Packing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmoriarty

Yes first off I read the other thread, lol.

I have the following packed:

One pair of pjs....top longsleeves with pants
Three pairs of underwear
Houseshoes
Socks
Notebook with every phone number, living will, insurance cards, med list, etc
Toothbrush Toothpaste
Hairbrush
My spirontometer (sp?) that thing you breathe into , they already gave me mine

Is there anything Im forgetting that is mandatory? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are well prepared to me! I don't think I put on my pj's till it was time to go home b/c you have tubes, then still the IV, if I remember correctly. I would say a bathrobe when you go walking out in the hall since those gowns open in the back! My first surgery my sister brought me a bath set with soaps, lotion and stuff and I always say it was the best thing ever to have something that smelled good. They have soaps, powder, lotion there but to have something that smelled really nice made me feel more human! My second surgery she already knew to show up with the soaps!
It's kind of funny they have you tote your own spirometer with you!

I never put on underwear in the hospital and wore hospital gowns (one reversed over the other) the whole time for both my OHS. They need easy access for monitor leads. drain tube removal, pacer wires blah blah blah and frankly, the last thing I cared much about was 'looking pretty'. My nurses were magnificent and always made sure I was modestly covered whenever out of bed to walk etc

You really need little. Everything you could need or want will be provided.
I brought lip balm, reading glasses, toothbrush/paste, deoderant, hair brush, cell phone (which Mass General permitted), list of telephone numbers, a pencil and paper to mark down questions as I thought of them, and a pair of slippers. I think that is all I wanted or needed. I brought a little cash but never needed any.

Wear in on surgery day or have packed at home for someone to bring in on departure day, very loose-fitting clothes and shoes or slippers. You may have quite a bit of temporary fluid and normal things will not fit.

Hope you are feeling more peaceful in mind as the day nears...

Valerie,

Sounds like you are ready. I recommend making sure you have a firm stuffed animal to hug for coughs or sneezes. My wife brought me Winnie the Poo until I received a heart bear. Otherwise I think you have things in order. We will all be thinking of you.

You might want to pack a short sleeve or sleeveless pj top, too, in case you're ready for pjs before they have all the IVs, etc., out. Don't want sleeves hanging up on IVs!

Maybe gum or breath mints. Helps with dry mouth.

Clock or watch to put where you can see it. (The clock in my room was over the head of my bed!)

Crossword, sudoku, word search book, hand-held game, if you like those kinds of things.

You sound like your finally getting to the part of ready to get this done
Id suggest water @ ice cus they get greedy lol k all :)'s aside cant do that.
Being i was in icu so long due to shortage of bed units hubby had to go
buy me a sleeping mask for my eyes as they never turned the lights out
in icu and as i really found my eyes covered i could rest better,even sleep
just a thought,i never packed one and really needed it and it may come in
handy for you if you dislike the lights as i did.

I used the hospital gowns too. Not sure if I took undies.
But I did bring a cotton housecoat, one that snapped up the front, and used that quite a bit when walking the corridors. (Better than others seeing my hospital gown flap open!! :eek: )

Thanks guys. I have this one pair of pjs that has pockets that I thought would fit the heart monitor thing down in it.

I dont have a pillow, I was told they would give me one there. We shall see, cause hubby may be running to the flowershop in the hospital to get me one of those stiff bears, lol.

I cant stand not having underwear on. SO once my catherater is out, they will be put on.

I took off all my nailpolish and filed my nails tonight so that is taken care of.

What about hair washing for ladies. If you cant really put your hands over your head how are you supposed to do that one?

Also is there some form of home remedy for like greasy hair since I know it will be a couple days before I will be able to take a shower.

And for some reason I cant find my robe....ugh.

I found that nothing I packed did I need. As for taking a shower, I let the nurse help me do that. I mean, there should be some kind of perk for going through that, right? :p Underwear, PJs -- no, I just wore the hospital-issue gown. But if you feel more secure taking items like that, by all means do.

You will want a bra - the best for me was an all cotton (no wire) with front hooks. My nurses had me wear one night and day to keep "the girls" supported and reduce strain on the incision.

My daughter made me a little brag book with pictures of my family to keep me company. I really liked having it with me.

The hospital provided soap and shampoo but not conditioner. You may want to pack a travel size. The nurses will help you wash your hair until you can do it.

Try to have a little fun in the next 2 days. I will be thinking of and praying for you on Friday. Sooner than you can imagine, you will be over the mountain.

I would definitely take a book or books to read, the really interesting kind because there isn't a lot of attention span after surgery. Also, be sure to ask for warm blankets at every opportunity.

If you normally take a certain kind of sleeping pill, etc., make sure your doctor has prescribed AND THE HOSPITAL PHARMACY WILL DISPENSE, THE EXACT KIND YOU'RE USED TO!

I normally take Lunesta, which works gently and well for me. The hospital pharmacy didn't carry Lunesta, so even though I had mine with me in the original dispensing vial, they gave me Ambien. Said it was "just like Lunesta." WRONG! I was delusional for about 18 hours after! Turns out, it's an entirely different formula!

Make sure you know what you're getting (or your patient advocate does)!

<sigh> So many details....

Praying some more,

Marcia

Last edited:
My nurse helped me with my showers but I was able to wash my short hair myself.
No one (male or female) was walking the halls with their rear view 'flapping'. :) I wore two gowns when I walked the halls. One worn the usual way and the other reversed so all was covered.

I brought a book and never even opened it though I am an avid reader. It was impossible to concentrate on reading after both of my surgeries.

What about hair washing for ladies. If you cant really put your hands over your head how are you supposed to do that one?

The aides t Baylor dropped the ball on this one -- I never got a sponge bath, no word on when I could shower, bathe, etc. My family gave me a sponge bath. I was in the hospital from Monday to Monday w/out getting my hair washed.
The day after being released, my mom took me to a salon near her house to get my hair done.

If I ever have OHS again, I will be on top of hygiene. I don't think family members should be expected to bathe their loved one, at least not immediately post-op.

The aides t Baylor dropped the ball on this one -- I never got a sponge bath, no word on when I could shower, bathe, etc. My family gave me a sponge bath. I was in the hospital from Monday to Monday w/out getting my hair washed.
The day after being released, my mom took me to a salon near her house to get my hair done.

If I ever have OHS again, I will be on top of hygiene. I don't think family members should be expected to bathe their loved one, at least not immediately post-op.

I have to take a shower the night before and the morning of surgery with this soap they gave me. But I am a total hygiene freak, so I can see me taking like three baths tommorow, lol. And the no deodrant thing is going to plain suck for me,lol. :p

Thanks guys!

If you normally take a certain kind of sleeping pill, etc., make sure your doctor has prescribed AND THE HOSPITAL PHARMACY WILL DISPENSE, THE EXACT KIND YOU'RE USED TO!

I normally take Lunesta, which works gently and well for me. The hospital pharmacy didn't carry Lunesta, so even though I had mine with me in the original dispensing vial, they gave me Ambien. Said it was "just like Lunesta." WRONG! I was delusional for about 18 hours after! Turns out, it's an entirely different formula!

Make sure you know what you're getting (or your patient advocate does)!

<sigh> So many details....

Praying some more,

Marcia

I normally have just been taking the xanax they gave me to sleep. They gave me something that started with a D in the hospital to make me sleep, then loaded me on lasix...yeah not a good combination, someone was messed up with that one, lol :p

Hi Valerie,

Sounds like your'e ready to go!!

As far as sleep aids, I took the Xanex, for 8 months, (the lowest dose) I am NOT A BACK SLEEPER! Have been completely Xanex free. Any anxiety, or sleep aids, can be addictive so you have to be prudent.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Back