Open Water Swim

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my first open water swim race at the weekend. This was my first ever open water swim and I had to buy a triathlon wet suit to do this as the water was cold. The swim was one mile in Derwent Water in the Lake District. I had to swim out into the lake then round an island and back again. It was very windy which made the swimming very difficult. I think this is the first sporting event I have done post op where I have felt almost normal. I struggle with running now as I am much slower but swimming feels almost the same as pre surgery. I ended up 21st out of 190 which I was really pleased with. I have now entered another race next week in Coniston Water (which is also in the Lake District).

Congratulations, Martin. An open water race is tough, but like you, I found I could swim easier than I could run post-op. I attribute it to the cooling effect of the water. I'm looking forward to your report from next week's race.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. One of the reasons for posting this was some people who have had valve replacement want to get back to their former self. For some unknown reason (for some of us) we do not return back to post op abilities - my self included. What I have found is that I need to find something different which I can do. In my case my swimming ability is fairly close to pre op (to within 10%) but running ability/tolerance is much less and I did not do any open water swimming before. So for myself, doing something different means I do not have anything to compare with, i.e. everything is new, new records to chas etc.

I have heard of a few people to can swim OK after surgery but other activities are difficult - see Buzz Lannings post below and I am sure there are more:-

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...y-All-is-well!&p=405232&highlight=#post405232

Someone suggested that swimming requires a lower heart rate.

Martin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back