Pain killers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leoneida

Hi everyone,

My surgery was two weeks ago, I choose a mechanical valve.( Unicuspid Aorta Valve(UAV) and Aorta Ascending Aneurysm) . I was wondering how long you took pain killer?, how many did you take? When did you stop to taking them.
I having trouble to pick up my drugs in my pharmacy because he (pharmacist) said that my doc refills it to often. I am taking 2 pain killers between 5 to 6 hours during the day and before go to sleep I take 2 more. If I take one pill It hurts me so bad and my doc knew it. I just am trying to gauge my use.
Thank you

Unicuspid Aorta Valve Replacement + Aorta Ascending Aneurysm, surgery September 28th 2012, Cleveland clinic Florida. Surgeon Dr. Edward Savage.:):):):)

I took dilaudid and tylenol for pain killers for at least 6 weeks. Basically 2mg dilaudid every 4-6 hours at first and 6-8 hours later. Also took an extra strength tylenol of the slow release arthritis kind every 8 hours.

Are you taking a combination medication with tylenol(acetaminophen) and oxycodone. The tylenol(acetaminophen) with the combo med usually has 325mg of acetaminophen. The 350mg sounds more like it may be the 325mg of acetaminophen in the medication not the oxycodone. The amount of oxycodone in each tablet is usually 5, 7.5 or 10 mg.

Debbie

I took pain pills for about 6 weeks. I dropped the oxy after about 3-4..that stuff really messed with my head, it was awful. How people abuse that is beyond me, hated it.

I am taking oxycodone 350mg, every 4 hour as I need it. but I am taking it between 5 to 6 hour,

Are you taking a combination medication with tylenol(acetaminophen) and oxycodone. The tylenol(acetaminophen) with the combo med usually has 325mg of acetaminophen. The 350mg sounds more like it may be the 325mg of acetaminophen in the medication not the oxycodone. The amount of oxycodone in each tablet is usually 5, 7.5 or 10 mg.

Debbie

That's what I was wonderring, it sounds something like vicadin or percicet with a combo oxcycodone and . Leoneida, This really is something that is so different for each person, heck even the same person havng a REDO can be different each surgery as far as needing pain meds. Some people need them a couple weeks a few only need tylenol from the time they get home.
My 1 concern would be IF you are taking pills that have 350 acetamycian and taking 2 at a time (700 mg tylenol) every 4-6 hours, you MIGHT be around the max dose of tylenol each day to avoid damage to your liver. I forget the amount maybe 3,000mg a day?
If so you might want to put a call into your surgeon telling them that you still are having alot of pain and ask about a different med that doesnt have as much Acetomycine in it.
Hopefully soon you'll get to the point you need less meds for the pain.

I was sent home on 5 mg Lortab (hydrocodone-acetaminophen 5-500)q 4 hrs prn, which I took for the first few days. I gradually eased off so that by the 2nd week or so, I was only taking them once a day and at night, with occasional breakthrough pain. I am now (5 weeks post op with mechanical valve also) only using 2 ES Tylenol at night.
Remember everyone is different!

For the first two weeks I took oxy maybe four times a day. After four weeks I only took it when going to bed. Got off it completely at eight weeks.

Am I the only one wondering about a pharmacist giving a patient a hard time about a legitimate prescription the doctor has written?

If he questioned its legitimacy, that would be one thing but to be uncooperative about filling it puzzles me.
He is not the prescriber.
JMO.......

Pharmacies have to comply with certain dispensing laws as well. Example...in some states, you cannot get your prescription filled even one day early.

Am I the only one wondering about a pharmacist giving a patient a hard time about a legitimate prescription the doctor has written?

If he questioned its legitimacy, that would be one thing but to be uncooperative about filling it puzzles me.
He is not the prescriber.
JMO.......

My guess at taking 2 pills each time, depending how the script was written, chances are they needed refilled sooner than whatever the daily amount should have been, meaning if the script was written for 4 pills a day and there were enough for 30 days, anything sooner would be a problem. Especially with pain pills they are really strict with them. or some times insurance will not pay for more until the first bottle "should" be done.

My guess at taking 2 pills each time, depending how the script was written, chances are they needed refilled sooner than whatever the daily amount should have been, meaning if the script was written for 4 pills a day and there were enough for 30 days, anything sooner would be a problem. Especially with pain pills they are really strict with them. or some times insurance will not pay for more until the first bottle "should" be done.

Makes sense.
Thanks.

Hi Guys Thank you for your response

I am taking now 2 pills of hydrocone-apap 7.5-325 mg at day and before going to sleep another 2. My pain is not to stronger as 2 weeks ago.

I took OxyContin 10mg long release x1tab 8am and 8 pm with paracetamol x2 500mg every 4 hours for the first 3-4 weeks then came down to 5mg OxyContin at night for 1 week then adhoc when needed. Pain free now at 8 weeks post op. good luck with your meds it can be hard to manage.

I was not able to take any narcotic pain meds due to nausea. At 4 days post op I quit trying new drugs and just stuck with alternating acetominophen and ibuprofen. It wasn't pleasant, but I made it. I had more pain from my back and shoulder than my sternum. By walking, standing tall, with shoulders open, I could get things to loosen up and feel better. I also had weekly massages for about a month.

Everyone really is different. (And some of us are more different than others.) I took percocet a few times in the hospital, mostly at nurses' insistence. In the six weeks or so since, I've taken one three or four times, mostly just because I was a little sore and it helped to get to sleep. Didn't even hurt pulling the chest tubes or pacer wire (though that wire felt REALLY weird coming out!) I think the most uncomfortable thing I've dealt with from my surgery was the burning sensation from the heparin injections in the hospital.

Clay in Colorado. ATS Open Pivot AP, 9/21/12, St. Joseph's Hospital in Denver, Dr. Mark Ammons

Latest posts

Back