Pericardial Effusion?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Hi....had AVR August 2, 2010. I opted for the "cow valve". Anyway, fluid continues to build up around the heart witnessed by the two follow up echos. I feel dizzy fairly often. I haven't fainted (yet) but feel sometimes like I can fall down. Otherwise all is ok and I am already very active. But has anyone had experience with this? I wonder when, or if, they decide that they have to remove the fluid. I heard the procedure can be very, very painful. (YUK) :( Symptoms of pericardial effusion are shortness of breath (I don't have that). Any suggestions?

Thanks so much if you can respond.

Justin has had pericardial effusions after most of his surgeries. Are they doing anything like NSAIDs or steroids, to help stop the fluid? The first time he had it was about 20 years ago, and it went on for months, with meds and being tapped- they didn't have as much experience treating it then, but learned alot since.
His last few surgeries as soon as he had symptons and the echo showed fluid they started him on Motrin and sometime steroids and he didn't need any interventions.

Do you know how much fluid you have?
The Mayo site has alot of good info about it and treatment http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pericardial-effusion/DS01124

Thanks for the reply.....last echo they said about 100 or more cc's (whatever that means). They haven't mentioned steroids, motrin, or anything else. They said to drink a lot of water because dizziness is usually being dehydrated. (?)

Thanks for the reply.....last echo they said about 100 or more cc's (whatever that means). They haven't mentioned steroids, motrin, or anything else. They said to drink a lot of water because dizziness is usually being dehydrated. (?)

I personally would call and ask what their plan is as far as the fluid, what number would they tap you or if there were any meds you could take that might help with the fluid.

Are you sure the dizziness is related to the pericardial fluid? Are you on any meds that might have dizziness as a side effect?

I developed fluid following my OHS. Ended up getting a "tap".....that procedure (in my case) was not difficult or painful. It resolved the issue and I felt much better!

Pat

Maxine,

Yes, I had this one week after my AVR. I felt very weak, and ill. My blood pressure dropped, as I entered the ER I almost passed out. The ambulance took me to the Med center where I had my surgery. Mine was severe enough to perform a pericardial window. It took about (one month?) for it to fully drain.

Let me add, that it was not very painful at all! The incision was appox a little over 1 inch. It did solve that problem though!

I had one as well, I do not know how much, but it went away without any procedure or medications. I was also very dizzy for almost a year post op, no one could explain why.

Thanks so much for the responses. Appt for Nov 2 to ask what to do about the fluid. Dizziness is sporadic; blurred vision at times too. I just want this to be OVER ! Tired of going back to doctors !
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them.

Latest posts

Back