about what's best for him and his family. He can't go on being unhappy with his working conditions.

So if anyone has any prayers to spare tomorrow around 4:30, I'd greatly appreciate it!

He'll be in my prayers for a very successful interview and for getting the job he sounds well qualified for.

Sounds like the job he has studied and trained for.
Hope things go smoothly for him tomorrow.
Best Wishes.

Ahh...COOL!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

:)

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Time slips away" ... Bruce Springsteen ... 'Glory Days'

You guys have my prayers. That balance is so hard to find, with job fulfillment, working conditions, and what's best for family, and this sounds like such a good fit. Maybe you could encourage him that this job would free him to fill a role that it seems like he was created for?

Let us know how it goes!

Wishin, and hopin and prayin for him!
With a little bit of luck, he can be my nurse next month. Oh wait, I wouldn't wish dealing with me in ICU on my worst enemy.

Forget HIPAA - YOU can do my surgical updates for this forum. <snicker>

You are absolutely right. It is wonderful of N. to think about his current co-workers, but he can't fix things where he is. I've always hated changing jobs. Sometimes it feels like treason. But he has do what is right for him, and for his family. This is a great opportunity, and he has the perfect background for that place.
Sometimes when G*d closes a door, he opens a window. What you describe sounds just like that!

BTW, 19 surgeries? I knew it was a lot, but 19? O.M.G.

Great news! He got asked to come in for a face-to-face interview!!!! It's scheduled for Wednesday morning. Keep those prayers coming!

And Laurie, yes 19 surgeries. And only 4 of them were when I was a kid. The other 15 have happened within the last 15 years. At least I'm not doing one a year, though. I tend to cluster them in 3s. :rolleyes2:

So Far, So Good Niki. It sounds like a Perfect Fit and a Win-Win Solution.
Hope it works out for everyone concerned!

'AL Capshaw'

That's really encouraging! Y'all are on our good wishes list, for sure.

Have a happy 4th of July weekend!

What a great story. There are no coincidences, right? I wish your hubby luck on the job interview.

If he gets it (sounds like a good chance he will), it is meant to be. Loyalty to his current co-workers is wonderful, but he should think about how much he will be able to help his patients in the new hospital.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back