ON-X valve noise vs ATS valve noise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CANI33

Hi everyone
I¨m 35 years old. I have a bicuspid artic valve with severe stenosis. I wrote other times but finaly my surgery date is the next 12/07/10. I think that choise a mechanical valve is the more durable option with less posibilitys of reoperations. The anticoagulation is not a problem for me. But I now that the noise of mechanical valves can afect de quality of life of patients, and more in the young adults groups. Please I will be acknowledge about your experience using this kind of valves. This is a very important and dificult desicion for me. Thanks

Cristian

I just had AVR a couple of weeks ago and I received an ATS valve. I was told that weight was a factor in hearing the valve and that since I am average height and I weigh 155 pounds, that I might hear the valve.

While I was in the hospital right after surgery, I definitely heard the valve, but my wife or anyone else without a stethoscope could not hear it. After about five days I started to hear it less and less. Now I hear it occasionally, but it is very faint and it doesn't bother me like it did in the hospital. Most of the time I don't hear it at all.

I'm 5'8" weighing 185 lbs. I really didn't notice the clicking of my St. Jude Regent mechanical valve in the hospital, but I'm still trying to get use to it at bedtime. I hear and/or feel it during the day, but the external surrounding noises helps.

My aorta was also replaced including part of the arch. This may be why I hear a high-pitched "ting".

In bed when it's quiet, lying flat on my back with my head straight is the loudest. If I turn my head to up/down to either side, I can find a position that muffles or deadens the tinging.

Also, I understand the noise may fade after the heart heals and the beat is not as forceful.

I'm 39 and had my AVR 6 1/2 weeks ago.

Christian, for most of us, the noise issue is not a problem. Although I am sure that some folks have noise issues with their valve, I believe they are very much in the minority. After the first couple months, and as my heart healed, my valve clicking went away. I am a small man, 5'9" and now 170lbs, although my weight after surgery was probably 140lbs. I cannot hear it in a quiet room and I have one of the old versions:eek2:

I have a St. Jude Regent and am 6'2 and about 245 lbs. My doc also said size/weight can be a factor, although it's not very predictable. He said if I was a skinnier guy, he might have considered a different valve. Turns out I do hear mine all the time anyway, even though I've got plenty of fat, lol. Doesn't bother me much, but I can hear it. From what I've heard, the On-X is supposed to be a little quieter than mine, and I think the ATS is supposed to be quieter too. The only time it has bothered me is when I was having some irregular beats - part of the recovery process for me. The click made the irregular beats a lot more obvious! Some people (with good hearing) can even hear it outside my body (even from a few feet away). And I had the same concern you do before surgery. But for me, it really hasn't been a big a deal. Doesn't keep me up at night or anything - of course, when I'm tired, I'm tired and can crash even with the TV on, so that might be different for some folks. The one thing I'm slightly worried about is whether it will bother someone sleeping next to me or laying on me, I'm single now, but hope to change that someday . I suppose the answer to that is - if she cares enough about me, it won't bother her... Hope so!

Noise

Noise

I have a porcine valve so I am on silent running. I have accepted a redo as part of living a full on life.
I wanted a normal life as I have a no other issues other than an AVR.:)
Would you like to be riding track days on a MC at a moto GP circuit at 200+kph/120+MPH on ACT.:eek:
None of my partners in 5+ years post AVR have even noticed that I have had an AVR, until I have pointed it out.:).

Cristian....I just got a St Jude mechanical and altho i hear it when i sit in certain positions, its not annoying and it doesn't keep me awake. As Andy and others had told me, it is a reassuring sound and it rather puts me to sleep. And I am someone who needs silence to sleep so I was worried about the sound as you are. Don't worry though, choose what you and the surgeon feels is best for you and go with it with no looking back. You are going to do GREAT!!! Mike

St Jude with aortic conduit. No "click" but rather a muffled "thump", which is how you might expect any heartbeat to sound. It was more noticeable for the first few weeks after surgery, especially when reclining flat, but then got less and less over time. Never bothered me except at first when it was louder and I wondered if it would stay that way. No one else can hear it.

I am 9 weeks post AVR surgery and my On-X sounds like a pocket watch in a quiet room. I can hear it almost any time if I concentrate but others only when it is really quiet.
I find the clicking comforting.

Latest posts

Back