On the other side but still climbing!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day prior, I spent about an hour on the phone with my insurance company to verify how many visits were covered. Even with the charging codes, I could not get a straight answer or, as it turns out, a correct one.

The insurance company believed that it was lumped in with physical and respiratory therapy and limited to 12 visits per year, including in-patient. As the hospital has charged me for 3 visits (and I actually had 4 more), it looked like I would only get 5-9 visits. Luckily, the nurse at cardio rehab straightened it out and I still have 31 more visits. -- Suzanne

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post-surgery and today is my 3rd day back at work part time. Yesterday, before my 3 hours of work, I also went to cardiac rehab and walked about 1.67 miles on the treadmill. Before cardiac rehab, I had walked about 1.5 miles.

After my (later than usual) afternoon nap, I woke with general pain at (and above) my sternal incision. It was the most pain since the early days after my surgery and enough to nag at me, so I took an Advil.

I sleep well last night but this morning, the pain was still there. It was slightly worse after I walked 2 miles and did some exercises recommended as homework by the kinesiologist at cardiac rehab (without weights). I took another Advil.

I have a follow up phone consult with my surgeon tomorrow, but I thought you guys might have an opinion as well.

If my pain is back, am I pushing too hard? Or is better to continue OTC pain meds as needed and do as much exercise as I comfortably can? Thanks. -- Suzanne

My opinion is that you should try to determine the cause of the pain, and then try to avoid it. If it is caused by the increased exercise, then you might back off on the amount you're doing. I would not try to compensate with OTC pain meds.

Latest posts

Back