Out of town surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drphil9001

I found out that I have a BAV and a AA two years ago. They have been watching it since that time and when I was in for my last checkup with my cardio, he suggested I see a surgeon for a consult and it looks like it is time for both to be repaired/replaced. Since then I have been doing a ton of research and learning of my condition and the operations to fix it. Needless to say that I am full of questions...

In addition to the "standard" questions about the surgery, I am in the process of getting a second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic (cardio just sent them my records) and am in debate with my family about going out there (6+ hour drive, 1+ hour flight) for the surgery.

I have read some (here and other places) about folks going away from home for this type of surgery (sometimes quite a bit of distance). So I know that people do it. But if you have, I would love to know what have been your experiences? Do you think it is better to drive, or fly? Can you fly after surgery? Why did you choose to have it down out of town? Was it even an option?

Thanks so much.
Phil

Phil

I am all new to this found out a month ago that I have a BAV.

The Cleveland Clinic is excellent.

Details yet to figure...but I will be having AVR and AR (ascending Aorta Repair) after New Years.

I got lucky in that I am seeing one of the best cardilogist in the Phila area.

He will be referring me to one of the best surgeons in the country...he is at the University of Pennsylvania.

Maybe U of P is a possible option depending on where you live in Maryland.

Heart of the Sunrise

Phil--there are excellent surgeons and cardiac surgery centers in the MD/DC/VA area. Unless you have a complicated health situation, you would do fine at one of those. I'm sure you'll find the second opinion from CC informative no matter where you have the surgery.

Best Wishes,
Debby

Phil,

Two times I've travelled from Kansas to the Cleveland Clinic for my heart surgery. Although we have very good heart surgeons in the city where I live, I preferred to go to the highest rated, highest volume place I could find. The Cleveland Clinic does more aortic valve surgeries than any other hospital in the country. For both surgeries, my wife flew to Cleveland with me and stayed at the Intercontinental Suites hotel one block away from the hospital. The care I received in Cleveland was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Flying home after surgery was no problem though I did choose non-stop flights to avoid connections and I chose to be transported through the airport in a wheel chair to avoid over-exertion. If you can afford the extra expense of flying, that would be much better than a six-hour car trip. Let me know if you have more questions.

Im driving to cc from california for surgery avr on dec 3. I have a history of radiation to the chest and an occupational hazard
of "knowing too much" that makes it worth the trip. (i think!)

Hodgkins survivor,

It's worth the trip if it gives you peace of mind to know you're going to a place where they've "seen it all" and know how to deal with whatever they find in your chest. I hope you have someone to drive you back to California.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and info! I am still getting all my info out to them to hear what they have to say as I am still in the decision stage of where to go for the surgery, hearing all your stories is great inspiration and help in this process. I hope that your travels and surgeries go well.

I live in Denver and I had my surgery done by Dr. Sabik at the Cleveland Clinic. I highly recommend the facility. We took a train to Chicago and then drove to Cleveland. (My wife is afraid to fly.) On the way back, we drove the whole way. My return trip started the afternoon that I was released. We drive from Cleveland to Indiana the first day. Indiana to Nebraska the second and then home to Denver the following day. I made sure to stop every two hours and walk around for a bit. I freely admit that I was quite fortunate with my recovery (no real setbacks) and the trip wasn't really that bad. The toughest part was sitting in the back while my wife drove. :)

Tom

Thanks Tom, my wife is in the same boat...she doesn't really like to fly, but if she can get in a plane for a vacation... :D

Guyswell, Yes, I'll be having someone drive me home, but going to stay with relatives in Houston for the holidays - assuming all goes well. Since I have a small motorhome, I can afford to take some time.

For those of you reading this who are looking at traveling long distances, it really helped me to travel out to cleveland a couple of times before for eval and tests. (I recommend doing so if you can afford it...) The place is huge!

VegasBAV, our paths may actually cross :) I'll be there for preop the week before. - Best of luck to you!

My records just got sent out earlier this week, so I am waiting for a consult and am thinking of heading out for a consult and any needed tests. Then will see if I have the AVR done close to home or at the Cleveland Clinic.

Hope everyone in the states has a great Thanksgiving!

Hi
I had my surgery done at The Cleveland Clinic Florida. Sept 28 2012. Almost 2 months ago....Unicuspid aortic valve, complicated by ascending aortic aneurysm.

We drove 5 hours... My cardiologist referred me to this surgeon. I researched a lot about another surgeon but I didn't find any that I liked and close to home. I decide to go there (Cleveland)( and not be guided by the convenience)
... After 4 days I was out, On our way back, We have to stop every hour because I need to walk. After almost 2 months I have one complication with my incision, I took few pics and sended it to him per email(Thanks God it was nothing big). If I have to drive down to the Cleveland to check me out with my surgeon I will do it. :) I LOVE HIM!

Unicuspid Aortic Valve Replace + Ascending Aortic Repair by Dr. Edward Savage, September 28, 2012 Cleveland Clinic Florida

I live in NJ but had my surgery in Plano, TX because my brother in law is a cardiologist there and therefore felt more comfortable doing this. (not to mention the fact that my local cardiologist completely misdiagnosed my BAV and kept saying it was a mitral valve prolapse for the longest time; didn't feel comfortable at all having it done through him in NJ).
I was able to fly back after my 3 week checkup with my thoracic surgeon
Hope this helps.

Don't know your location in Maryland, but there are several hospitals with excellent heart surgeons in the Washington, DC, area. I couldn't have been any happier with my experience at Inova Fairfax in Virginia. I also was BAV with an aortic aneurysm. Cleveland Clinic is highly rated, but it is not easy to travel long distance after this heavy-duty surgery. All best wishes to you wherever you decide to have it done.

I have spoken to a surgeon and the University of Maryland and know that there are other choices out there. I figured that if I can get an opinion from the best, then why not see what they have to say. I do not relish the idea of traveling after the surgery, but if they have other options for my situation (mainly a repair vs. replacement for the valve) then I may end up heading out there for the surgery. Otherwise, I think I may just stick with the UofMD.

Thanks all!

VegasBAV, good luck with your surgery and the trip to/from Cleveland!

Latest posts

Back