pain 4 mnths after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

had avr and mitral repair,and the last 24hrs had a pain in upper part of my back and through to my chest,it hurts when i take a breath,have been taking pain relief but not working,not done anything i should strenuious as my top half of sternum not fused together poperly,anybody had same or can give advice,the joys of post-op..

I have noticed that post-op, when members state they have pain upon taking a deep breath, they're dealing with fluid either in the lungs or around the heart. It's almost like a red flag that something's amiss.

I would call the cardiologist's office and have it checked out.

Everyone suggested the same thing I would. It does sound like fluid. Is it worse (feels like someone standing on your chest) when you lie flat on your back?

Its very uncomfortable to lay down, it kept me awake most of last night, but its when i breath in when its very painful, it just came on out of the blue, i am going to get it checked out its silly sat here worrying myself, thanks all for your advice Jane

yep, go get it checked out Jane! Let us know how it goes!

is it a sharp pain going from edge of one shoulder blade to the sternum, like someone
is pushing a very hot, very dull, butter knife through your body? hurts when you take
a deep breath, also can hurt to lie down?

you should check it out, but i suspect it's a pulled muscle or muscle fatigue or whatever
you want to call it. you say you did nothing strenuous, which is not the same as
doing nothing at all. what did you do the day before? housework, cooking, writing,
moving a couple small boxes?

since you're not healed yet, especially with an unfused sternum, you're holding your
body in an awkward manner. your posture is going to be abnormal, putting more
stress on the muscles holding you off-center.

what helps for me when this happens: pop a pain pill (only if severe pain), take a
really hot shower, massage if you have an assistant, do some stretching exercises.
slowly stretch the hurting muscles where it hurts. this part sounds masochistic, but
a couple stretches usually clears up the tightness for me.

Hi just to let you know that pain i had was due to a pulled muscle like ChouDoufu said above, it could of been anything that caused it, my doctor said that i am holding myself awkwardly due to the problems with my sterum, but thank you all for your help, it sure is a great website, thanks again Jane

is it a sharp pain going from edge of one shoulder blade to the sternum, like someone
is pushing a very hot, very dull, butter knife through your body? hurts when you take
a deep breath, also can hurt to lie down?

you should check it out, but i suspect it's a pulled muscle or muscle fatigue or whatever
you want to call it. you say you did nothing strenuous, which is not the same as
doing nothing at all. what did you do the day before? housework, cooking, writing,
moving a couple small boxes?

since you're not healed yet, especially with an unfused sternum, you're holding your
body in an awkward manner. your posture is going to be abnormal, putting more
stress on the muscles holding you off-center.

what helps for me when this happens: pop a pain pill (only if severe pain), take a
really hot shower, massage if you have an assistant, do some stretching exercises.
slowly stretch the hurting muscles where it hurts. this part sounds masochistic, but
a couple stretches usually clears up the tightness for me.

Hi just to say thank you, you were spot on with what you said, this website is just brillant wished i would of found it before my operation, but thanks again for having the time to answer my problem, Hope all is well with, take care and thanks again Jane

Glad it wasn't anything serious, best wishes, hope the pain goes soon. Tc

Back