On the other side but still climbing!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzanneSLO

I had AVR and aortic repair on 6/6 with Dr. Castro and his team at Sequioa Hospital in Redwood City, CA. I can't say enough good things about everyone who took sure good care of me.

Other than needing 3 units of blood, the surgery went as well as can be expected.

Surgery on Thursday and discharge on Monday. The 3.5 hour drive home went by quickly. My bed felt like heaven and sleep is a wonderful thing.

It is great to be home and starting to work my program. I can see that every day will require an effort (even eating is exhausting) to make sure I continue getting better.

Thank you again for all your kind thoughts and support. -- Suzanne

Hey Suzanne, welcome to the other side of the mountain. Yes at first you will likely have little stamina, but if you get your rest, eat healthy food and walk, you will begin to feel better and better each and every day. Everyone heals and recovers at different rates so don't overdo even if you feel like you are ready. I say that by having been there and done that Whew!! what a mistake.
Anyway keep us posted as you get stronger. We are here for support. :)

So good to hear your are safely 'over the mountain' and wish you a smooth, bump free recovery.

You know the drill:

Eat, Breathe, Walk, Sleep and
Repeat

Do your deep breathing and walk. I found walking to be the very best thing I could do for myself to aid in good recovery.

All Best Wishes.
Let us know how you are doing.

Welcome to the other side, Suzanne! All good reminders from the other posts to take things one day at a time....every day will get a little better and the 'climb will get easier'. Be gentle with yourself.

Best wishes,

Hey, Suzanne, I'm sending you good thoughts from Mill Valley -- (almost) your neighborhood! I'm glad to hear your surgery went well, and that you were so pleased with your choice of doctor and hospital.

Suzanne, you are nothing less than phenomenal and have set the bar high for the rest of us! I am so thrilled for you and that everything went so well for you. Lucky you!

So good to hear your are safely 'over the mountain' and wish you a smooth, bump free recovery.

You know the drill:

Eat, Breathe, Walk, Sleep and
Repeat

Do your deep breathing and walk. I found walking to be the very best thing I could do for myself to aid in good recovery.

All Best Wishes.
Let us know how you are doing.

Thanks for the good common sense reminders that often get overlooked. Kind of like going back to basics.

Suzanne - Welcome to this side of the mountain! You've been given all the right information about how to facilitate your smooth recovery. Also, remember that as long as you stay alive, your body will heal itself in spite of whatever you forget to do. I'm only half kidding. I mean that you shouldn't get too anxious about all the things you want to remember to do. Other than meds, if you miss a session with your spirometer or miss a walk, you can just do another some other time. Take it all in stride and don't get worried over small stuff. You'll do just fine.

Great news Suzanne! It is great to be back in your own home after surgery - wishing you a very smooth recovery!

Thank you for all your kind thoughts and sage wisdom. I don't know how I could have done it without this site and the people who make it so special.

Before surgery, my goal was to get to the other side of the mountain. Now that I am here, of course it's obvious that its not a straight road from where I am now to where my future lies. It's a path with lots of ups and downs and probably more than a few curves that I can't even guess at.

But it's good to be moving forward on a path of my own-making. Again, thanks to all - Suzanne

Suzanne, glad you are finally on the other side now. I am 20 days post op now. At first I was getting a little discouraged because my brain wanted me to go faster etc but my body wouldn't let me. Today I walked 1 1/2 miles at the mall. Took two small rest stops on the way. Got my bandage off yesterday and got a whole wet the body shower today. I feel human again! You will to. One day at a time. One step at a time my friend. You go girl! - Kim

Suzanne, glad you are finally on the other side now. I am 20 days post op now. At first I was getting a little discouraged because my brain wanted me to go faster etc but my body wouldn't let me. Today I walked 1 1/2 miles at the mall. Took two small rest stops on the way. Got my bandage off yesterday and got a whole wet the body shower today. I feel human again! You will to. One day at a time. One step at a time my friend. You go girl! - Kim

Wow! 1.5 miles is impressive. It sounds like you are doing really well.

My surgery was 1 week ago and there was so much progress for the first few days. My breathing tube was out Day 0. The next day all the other tubes were removed (other than the central line and wires) and I moved to the CSU. After that, I walked farther every day and became more independant. Then discharge and a 3.5 hour drive home.

Its no wonder I feel like I'm just running in place now.

It's funny you mentioned finally getting the bandage off. Among all the things that surprised me about this process, one of the most notable was that my only dressing at discharge was a band-aid!

Keep up your good work -- Suzanne

Made it to other side!

Made it to other side!

Surgery was a huge success. Turns out the leakage was worse than expected, and the left and right ventricles were too big, and the surgeon told me this am they are both improving per the tee he dig. Today is rough with pain and light headed ness. Moving to tele in about an hour. :)

Update on Day 24 post-op:

My recovery is progressing very well, with very few issues.

I walked 1.75 miles this morning at a pace of about 20 minutes per mile. Our temperature is warmer than normal and yesterday I waited until it was too warm to complete a solid endurance walk. I do need to rest more after exertion than I did pre-surgery.

I had my first doctors visit since discharge last Wednesday when I saw my cardiologist. He was very pleased with my condition. My blood pressure remains lower than usual and my resting heart rate is higher than normal. Not that it should have been a surprise, but the heart murmur I've had for more than 30 years is now gone!

My cardiologist is keeping me on low dose aspirin and metoprolol for a few more months. I will have a follow up echo in October, then see the doctor again on Halloween. I need to find a costume to match my scar!

I still find that I need regular doses of Tylenol. When I try to wean myself off of it, I end up feeling crummy and am less interested in any activity.

My appetite is slowly returning. I am still eating 5 small meals with protien but I find myself able to actually finish what is on my plate. I am already worrying about when the time comes to shift gears and focus on getting to and maintaining a healthy weight.

I start cardio rehab on Tuesday. I have already been advised by the nurse that it won't include launching me back into a running routine.

If everything continues apace, I will start back part time at my desk job after the 4th of July holiday weekend.

Thanks again for your support. I'm not sure how I would have managed this without this board. -- Suzanne

Oh my goodness -- I hadn't even thought of that! I'm having my surgery in a little over a month. My whole life I've been told by every single doctor with a stethoscope that my heart sounds like a washing machine! It will be so nice to have a normal "thump-thump" instead of the ol' "thump-shworsh-sworshel-thump"!

I'm glad you're doing well. You are an inspiration to me and to everyone in the waiting room.

Great going Suzanne! It is really cool when you go visit your cardiologist and they tell you no murmur! Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good works and it only gets better! After all the overwhelming stuff we have been through it is a little "weird" to think you can be "normal" again. I think I am just now really beginning to process all of it. Pretty cool.

I started cardio rehab today and really enjoyed it.

I did two 30 minute sessions walking on the treadmill at 3mph and 3% incline. It was my first time on a treadmill, which is not as good as walking in my neighborhood on a cool summer morning, but much better when it's more than 80 degrees F out there!

We also had an education session on heart healthy diet. While I was the youngest person there ( and probably the only valve patient), everyone was working hard on their own recovery. -- Suzanne

I started cardio rehab today and really enjoyed it.

I did two 30 minute sessions walking on the treadmill at 3mph and 3% incline. It was my first time on a treadmill, which is not as good as walking in my neighborhood on a cool summer morning, but much better when it's more than 80 degrees F out there!

We also had an education session on heart healthy diet. While I was the youngest person there ( and probably the only valve patient), everyone was working hard on their own recovery. -- Suzanne

I did cardiac rehab too and I was also the youngest person there! Everyone was super nice, but I don't know how many times I heard: "Wow, you're too young for a heart condition" I would show them my scar and say: "evidently not"

I wasn't always the only valver, but always the youngest. I really did enjoy cardiac rehab as well and just think the world of those who work there and all the patients who were working so hard on their own recovery.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Latest posts

Back