Ooh, scary visit to dentist...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all--
As many of you know, it's only been since my surgery that I've been having dental issues. I began grinding before my surgery, although my dentist says I've been grinding longer than I think I have due to wear and tear on my toofies...but despite the nightguard which I wear every night, I'd been dealing with constant aches and pains. When I went to pick up my new nightguard, my dentist took a look around and said, "You need your teeth cleaned every three months instead of every six." Apparently I'm predisposed to plaque build-up despite brushing, flossing (not the best at doing it all the time, but I try) and rinsing. He saw signs of gingivitis and told me to schedule an appointment for a cleaning.

My cardio has already released me for dental work; he'd faxed a form to my dentist explaining so, but I'm nervous. I did talk to Dr. V and he reassured me that my valve is strong and healthy, to pre-medicate, and not to worry. My appointment is this week, and as much as I look forward to starting anew with my teeth, I'm also pretty nervous. Bacterial endocarditis is like the Boogey Man to me.

Part of me wants to tell my dentist, "Go ahead and just give me dentures!" :rolleyes: (I know, I'm only 31), but I guess what I'm trying to say, or rather, ask you all is to wish me luck with the dentist!

Thanks,
Debi (debster913)

Debi:

It probably IS recommended to have dentals every 3 months, and it sure helps a dental practice's bottom line to have a portion of their patients doing that.
See if you can reach a compromise of every 4-5 months instead of 3.

I must admit, I have wondered about the recomendation to come in every 3 months versus the normal 6 months for a cleaning. Catwoman is right about the bottom line thing for the Dr. That said, I seem to have quite a bit of plaque build up and so more often that every 6 months may make sense. I personally think every 3 months is too much especially taking into account the cost.

I am now flossing at least 3 times a week and using a Sonicare electric toothbrush. This routine while tedious I think is very good for your teeth and gums and initially believe it should offset the need to see the dentist every three months. And besides, this routine has to be good for you teeth and gums.

My thought would be to try the flossing and Sonicare type toothbrush and go every 4 to 5 months to the dentist. See how that goes.

Good luck.

Mile High

If I Might Add...

If I Might Add...

One word: "Floss."

I've read studies that show that unhealthy teeth and gums are a risk factor for heart disease. Flossing is the best way to keep your teeth & gums healthy.

I know it's kind of a pain in the ass. I didn't do it for years. But once you get into the habit, it becomes second nature and can provide tremendous health benefits. And your breath will be fresher, also! :D

An electric toothbrush is also a good idea.

FWIW, if it were me, I'd go every 3 months until my gums were healthy again. Just my $.02.

My thought is that you are doing the best thing you can do to prevent endocarditis by caring for your teeth and gums on a regular basis....including professional cleaning either as recommended or perhaps a bit of a compromise to every 4-5 months.

Take your medications prior to your cleaning and you should be fine!

It's scary, I know, but I think that not taking care of them puts you at much more risk.

Take care.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I'd personally feel much better going every three months and I promise, like a good girl, to floss every day after I get my teeth cleaned. It's just that the nighttime grinding and clenching have been pushing the nasties into my gums, thereby irritating them and causing this nasty gingivitis. I've learned my lesson: Taking care of my mouth = healthier heart. :D I probably won't stop the grinding/clenching, and that's why I wear my nightguard EVERY night, but I can keep my teeth and gums healthy by seeing the dentist more regularly than I have been.

Here's to a successful cleaning visit! ;)

Debi (debster913)

One other thing you might want to add to your regimen...Listerine. :eek:

I have never been good about flossing...I do brush 2-3 times a day...but after my bout with endocarditis I decided to start swishing that vile stuff twice a day. It really does do a good job at killing the germs that cause plaque and gingivitis. After my surgery I told my surgeon that I was using Listerine twice a day as a preventative measure, and he said that was probably a good idea (his way of saying good thinking Bryan...lol). It took awhile to get used to the burning...and swishing for 30 seconds seemed like an eternity...but I figure if it's burning it's killing the bugs. :D

Yeah something I've found that's possibly an alternative to Listerine is Crest Pro-Health rinse. Their lable implys it works about as well as Listerine but without the intense flavor :) My gums are also not good, and I have to watch out for gingivitis, too. I've thought about one of those Sonic toothbrushes....but aren't those kind of hard on the teeth & gums if you're not used to them? Couldn't you inadvertently introduce bacteria to your bloodstream THAT way, too?

Best of luck to you deb, I'm SURE things will go very very well for you :) As long as you've premedicated, what else can ya do?

Bryan B said:

I have never been good about flossing...I do brush 2-3 times a day...but after my bout with endocarditis I decided to start swishing that vile stuff twice a day. It really does do a good job at killing the germs that cause plaque and gingivitis. After my surgery I told my surgeon that I was using Listerine twice a day as a preventative measure, and he said that was probably a good idea (his way of saying good thinking Bryan...lol). It took awhile to get used to the burning...and swishing for 30 seconds seemed like an eternity...but I figure if it's burning it's killing the bugs. :D

Bryan B said:

Precisely! I hate the stuff with a passion, but my check ups and gum problems have been far better since starting to use it.

Hello everyone:

My husband has a dental routine that I thought I might share. He is incredibly careful, and takes at least 10-15 minutes every morning and evening to take care of his teeth/gums. He also brushes after eating anything.

He uses an electric toothbrush. Then he flosses. Then he uses a water pick. I can tell you that should you decide to buy one, the very first time you use it you will be AMAZED at what remained in your teeth. Many small bits of food will become dislodged, and you will see them as they float down the sink. (I know it sounds disgusting, but you would be absolutely convinced after using this thing one time.) I doubt you would ever NOT use it daily again. I have used it, as it comes with mutiple heads. It is an incredible tool. I use luke warm water, as my teeth are very sensitive. he thing is well worth the money. - Marybeth

Marybeth:

I wore braces in 1967-68 & had my lower jaw reduced surgically & jaws wired shut for 6 weeks that year. Only way to keep my teeth clean during those 6 weeks was with a WaterPik. (Try getting strawberry seeds out of wire braces w/out it!)
I used it until it gave up the ghost.
Since then, I've used an electric toothbrush.

I'm supposed to go every 3 months but it ends up being like every 4 months because I usually reschedule. I do floss everyday and have seen a big improvement, very short time in the dental chair. I use a electronic flosser, it vibrates as you floss your teeth. It's quite a nifty tool as it vibrates against the tooth will flossing and it supposed to clean the plaque really good, plus it massages your gum, it feels good, and it helps create better circulation in your gums as well. It's also easier to floss because you don't have to put your hands or fingers in your mouth. It's just a long handle with floss inserts you can buy at the drug store. I can't think of the name but my dentist gave it to me.

I took my antibiotics and was a little nervous. It was also the first time I had my teeth cleaned on Coumdin. It was not a big deal. It was not bloody at all.

See my smile :D

Debster, How strange to read your post ... my little Andrew has a terrible time with plaque build-up also ... even with me brushing his teeth for him every day. I was just thinking to myself the other day that he needs to have a cleaning done in between his regular 6 mos appts. to help keep that build-up in check. Maybe I will try having him swish some Listerine, although I don't foresee that going over very well....!!

Latest posts

Back