Our Dog Andromeda Is Paralyzed Again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little Shih Tzu was limping badly for a while. I checked her all over and she didn't seem to be in terrible pain anywhere. I took her to the vet and they thought it was arthritis. So put her on some fancy arthritis medication to see how she did. She did very well on it. I asked them about keeping her on it permanently and then found out it would cost an enormous amount of money for the script. So scrap that. They then told me to put her on Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and gave me the dosage. They also told me that I could give a baby aspirin. I did both. The Glucosamine and Chon. takes a little while to work, but it has worked, and very well. I abandoned the baby aspirin.

However, she was still favoring one leg. So I did a more thorough body search. This is what I found. between her toes, there were a couple of spots of hardened pine sap which had accumulated some debris. I massaged them with some salad oil, got them softened, and removed them.

Then I noticed that one of her foot pads was particularly touchy. She's very furry, so I clipped off the foot fur, and found a nasty sore between her toes. I cleaned out any debris, then used Sulfladene (over the pet counter) to lessen the inflammation, and then took a swab and used Neosporin. I did this a few times per day for a couple of weeks.

It all cleared up and she is walking very well now, no limping. I do think she also has a small touch of arthritis, so I kept her on the Glucosamine/Chond.

She's now a happy camper.

So I suggest giving your beloved dog a very close up personal inspection of her foot pads, especially between her toes. If they are sore, she may not like you doing it, but speak softly to her and go slowly. If she is otherwise healthy, eating, eliminating well, alert, maybe it is something going on with her feet, or nails. I had an elderly cat once that got toenail infections and they were nasty. I have also heard about dog's toenails splitting and getting infected that way.

Maybe it's something basic like that.

Andromeda Making Slow Recovery

Andromeda Making Slow Recovery

This is a quick update. Andie is making a very slow comeback. She was able to walk on her own today about 5 feet on her own initiative for the first time in a while. She's taking chondroitin and Glucosamine supplements crushed up into powder, with aspirin, put into a can of wet dog food. I also sometimes put about 15 ml of DMSO up and down her spine and near her shoulder and hip joints. Keep her in your prayers.

Chris

I think the glucosamine and chondroitin is the answer and maybe in a little while that is all she will need.

My little Shih Tzu has been on it for a month or more now, and is walking like a little champ. She is still a tiny bit stiff when getting up from sleeping, but once she moves around that goes away.

I hope Andromeda responds as well.

Further Progress...

Further Progress...

Andromeda was able to walk over 20 feet, fully supporting her weight, from her dog pen to the outside of the garage. :) She must have had a pretty full bladder, as when I tried to turn her away from some bushes she was walking toward, she peed on my right leg. She may have done it because of the excitement of being able to walk again. I just laughed it off, and guided her the rest of the way to the mini-trampoline where she likes to sit. She climbed onto it herself, though I still had to lift her hindquarters up to finish her climb. Of course the pants are in the washing machine now. :eek:

Thanks again for the prayer and moral support. I'll update on this thread until she's out of the woods. Now I have to wait for news on my mother's surgery, and go outside and burn a pile of brush I accumulated over the past summer. I'll come back and check here later today to see what folks have posted.

Chris

Chris,

I am so glad to hear that Andie is progressing and enjoying life into this New Year. I pray that her mobility will continue to improve into the Spring and beyond. Praying also, of course, for your mother, as I mentioned in a separate post.

All best wishes,

Bob

Chris,
Give Andie and hug and a pat from me. I have a little poodle mix who has a problem if he get a little too cold. He then yelps if you try to move him. I too give him Glucosamine at the first sign of problems. I believe I will need to make it a daily thing now. Anyway, I so happy to see that Andie is progressing. I will keep praying that things continue to improve.
Oh yea my three wet noses send their best wishes (Roxie, Max & Sophie):D

Andie walked most of the way back to her pen tonight, though I had to help her a bit. She walked to her bed before she collapsed onto it. It will be a near thing. She needs to be ambulatory enough to get out of her pen on her own before I leave to take care of my mother. Pray that she is able-bodied enough to no longer need to be carried at all anymore, so Laura can go to work without needing to be concerned that Andie is helpless somewhere when I go to stay with my mother during her recuperation from her hip replacement.

Chris

Hi, Chris-
So glad Andie is doing better. I wanted to send you this link to read, though it may not be Andie's issue. Degenerative Myleopathy is very common in hunting and large dogs. I'm dealing with it for the second time with my second Irish Setter. The good news is there is no pain for the dog. Just thought the symptom list might be helpful for ruling out a possibility.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/caninehealthdogs/a/VVP_degenmyel2.htm

Pet Andie for me.

She's Walking Better Every Day...

She's Walking Better Every Day...

Here's another update. Andie, though a bit emaciated from some muscle mass loss, has now been able to walk without help for the past two days for up to 40 feet at a time. She's not yet running around, but she can stand up and lay down by herself. I'll be able to go to California to tend to my mother without having to have Andromeda put down. :)

Thanks for all of the prayers and continued support.

Chris

It might be what my cat woke up with this one day and it was called saddle thrombus, there is nothing they can do for it except give them a shot and see if it works, I had to put him to sleep the next day he was 13 years old. So sad for you, they bring us such joy and happiness in there short time here, how can we ever think they have no souls! Mine do I just know they do! There quality of life is more important to them, than us trying to keep them around just for ourselves. I have a 13 year old dog now that is going down very fast I know I will have to walk that road very soon!! :( God Bless

Here's another update. Andie, though a bit emaciated from some muscle mass loss, has now been able to walk without help for the past two days for up to 40 feet at a time. She's not yet running around, but she can stand up and lay down by herself. I'll be able to go to California to tend to my mother without having to have Andromeda put down. :)

Thanks for all of the prayers and continued support.

Chris

Chris:

This is great news!!!!

BTW: I would have thought that by now, we'd be without our nearly 14YO cat, Fred, due to his kidney failure. However, his appetite has picked up enormously. (Am going to post another thread here in Small Talk.)

So sometimes when things look kinda bleak, things surprise us.

hi chris,
so glad to hear andi is doing so much better. i have also found that glucosamine is a wonder med with our golden retriever. she has her left ACL surgically repaired this past july and the vet told me she might end up needing her other one done. well, i just brought her home from her second ACL surgery and i was up all night long with her last night (panting, moaning, wimpering).
her first repaired leg is still healing and she has arthritis as well. so she is having great difficulty walking altogether. it's so sad to see.
the glucosamine helped her healing tremendously the first time and i'm hoping it will work as well this time. (i had stopped giving it to her for a week and saw a marked difference in how she managed her leg).
they say it works well in humans; anyone know anything about that?

it's so difficult when our pets suffer; they are our babies.
i'm so glad that andi is improving with each new day_ such good news.
be well,
sylvia

I have problems with my left knee and did not want to have to start going to the doctor every week for PT and end up with surgery. I thought I would give the new Elations drinks a try. They contain the glucosamine and only 30 calories. They come in 4 flavors and taste pretty good. After one week I noticed a big difference. I was able to get through the whole holiday season of shopping,wrapping,decorating and cooking with no pain in my knee. Remarkable I thought. You drink one a day and they started working after the fourth day. They are a little expensive at 7.99 a 6 pack but BJs sells a case of 24 for 18.99. At least they may help me hold off from going to the doctor for another year or two

Yay Andromeda!
Hopefully she is not covering up too much pain.
For a couple of weeks, we gave my Lab low dose Aspirin at night time to enable her to sleep soundly.
If she progresses to panting and whimpering, she may have excessive pain and require prescription meds.
Best wishes.

News from Idaho: Andromeda had gotten so active she was tangling up her tie-out cable, so she's back in the dog yard with her goat friends. So far she's not running, but can walk hundreds of feet according to Laura. Right now Andie should be okay. If things change for the worse, I'll post here again. Right now I have to concentrate on Laura's mother and being there at least in spirit for Laura during this tough time.

Chris

Latest posts

Back