Pacemaker surgery scheduled for Nov 15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari Thomas

Hi y'all,

I'm nearly 8 mos post op from a "triple whammy" heart surgery. Unfortunately, my heart has settled into a bradycardia with my "normal" resting heart rate in the high 40's and my max exercise rate just under 100. When I sleep, the heart rate has dropped as low as 31 (measured by oximeter for sleep study).

I'm also hypothyroid and still looking for that optimal thyroid level, and use a VPAP machine (that's different from CPAP).

Does anyone else here have a pacemaker? Would love for you to share your eperience.

Thanks,

I've got one! I have total heart block and am 100% pacemaker dependent.
I also tend to v-tach and have a defibrillator, in addition to my meds.

The pacemaker surgery will put you out of service for a week or 2. No driving for at least a week. No lifting arm above shoulder level for 4 weeks or so. No running/bouncing for about that same period of time.

You'll be swollen and sore for a few weeks, too. And it may take a few visits to get the pacemaker settings optimized for you. But you'll feel better! You'll be surprised how much perkier you feel when you get enough circulation!

Hubby has pacemaker

Hubby has pacemaker

Hi, my husband just got a pacemaker in May because he passed out and smashed his nose and broke a rib. He has been followed by my cardio for a few years because of bradycardia and has fainted before, but this time he hurt himself so we went to the ER of the Montreal Heart Institute. That first night in the ER he also had a HR of 31.

During his pacemaker checkup 2 months afterwards, they said he was 2% pacemaker dependent. However, having that pacemaker kick in that 2% of the time really helps. He is back to swimming and feeling good.

Hi Shari, I got a pacemaker a couple of weeks after surgery. I was in pretty rough condition and they thought that would help me. I seem to be around 98 percent dependent on the pacemaker. The way Stanford hooked up the pacemaker (1 wire outside a view directly to the heart) causes the wire to require alot of voltage and the expected battery life will require I have it replaces within the next 6 months or so. Not happy about that.

I don't really notice it per se other than I can feel it right under the skin. There are settings to ensure your heart operates within a range. When doing cardio I couldn't get my heart rate above 130. They changed the setting so now I can get up to 140.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the well wishes and the information.

The only thing my cardiologist mentioned was that because of the maze procedure, he'd have to fish around for a while to find an optimal place for the leads. I know I also have one "lead tip" still embedded from the temporary pacemaker during surgery.

I'm really looking forward to taking off some weight with a well-functioning heart and optimal level of thyroid.

I have had an ICD for two years now and have only been "paced" once but sparky has revived me twice
tahdah.gif
I will send you a link to a support group for specific questions
I have the same moniker there as well ....I have posted your date on our calendar so we will join you in spirit

Thanks Greg! I got the link and will get registered. I'm not sure they're talking ICD, but it's always a possibility as there are no visible "P" waves on my EEG. I'm in good hands as Dixie Regional Medical Center is a highly ranked cardio center. Dr. Nimer is really good at ensuring you're not just well... but actually feel better and can be as functional as possible.

I have a pacemaker since 2004, and have another few years left on the battery. I am only minimally dependent on the pacer, but it made a huge difference. I swim and exercise regularly, and have a resting HR around 60 bpm, and can go up to 160 bpm+ if needed. No real impact on lifestyle whatsoever. Was off work for about 2-3 weeks but did great since then (other than my second OHS in June :) but the pacer did great during and after all that).

Good luck!

--Dan

Latest posts

Back