Our Dog Andromeda Is Paralyzed Again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Hello All,

Sorry to bear bad news on my 2nd Valversary, but Andie our malamute/black lab cross started to get weak on Monday, and by Tuesday morning was no longer able to stand up under her own power. Like the previous episode last year, she doesn't appear to be in any pain, and has remained continent (both solid and liquid). She can move her tail a little bit, but this time all four of her legs are equally affected. I immediately tried DMSO treatments like last year, but this time she didn't rally, though she hasn't gotten much worse either. I took her to the vet yesterday and he gave her a cortisone shot, but this morning there was no change. The weather was really cold for about the same period of time with lows of -10° F and highs in the mid teens. Last night a warm front arrived with some snow and the temperature rose above freezing for the first time in a week. Andie hasn't rallied yet. So I'm asking for prayers for her recovery. She's not in pain, and wants to go on living. She just needs to get back up on her feet again and regain her strength.

Chris

My thoughts are with you. I have been there too.

My thoughts are with you. I have been there too.

I am so very sorry that you must make this most important decision. I have been where you are with more than several cats in the past. At this time, I am watching my 17 year old cat and hoping that we have a few more months with the lovely Pookey.

When we find our selves in this position, it is indeeed hard to know what to do. No one prepared us to be judge and jury...and maybe...executioner...

Our campanion animals rely on us to make decisions for them. In past, I have been ill advised and ill informed. I chose my own wants and needs. It is so hard to impose our needs on those lovely beings who have loved us unconditionally for years.

Please know that whatever you choose is the right decision.

Blanche

Chris,

Sorry to hear about Andromeda's troubles. I hope she comes around. Blanche is right, we all need to think about how we will handle the end-of-life decisions for our companion pets. It is a difficult thing to consider. Warm thoughts and prayers being sent for Andromeda.

Here is also a happy valversary wish that you are doing well. Congratulations!
John

So sorry, Chris, to read of Andromeda's troubles. I will certainly send up my prayers for her. I know how difficult it is to see our beloved and faithful canine companions in straits like this. Hope and prayer for a second miracle for her.

My thoughts are with you and your dear friend. I know how difficult it is to hope for your furry companion and not know how to tell her what's going on and how much you care.

Best wishes,

Last year my 14 yr old lab also went down paralysed in the back end, but I knew after 24 hours that she was in pain and she didn't come out of it. Fortunately we had a nice livestock vet who came to the farm and helped with our decision. Best wishes to you and Andie, I remember her picture, she is a lovely doggie.

Hello All,

Sorry to bear bad news on my 2nd Valversary, but Andie our malamute/black lab cross started to get weak on Monday, and by Tuesday morning was no longer able to stand up under her own power. Like the previous episode last year, she doesn't appear to be in any pain, and has remained continent (both solid and liquid). She can move her tail a little bit, but this time all four of her legs are equally affected. I immediately tried DMSO treatments like last year, but this time she didn't rally, though she hasn't gotten much worse either. I took her to the vet yesterday and he gave her a cortisone shot, but this morning there was no change. The weather was really cold for about the same period of time with lows of -10° F and highs in the mid teens. Last night a warm front arrived with some snow and the temperature rose above freezing for the first time in a week. Andie hasn't rallied yet. So I'm asking for prayers for her recovery. She's not in pain, and wants to go on living. She just needs to get back up on her feet again and regain her strength.

Chris
I'm sorry to read this and was going to reply earlier but wanted to check something with my husband first.

I have to tell you about our large old mutt. Our beloved Clover is over 9 but developed a severe case of parvo a month after being "rescued" as a miserably sick pup and has never been vigorously healthy, in fact has always seemed much older than her years.

Anyway, last year she lost her best canine friend, our other dog Daisy, was extremely depressed about it, and then took a bad fall early last winter -- long story but she jumped very badly out of the back of a pickup while we were rounding up the neighbor's pig -- and Clover seemed to be badly damaged or partially paralyzed in the backside. I thought it was over for her.

Extensive x-rays didn't show any breaks and the Vet decided she must have torn something. She just couldn't get better and even dragged her backside around with her front legs. Picture Steve Martin in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"?

At some point the Vet had us put her on some form of prescription thyroid medication but he also told us to put her on a combo-glucosamine pill. It is amazing how much these have helped her.

We just ran out of the pills and I couldn't find the bottle and that's what I wanted to check with my husband before my post but I think we bought the bottle of canine glucosamine stuff at Target on one of the dog product aisles. She suffers without it.

Also, another thing that brought even more new life into our old dog was another pup we "rescued" in May, Blossom. She's about a fourth the size of Clover and the two of them look entirely different from each other but are otherwise two happy peas in a pod. That's another story though.

Anyway I wanted to tell you what the glucosmine pills did for our very ill old dog. I hope this is helpful and I'm hoping for the best for your Andie :) .

Some friend's dog had a similar condition recently.

They ended up taking the dog to a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. It was naturally quite expensive and unfortunately unsuccessful in the end.

Bottom Line: They later sent out an e-mail with several links to articles about similar reactions to common MEDICATIONS for dogs. I'm thinking the issue was a neurological side effect of some medication.

I've forgotton the details and can't find the e-mails.
I will see if they can re-send that information.

'AL C'

Thanks for the support so far. I put her inside for the night and she's warmer now that the weather is above freezing and she has a blanket and a heat lamp. I'll keep everyone posted on any changes in Andie's condition. Please keep the prayers going. For health and healing, but if it is her time, also for the strength to do the right thing.

Chris

Chris & Laura, sorry you're going through this again. Andromeda has our prayers, as do you. As the others have noted, this is certainly difficult to go through and I have empathy for the "heart hurt" you have for a hurting animal loved one.

Here's the information my friend sent me on
*immune medicated hemolytic anemia*.

I don't know if this is the problem Andie is having or not but you may want to discuss this with her Veterinarian.

It's not only Heartgard and Interceptor but vaccines could have something to do with immune medicated hemolytic anemia as well. There are also "other" things which can tripper IMHA and knowledge is power.

You may have heard where there is talk about vaccinations becoming every 3 years versus yearly and part of the push for this is due to the below. If you have concerns over vaccinations you can also get your vet to send a letter to the state (not sure what department) where your pet is exempt from receiving vaccinations but your pet has to have a really valid reason like having recovered from IMHA.

Heartgard and Interceptor both have come under a lot of scrutiny as potential
causes of immune medicated hemolytic anemia and immune mediated
thrombocytopenia

http://www.vetinfo.com/dimha.html

http://www.livestrong.com/groups/group/dog-lovers-united21/blog/167295/

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1cpih-adopted-2-puppies-chevy-4

http://www.spoiled-paws.com/ph6.htm

So very sorry that your beloved pet is going thru such a tough time right now. I pray for strength & peace if & when you have to make that fateful decision for your faithful friend.

Just keep her warm, comfortable & give her lots of hugs......she knows you love her very much, so much that you'll know when it's time to let go.

Take care.

hang in there

hang in there

we know you will do the right things for Andie...

blessings,
Diana and Mike

Chris,

Here is the response from my friend whose dog suffered from anemia:

Quote:

They are in our prayers and it does sound awfully familiar....let's hope she hangs tough and pulls through.

I'd get the dog to the vet for a Coombs test to see if she's anemic or going anemic. If she is going anemic there are so many things which can trigger the onset..let's hope and pray for the doggies.

End Quote

Oh my goodness, do I ever know how you feel. I've lost so many furry friends and we get so attached to them. My little 15 year old Bichon is blind, deaf and can barely walk but she is still hanging on. She is still eating and begging for her treats but she sleeps most of the time. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she just can't walk very well. I know in the very near future I'm going to have to make a decision but I'm just not ready to do that yet. Hang in there and I'll be praying for you.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your support and continued kind words. Andie still is hanging in there. We carried her out onto the driveway so she could see the kids and me make a snowman. I then fed her a bowl of wet dog food, which she ate with gusto. She can still wag her tail, but her paws, especially her front ones fold under when she tries to stand. Oddly, it seems her back legs are slightly improved but front legs a bit worse. If I support her chest, she can almost walk normally with her back legs, though they still can't bear her full weight.

She was the first dog Laura and I got as a couple. We got her a couple of months after we moved to Anchorage, AK, from Twin Falls, ID. She, and a 12 year old cat named Blip are the two animals we got while up there (aside from some tropical fish long since dead). I also have an 18-19 year old Persian cross cat who is still healthy, though her fur mats somewhat now (I got her as a full-grown cat when I first moved to Idaho in 1993 to start teaching chemistry at CSI), and her 15 year old granddaughter, once a kitten I gave to Laura when we had been dating only a month at the time. We even have a geriatric chicken, a Golden Sebright hen named Evita who is 15 years old--can't prove it for Guinness Book of Records, but it's enough that we know her age. She was 7 years old when we got her 8 years ago from an elderly woman who needed a home for her aging chickens. These animals have been with us for so long it will be tough when it's time to say goodbye to any of them.

Thanks for being so understanding.

Chris

Update on Andromeda...

Update on Andromeda...

While she's still not suffering any, Andromeda's progress to being able to walk again hasn't taken place much either. She's not suffering and happily wags her tail (normally I might add) when we see her, and doesn't whimper or whine. Her eyes are bright and cheerful, and she still eats with a good appetite, both wet and dry food. She can go through more or less normal walking motions when I support about half of her weight, but she can't stand unassisted. Her paws curl under, though when she tries, though. She remains continent, and eats and drinks well.

The brief warm spell (temperatures approaching 50° F a few times this week) is coming to an end and we'll have a cold Christmas with lows dipping down to single digits and highs in the 20s. We're expecting probable snow by morning, and it should stick around for Christmas due to the expected cold afterward. I was hoping (and praying) that Andie would rally, but she hasn't done so yet. The DMSO hasn't done much this time, but I haven't been doing it daily, either. I noticed the last time I treated her, the DMSO caused her some discomfort and she whimpered for about an our after I evenly put 15 ml put up and down her spine. Anyone have any recommendations for lessening the discomfort? She hasn't had recent vaccinations, and our own vet has suggested every 3 years for the dogs and every 2 years for the cats.

I take her outside and lay her on a mini trampoline during the day so she can look around and be out where we can all go say hi to her regularly whenever we're outside. She'll pee when I hold her up just after getting her out of her inside dog pen to the outside. In case she doesn't go when I hold her up and can't hold her urine later, the trampoline's open mesh allows it to go through so it doesn't soak into her fur. The ground is quite muddy from the melted ice and recent rain, so I don't feel comfortable having her sit or lie directly on the ground right now. Once the soil re-freezes, I may let her have more time on the ground again.

Keep her in all your prayers--perhaps a Christmas miracle?

Chris

Chris:

I'm praying for a Christmas miracle. It's soooo hard to see a beloved pet go through hard times. And your dog is particularly special to you, since she's the first dog you & Laura got as a couple; she brings back many memories.

Keep us posted.

I'm facing similar things with our nearly 14YO Aby, Fred, whose kidneys are failing. He seems to always be hungry, but we're not quite sure what he really craves. He dislikes getting subcutaneous fluids, but I have to give them.

Determining when you've passed that fine line of "quality of life" is so difficult.

Back