Ole Harrybaby Is Headed For Boston....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry, always remember that you are in my prayers. Let's hope your new doctor can answer all your questions. Hugs coming your way!

I will. I won't be going until sometime in September....

I will. I won't be going until sometime in September....

...or October as I need to gather as much as I can for records and get all films and x rays as I can, and well, since I have been bounced from one doctor to the next, I have a lot of footwork to do....

As for the trip, I will be taking the train in, as I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY AND UNQUESTIONABLY AND UNDENIABLY DISLIKE DRIVING IN BOSTON....MASS HAS A VERY HIGH ACCIDENT RATE. So, I will pay the $28.00 round trip ticket, and I won't have to worry about parking and I can go as relaxed as possible.

Glenda, Bless You Sweetie, I always have you as well as everyone here in my prayers....Hugs back atcha!!!!:D:eek::eek::D

Taking the train is a good plan. You probably know the station is very close to Mass General. A fifteen minute walk or you can easily catch a taxi if it's not a pleasant day.
Please let us know how it goes there. Good luck.

Harry,

I am pretty confident you will be satisfied with your care at MGH. I have a surgeon, electrophysiologist and cardiologist there. The NPs are wonderful! I have a local cardiologist but would much rather make the drive to MGH to see my cardiologist there.

I remember my very first appointment. After the diagnosis they took the time to explain my heart disease to me. They used models of hearts, pamphlets and computer printouts. They took the time to explain it to me in a way that I could understand. Afterall, I was 26 and just found out I had an incurable heart disease. At the time I didn't even know the heart had a mitral valve. Luckily, I was diagnosed early enough to be monitored and managed with medication.

A few years later when I had my surgery, I must have been on the phone once a week with the NP in my cardiologist office. That doesn't include the emails I sent and the questions she answered that way. My surgeon called me from Saudi Arabia because I wasn't feeling well. I'll never forget that! I have received emails answering a question as late as 11p.m..

This may sound silly, but when I call my cardiologist's office at MGH I love the fact that I always get a person and I never get put on hold. There have been times when I was on hold for 20 minutes at my local cardiologist's office. How MGH houses over 900 patients and still manages to make you feel like you are the only one amazes me.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I think you will be satisfied. I know your situation is different. I wish you the best and know that they will take care of you.

Best Wishes

Thank You TLB.......

Thank You TLB.......

I am really hoping that they will take a fresh approach, examine and test me with everything that they have and give me some definite answers....I have started gathering reports from all the other doctors that I have seen and I don't feel as though they were honest with me, considering the fact that they did NOT tell me that they found a small apical defect (from what I understand, it's a hole in the heart) and that I have some fibrosis on my lungs, which, I know is not their specialty, however, they could have pointed me in the right direction to have that examined. The fact remains that I am constantly told I have an irregular heartbeat, I get sob and exhausted from climbing stairs (any more than 1 flight and I am done for, as my breath becomes labored, I sometimes start sweating buckets and my legs feel like someone has filled them with lead). I my ankles, hands and abdomen swell more and more frequently and I get sooooo weak (I asked the last cardio who dumped me to take me off of Coreg as I would get so weak from the medicine, so he doubled my Avapro and took me off of Coreg).

I am soooo sick of being sick that it's not funny and I am hoping that Mass General will give me clear, specific and definite answers. I also will be making a whole list of questions for them to answer. Anyway, thanks so much for your encouraging words. Harrybaby:D:D

Harry, have you already actually made your appt. or are you waiting until after you finish gathering everything to do that? If you haven't already made it, I would encourage you to do so. It may take you a while to get in as a new patient. Once you appt. date is set, you can then spend that time before it comes to collect everything. I hope that they are able to offer you some relief.

Kim

They will NOT see me UNTIL they have everything....

They will NOT see me UNTIL they have everything....

Mass General will not see me unless I have everything (except the films of course, which I will hand carry when I go) down to them before hand.....Heck, I got a call from the nurse who assesses the records a couple of days ago, and they were eager to NOT see me as she started to say: "Well, Mr. Lowell, we see nothing in your records....." and I cut her off saying that there would be a whole bunch more coming to her." She was shocked.....but accepting...so here comes the fun part....going around and gathering the records....

Harry, I'm so sad that getting treatment has been so distressing for you. I get PTSD reading your accounts because it took me going through 5 doctors before I found one that took me seriously - and he was my savior and an excellent doctor. The previous 4 doctors either blew me off as being a hypochondriac or got frustrated with me because I didn't fit into their narrow field of knowledge.

I wish you speed in getting all your records!

Can you get your primary care doctor or even your last cardio to refer you to MGH? That might get you in easier and faster.

Their care is so superior it is worth whatever effort and pressure you have to expend to get to one of their great docs.

I had two OHS there in four years and I am so grateful for the care I received.

Good luck.

Harry, I'm so sad that getting treatment has been so distressing for you. I get PTSD reading your accounts because it took me going through 5 doctors before I found one that took me seriously - and he was my savior and an excellent doctor. The previous 4 doctors either blew me off as being a hypochondriac or got frustrated with me because I didn't fit into their narrow field of knowledge.

Karlynn -

I'm curious if you ever advised any of those 'unhelpful' Doctors about your Heart Condition and Surgery so that they could "Learn from Their Mistakes"?

If not, it might still be helpful, assuming that they are willing to admit to themselves that they either made a mistake or simply didn't know enough to properly diagnose you.

'AL'

Truthfully Karlynn....I am absolutely fed up.....

Truthfully Karlynn....I am absolutely fed up.....

Karlynn, I am getting so tired of the doctors in my area not taking me seriously that I have actually begun to question myself as to whether or not this stuff is actually happening. I am going to go to Boston and give it one more shot....if they give me the same run around that I have been getting (like yourself) I am going to just stop seeing any doctors and let nature take its unpredictable course. I know that there is something wrong, considering I have an irregular heartbeat, a small hole at the bottom of my heart and the valve, cardiomyopathy and CHF issues....but they don't seem to want to do anything about them. I have had it.....:(:mad::(

I sure hope she does Al.....

I sure hope she does Al.....

Karlynn -

I'm curious if you ever advised any of those 'unhelpful' Doctors about your Heart Condition and Surgery so that they could "Learn from Their Mistakes"?

If not, it might still be helpful, assuming that they are willing to admit to themselves that they either made a mistake or simply didn't know enough to properly diagnose you.

'AL'

I know that if I succeed in Boston at Mass General, I am most definitely going to call my cardiologists in my area and really let them have it....I can certainly understand why Karlynn would have PTSD after going through the mess that both she and I have been dealing with....it's HORRIBLE....:(:mad::(

I know that if I succeed in Boston at Mass General, I am most definitely going to call my cardiologists in my area and really let them have it....I can certainly understand why Karlynn would have PTSD after going through the mess that both she and I have been dealing with....it's HORRIBLE....:(:mad::(

It would probably be better to send something in Writing with supporting Documentation from MGH such as test results, diagnosis, and treatment details (surgery etc.)

Harry, I hope that you get everything worked out and soon. Maybe afterward s you could send a letter to your previous doctors. Give them the diagnosis & treatment thereof, and say don't worry I'm not the type to sue. I'm sure it would make you feel better & get their blood pressure up.

Good luck with everything & just keep pressing on.

Well, I have my appointment for Mass General Hospital....

Well, I have my appointment for Mass General Hospital....

I will be seeing a Dr. Calfron at Mass General Hospital on September 4th at 1:30pm. Lord, I sure hope that they will evaluate me completely and tell me what's up town.....:(:eek::(

Wonderful news to hear you have a set appointment in the not too distant future.
Good luck, Harry. We'll be so eager to hear you had a great appointment, think he's the right doctor for you and treatment course was decided.

One thing that bugs me though JKM....

One thing that bugs me though JKM....

Wonderful news to hear you have a set appointment in the not too distant future.
Good luck, Harry. We'll be so eager to hear you had a great appointment, think he's the right doctor for you and treatment course was decided.

I went to the Mass General Heart Center and Main Website and I could NOT find any professional information on Dr. Cafon. This kind of worries me.....:confused::eek::eek:

I will be seeing a Dr. Calfron at Mass General Hospital on September 4th at 1:30pm. Lord, I sure hope that they will evaluate me completely and tell me what's up town.....:(:eek::(

I went to the Mass General Heart Center and Main Website and I could NOT find any professional information on Dr. Cafon. This kind of worries me.....:confused::eek::eek:

Are you sure about the spelling of his name?

Is it possibly:

Carlson, William Dean, MD, PHD 617-724-6750
Board Certification: Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine; Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine

Whoops....

Whoops....

I tried both spellings and nothing. I might have misspelled the Dr's name when I was on the phone. I am waiting on hearing aids (next week) so I probably didn't hear the woman correctly....but, at least I know where I need to go when I am down there on the 4th of Sept.:eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back