Open Heart vs Minimal Invasive

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Open Heart vs Minimal Invasive

• Total voters
Hi, Ruby—

I'm nine days out from AVR using a mini-sternotomy (incision about 3 1/2 inches). I'd thought that I wanted a through-the-ribs approach, but my surgeon explained that he was most comfortable going through the sternum in case he needed greater access quickly, as well as there being fewer potential issues with nerve damage. I listened and decided I was fine with this. The heart-lung bypass machine was connected through the same incision.

I have to say, I'm pleased with my progress so far, although it has been nothing like as dramatic as skrzyp's above! At this point, I have very minimal pain, and I was thrilled last night to be able to sleep for several hours on my right side and for a bit longer on my left. I'd fully expected to have to wait weeks, if not months, before resuming my favored sleeping positions. I'm careful, of coure, and use lots of pillows strategically, but oh, man, did it feel blissful to be able to curl up and stretch my back and hips last night! Back sleeping makes me feel ill, even if I'm not, so if this is one of the benefits of a smaller sternotomy, then I'm sold!

Sounds as if you've got all the elements of a successful surgery lined up. Warmest and besest wishes to you!

Jane

Hi Jane - that sounds great! I am sleeping nearly sitting upright now even though post op due to breathing issues and I cant wait to sleep on my side too.

I was hoping some of you guys who speak fluent Dr/Card could help me decifer this letter....

"we might consider cryoablation at the same time to stabilise her rythm in sinus"

Hi Jane - that sounds great! I am sleeping nearly sitting upright now even though post op due to breathing issues and I cant wait to sleep on my side too.

I was hoping some of you guys who speak fluent Dr/Card could help me decifer this letter....

"we might consider cryoablation at the same time to stabilise her rythm in sinus"

Usually Its referred to ablation, if you want to search here for others who've had it done. They pretty much freeze cells that are causing rhythm problems, so you would be stabalized and stay in sinus (normal) rythm.

Last edited:
I asked my surgeon which was the least risky way for my AVR where he could get in and out and less time on the pump. So we went full stermotomy. He would have also done a median sternotomy, but he demonstrated the difference in placement of the incision and they start much higher up on the Median sternotomy - so I chose the full - just so my scar would be hidden under clothes most of the time. Vain I know. He would have done minimally invasive too if I wanted it. I just wanted what he thought was the best.

Latest posts

Back