Pain turned out to not be a big deal for me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeStock

After posting my pain ranges in this thread:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showpost.php?p=381535&postcount=15

... I realized I wasted too much time focusing on avoiding pain post-op. There was pain, but really just the general discomforts of the hospital bed, including getting in/out of it, the noise from outside and the equipment, the feeling of being in a foreign environment, etc., those things were more bothersome than the "pain" issue. And every trip to the hospital has those types of problems. I was at the same hospital around New Years Day for 3 days for my endocarditis IV treatment. And I can recall being miserable that first night as I just could not fall asleep in that bed, with the IV in my arm, lying on my back and with the nurse coming in each hour. I lied there all night, got maybe 20 mins of sleep and felt very icky for much of the day. And I had ZERO pain during that time as my strep infection's symptoms went away a day before I was even admitted. Comparing that first night 3 months ago with my last night post-OHS, there really wasn't much of an overall discomfort difference. Yes, I had a little more pain this time, but the sum of other discomforts can overshadow a pain level of 3-5 from your surgery.

In fact, if I had to do the surgery all over again, but this time I had a choice of (a) recovering from day 1 from home with a private nurse (having control of my environment), or (b), staying in the CVICU but having 4 less points of pain throughout the experience (i.e. essentially being painfree the whole time), I'd probably go with option (a)!

My main point is that recovering from any surgering will be unpleasant, but for me at least, OHS recovery is nothing to be particularly fearful of. The only thing worst about OHS is the length of time to recover and the risk of death or major complications, not so much the day-to-day difficulty compared to other surgeries or hospital stays in general.

I totally agree with you.My pain was almost non existent.The worst part for me was the trouble eating.Everything taste terrible and the hospital bed.Almost impossible sleeping in a hospital!!!

I've had two abdominal surgeries in addition to two OHS. I agree the hospital experience is never pleasant but my experience was very different with OHS vs. the other two surgeries. No ICU and my memory is of much less drug fog. Granted I was younger for the abdominal surgeries but the whole post surgery experience was considerably 'easier' on me. I had a comparatively smooth time of it particularly with my second OHS as contrasted with what some other people endure.

Pain control for all four of my surgeries was excellent, thankfully.

You all are very lucky. I normally have a high pain tolerance. I deliver 10 lb. babies, very seldom need pain meds, etc., but this surgery knocked every ounce of energy out of me. With all the complications in surgery and ICU, I'd be terrified knowing I had to do it again.

You all are very lucky. I normally have a high pain tolerance. I deliver 10 lb. babies, very seldom need pain meds, etc., but this surgery knocked every ounce of energy out of me. With all the complications in surgery and ICU, I'd be terrified knowing I had to do it again.

True, the risk of complications are high. But was "pain" what knocked out your energy, or was it the drugs, the noise, the bed, things like that? No one likes pain, but I think most people go in worrying about the pain when they probably should be looking at other issues like emotional support and the overall environment. The nurses for me at least seemed to keep my pain well managed, but I don't think they "managed" the other things like noise level very well. Of course, everyone has different experiences and there are unfortunate cases like yours (?) where pain can get out of hand. I would hope that's an exception not the norm.

I totally agree with you.My pain was almost non existent.The worst part for me was the trouble eating.Everything taste terrible and the hospital bed.Almost impossible sleeping in a hospital!!!

If they could just design the experience so you could sleep comfortably, eat, get some walking, sleep some more, the whole thing would go so fast. Instead they focus on managing "pain from surgery" versus managing "overall discomfort". When I'm home my family and I can do the latter, boy is the experience a lot more tolerable.

BTW, I never lost my appetite but the food they served was mostly horrible. I loved the fruits, like strawberries, but really, who wants to eat unseasoned oatmeal, dry toast, unseasoned mash potatoes and green beans for all their meals. Blah!! The best non-fruit I got was a turkey sandwich but I had to ask for mustard on it so I could swallow it (sorethroat from vent tube and TEE).

I would agree that the pain factor was not a big deal for me. This was my first surgery in my adult life so I really dont have anything to compare it to. I had a few complications such as the first valve installed leaked so it was removed and another installed and some A/F that got me a month or so of ACT bu over all it wasn't so bad. I hope that this new tissue valve lasts a long time as I am in no hurry to do it again but knowing what to expect the next time will make it easier to take. The information I gained by belonging to this forum was priceless to me and really helped me deal with all aspects of the surgery and recovery

Mikeb

Dyna,
I'd deliver 5 more of those 10 pounders than do this OHS again...hehe.

Then I think that you had an exceptionally easy time with labor and delivery!;) I've gone through childbirth five times, 3 were in the 10 pound range, and I would prefer to go through OHS multiple times rather than go through one more labor or C-section.:eek:
And yes, I believe I have a high tolerance for pain, too.:)

so mary think i might go for the ohs then lol.......this child bearing sounds awful painfull to me....................but then i am a man ha ha.................and we are big babys after all................................but seriously i personally didnt find ohs no were near as bad as i thought it would be,thought the waiting was the worst part,so for all you newbies out there take heart..sorry about the pun

I agree with Neil that the waiting is the worst part. Now, at least. After my CABG I was so happy just to be alive that I didn't mind much of anything, and didn't have to have a lot of medication. But the angina problem with my AV is getting to me now, due in part to the anxiety of the unknown, and bothers me more than I remember being bothered by the OHS itself before.

I do have to say that OHS had less of a "creepiness" factor than my C-section.

The C-section involved an epidural, which I'm sure is a great relief to women who are already suffering bad labor pains, but was a very creepy experience for me. And then I was awake during the C-section, feeling all the pulling and tugging. And you don't get pre- and post-op "happy meds" with a C-section.

For OHS, you get what my Dad the anesthesiologist calls "amnesia meds" before surgery and all creepy procedures are done after you are asleep.

Latest posts

Back