Old member with some news

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keverdawg

I had my first aortic valve put in at age 27 the second one at 37. 3 years ago in April 2011 I had an LVAD put in. LVAD left ventricular assist device. It is a battery powered electric heart pump. They had to sew a patch over my St. Jude's valve disabling it to make the pump work.
I was in stage 4 heart failure when they put it in. The LVAD saved my life! I didn't qualify for a transplant because of all the blood transfusions I had from the surgeries. Note to self refuse blood if you can do without it. The LVAD isn't perfect but it beat the alternative. I would rather have a transplant but this gives me more time with my wife and caregiver. She is an RN thank goodness and works her tail off taking care of me. Daily Bandage changes and sponge bath, medication dosing, chauffeur etc.
When all else fails and it did there is hope. Look it up. Thoratec is the manufacturer.
I am still here!
Kevin 58 years young. Still humming along.

There was a news story some time back about a rotary pump perhaps becoming a permanent solution and negating the need for many transplants. The thing that seemed especially interesting about it is that a recipient could wind up walking around without any pulse at all, and that would probably be just fine. (Ref: http://www.npr.org/2011/06/13/137029208/heart-with-no-beat-offers-hope-of-new-lease-on-life) I certainly hope that I live long enough to have that as an option if it ever becomes necessary for me. (Anyone remember the science-fiction heroine who had just such a heart? I thought it was Clarke's Venus Prime, but I'm not so sure.)

Wow, that is remarkable, Kevin! (If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the same device doctors implanted in Dick Cheney which sustained him until he had his heart transplant.)

I too have inquired about a heart transplant and was told I would NOT qualify as a candidate due to the damage Pulmonary Hypertension has done to my lungs. Whatever!

I hope your new device gives you many more years of life with your wife and family!

God Bless!

Last edited:
You are blessed to have a Dear Wife who is so diligent and energetic in caring for you.
Seems she is doing a very good job. :)
Best wishes you continue doing as well as possible.

Latest posts

Back