One Quick Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this quick question is about eligibility to receive a H1N1 shot, I suspect whether folks who have had valve replacement fall into the risk catagory associated with heart disease will depend upon how local public health officials intrepret the rules.

I was already approached by county public health officials and told that I would qualify as high risk candidate. I guess some health care professionals consider people who've had heart valves replaced as fragile. I passed on the offer to get the shot.

The best way to get a quick, accurate answer is to visit with the officials in your area about their interpretation of the rules. Speculation among members here makes for interesting, fun discussion, but the people who interpret the rules in your area probably won't be doing any posts here to answer your question.

-Philip

Exactly. The only one who can decide if Freddie is eligible for the flu shot is the person in charge at her local clinic.
Most of Canada is still trying to vaccinate the toddlers, the people with asthma and respiratory illness, and those with chronic immune disorders.
My late Mom was always vacced for everything due to a kidney transplant.

I'd call my family doctor's office and get their input. If your doctor feels you meet the criteria, his office can contact the county health officials and make his thoughts known. At least that's how it works in our state.

Phillip, if you're a school principal, perhaps they're more concerned with your transmitting the virus to members of the school community?

Heart Disease...What's That?

Heart Disease...What's That?

For what it's worth (and that's not much), I've always felt my heart disease issues were addressed when the problems were fixed in March 2007. I'm actually kinda offended when well-meaning folks ask me about how I'm doing with my heart condition. I don't consider myself to have a heart condition any more.

Regardless of what I think about my health, Ross's short commentary is very accurate. Like it or not, the label is a stickey one. Like most labels, this one comes with advantages and disadvantages.

If you're one of those folks who wants to move up on the H1N1 qualification list, use your "condition" to your advantage. Make a big deal about being in an at-risk group.

If you're one of those, like me, who wants nothing to do with getting a shot for H1N1, raise a fuss about wanting people to leave you alone because your "condition" has been cured and that you don't qualify as at-risk any more.

-Philip

I just called Info Santé which is a help line in Quebec about health issues. There was even a number to push for questions about H1N1. In any case, when I told the woman on the line about my particular circumstances (MV repair etc.), she said that absolutely I would be accepted for the group of people between 19 and 65 who have a "chronic illness". For my region that starts on November 16. My husband though has to wait until at least November 30 when they do the general public.

Well I have just been told by my GP to book in for a seasonal Flu shot, plus I'll get swine flu when the vaccine turns up.

As to the do we have heart disease question, I dunno.

You know when you get to ride a rollercoaster and they have warning signs saying you shouldn't ride if you have a heart condition......well after a valve swap do you have a condition and would you ride ?

All very interesting responses. I asked my cardiologist one time if my AS was considered Heart Disease and he kind of hem hawed around and said 'Well no, I'd call it valvular disease.' Of course I still have my bad valve at this point. I would say most definitely that I am a heart patient - given that I go every 4 months now for an echo. The context of my question wasn't for the flu shot but related to forms you have to fill out with any insurance app or new Dr. you might see.

Rhena

People on ASA are in the high risk group because of the possible complications of fever and fluid retention during the flu. Did you know that the flu virus can and does attack the smooth muscles in your body, thus the heart and many other internal organs are prime targets as homes for the virus?

Back in 2000 after my first surgery I read about a valve patient who landed in CICU with a severe bout of pericarditis, caused by the flu. So, yes, hie on into your clinic when the shot opens to adults under 65 with chronic conditions and get the shot (provided you aven't already been diagnosed with H1N1).

Take heart,
Pamela.

Hi I am new here and reading your history, you are not new to heart problems. I am a 37 year old female recently diagnosed with BAV, mild stenosis, mild regurgitation. Reading through my echo results I also had trivial mitral regurg and pulmonic valve regurg. I don't think I have any symptoms... Going to cardiologist next week, any quesion suggestions and what do you know about this from your experience. thanks, Heather

Hi Heather,
you should start a new thread and tell us everything about yourself.
We'll be more than happy to help you out. Keep in mind the weekend can be a little slow.
P.S.
Welcome to the forum

I am usually good on the computer, but can't figure out how to start new thread.

Heather, let me try to guide you.
Go to main forum page and click on (for example) "Heart Talk"

On the top left side of that new page, you will see "New Thread", click on that. That should get you to a new thread all of your own. make sure put in a title like "I'm a Newbe" then tell us all about yourself.

I thought all prosthesis were at risk when infection of any sort enters the body.
My husband is still going through an almost two year ordeal with his knee prosthesis. The infectious disease doctors could not identify it as it was sterile and they said it could have been caused by a cut or by a bug of some sort or even mold. There are all kinds of infections and things that will go right to a prosthesis so I have always been told I was at high risk and to get the flu shot and take care.
I also have chronic atrial fibrillation which puts me in a weaker conditions as some of who have had vr do. I suppose that A fib is considered heart disease. Does anyone else know?
My doctor has me on her high risk list.

When papers come up for me and it says Heart Disease I check YES.

Then I check other, and I put Aortic Valve Stenosis

And after next week, it will be Ross Procedure Valve Replacement to cure Aortic Stenosis on my other

Back