Opinion poll: is valentines day stunt risky for those with mechanical valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weissarthur

Hello all,

Valentines day approaches and I'm in love:) My small town has this fun contest where they break a hole in the ice in a frozen lake and men declare their love and then splash into the icy water while the person of our affections warmly giggle at our silly antics... and generally love it. (http://www.therockfordnetwork.com/sweetheart-splash.php)

My question is this...

Would this activity too risky for someone with mechanical heart valves to do?

For the record, I am now several years out of heart surgery and am generally healthy, in my mid-fourties and considered to be in "good shape".

All comments and opinions are welcome:)

Hmmm, do you have any other cardiac issues? Prone to arrhythmia? Other than that I can't think of a reason why having a mechanical valve should be anything to worry about. Still seems crazy but...

Sounds like a stunt cooked up for high school boys with testosterone raging thru their veins . At age 45, I wouldn't do it with or without an artificial heart valve. Love may be blind....but not ??????

Lol not chance love or no love unless of course l was giggling warmly .. lol !
Seriously nope but lm only 28 days out and l've learned my lesson.
I would think that's taking an aweful big chance ... only my opinion.
Have fun !

This would be a good question for your cardiologist.
Extreme temperature changes to body temp can cause issues.
Do you have A-Fib at times with your mechanical valve? If so, it would be a "NO" in your poll from me.

This looks like more fun.

U3xyEWi.jpg

I've considered doing the Polar Plunge, sounds similar but it's to raise money for Special Olympics. My valve is bovine and although I don't think it matters what type valve you have, I agree with Robthatsme that any afib issues might make it risky. Otherwise I don't think your valve replacement should put you at any greater risk than an individual with their native valve.

Latest posts

Back