Persistent Hoarseness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

I am 12 weeks post op today and physically doing very well. I started back working out at the gym this week and I am so sore I can hardly move, but I'm not griping because I know that is my muscles regaining lost strength.

I do have one nagging problem. Ever since my surgery I have had been experiencing a persistent hoarseness. My throat doesn't hurt, it just feels like I need to clear my throat all the time. I am the choir director at my church and if I talk or sing very much, it makes it worse. I am wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did it take for it to clear up? Should I talk to my surgeon/cardiologist about it?

Thanks and I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year! :smile2:

I am wondering if you are still kind of cleansing out all the nasty drugs they used for your surgery. I found that it really upset my stomach. If you are sleeping and having some acid reflux it can kind of nestle in your throat through the night and cause some hoarseness. I think it is rare, but there are incidences where the breathing tubes have caused some problems.

Either way, I would think that your cardiologist or surgeon will say, um, not my job -- call your general practitioner and let him/her have a look-see. And, if that's the case, after you call your surgeon (which I wouldn't hesitate to do) go ahead and let your GP have a look at you. You might try sleeping sitting up (if you can) for a few nights and see if the hoarseness subsides. If so, then maybe it is acid reflux and some Prilosec or something similar for awhile would be good for you.

Good luck and let us know, please.

Marguerite

Another of our Famous Expressions comes to mind:
"When in Doubt, Check It Out" :)

Are you taking an ACE Inhibitor?
They are notorious for causing a dry cough and tickle that gets worse with talking.

If your muscles are "so sore I can hardly move", I suspect that you are OVER-DOING IT.

Did you go through Cardiac Rehabilitation?
If not, you might want to consider that option if your insurance will cover it.
The Rehab Nurses will teach you how to pace yourself so that you don't 'over-do it'.

Recovery almost always seems to take longer than we would like.
Patience is a Virtue AND the best way to pace your recovery.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race (to recovery).

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back