OHS 4 days and stressing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZG

OHS 4 days and counting! have date, Hospital ,surgeon but not valve choice yet- have consult Mon with Dr. MY head is thinking way to much. I know a lot of you have been in the waiting room and made it successfully and safely to the other side but i am having a hard time keeping my thoughts going in the right direction. Waiting is so difficult. I tryed to take care of everything at home cleaning, laundry bills my dog Bently, the Kids. Trying to control the things i can. I will be 6 hours from home what are your thoughs of staying close to the hospital for a few days post op after i am discharged? any last minute advise?

RZG

Rachel

I would suggest you ask your surgeon what is the norm for long distance patients while it is your first OHS they have done a few this time next week I hope to read that you have no idea what was stressing you ...........I have added you to Mondays VR calendar so we all will be there reach out and touch us

Godspeed Rachel

All I can tell you is my surgery was three weeks ago. From my experance the surgery is much easier than being on hold. You will be surprised how much better you will feel getting this behind you. The first few days are a little tough but after they take the drain tubes out of you the back pain starts to go away and by day four you will start to feeel much better, Try to walk as soon as they will let you, for some reason that helps better than any thing you can do. Do not be scared you will be fine.

Greg,
Thanks for you well wishes I hope I can look back on this experience and report a good outcomes!!!!

Ken,
I have followed your posts and you are an inspiration! Having this behind me is where i want to be. I will walk asap! and Ill try to be less scared thats a tough one right now. Thanks for your advice!!!

Rachel RZG
Rachel RZG

It's hard not thinking about it. We have all been there before. Trust me. You be will fine.
I think it will be a great idea staying close to the hospital in case of an emergency. The first few days are very critical.
Wishing you a successful and bump free recovery. Keep us updated and don't be a strange.

"pem" started a thread discussing his choice between a local hospital and a bigger, more remote cardiac center. That's not your choice, but I think that discussion would be valuable for you. Basically, it's great to be near home and the support of friends and relatives, but it's also very possible that you'll need some follow-up attention in the days (or few weeks) after discharge time.

One important idea is to make sure (in advance) that your local medical team "has your back" after you get back home. Sometimes the communication between a patient's distant "knife team" and the local support team is great, and sometimes it's nasty, and you can probably make some calls NOW to help make yours great. (Many of us have experienced home renovations where the painters spend most of their energy complaining about the team that did the framing and the taping, etc. -- and you definitely DON'T want to GO THERE with your cardiac rehab!)

See pem's thread for more ideas and perspectives.

thanks! I read all of Pem's posts, all responces were very helpful!! I feel my cardiologist and his team "have my Back" as they themselves referred me to the CCF as my surgery is more difficult with the medical history I have. I am leaving Sunday driving to Cleveland, Tests Mon, Surgery Tuesday. I am ready but scared, that's an understatement! I will stay on in Cleveland for 4-5 days after I am discharged just in case... I have my Dr's at home on speed dial!!
I will post, post op or rather my husband Rich well keep everyone updated!! Thanks for you prayers and well wishes!! see you on the otherside!!!!!!

Rachel RZG

Sending you best wishes, Rachel. It's hard, of course, it's hard but we all manage to drag our sorry selves through the front doors of the hospital and just get on with it. There is no option. You'll do the same and will wonder at your strength when you look back at it.

You're going to a fine facility with the best and seem to have a good personal support system.

Go 'get it done' and begin your recovery.

Hope you have a very successful surgery and bump free recovery.

thanks! I read all of Pem's posts, all responces were very helpful!! I feel my cardiologist and his team "have my Back" as they themselves referred me to the CCF as my surgery is more difficult with the medical history I have. I am leaving Sunday driving to Cleveland, Tests Mon, Surgery Tuesday. I am ready but scared, that's an understatement! I will stay on in Cleveland for 4-5 days after I am discharged just in case... I have my Dr's at home on speed dial!!
I will post, post op or rather my husband Rich well keep everyone updated!! Thanks for you prayers and well wishes!! see you on the otherside!!!!!!

Rachel RZG

If you will be going home by car, do you plan on making the whole trip in one day or stopping somewhere in between for the night? Either way make sure you stop OFTEN to walk around and stretch alittle, that 's a pretty long trip.

Lyn,
We will be stopping several times on the way home it takes about 7 hours. I will be very careful not to stay in one position for an extended period.
I will post as soon as I'm able!!!!!

Lyn,
We will be stopping several times on the way home it takes about 7 hours. I will be very careful not to stay in one position for an extended period.
I will post as soon as I'm able!!!!!

Probably 7 hours or more on a good day (we live pretty close to you) hopefully you'll have a great trip and sleep most of the way, but you might want to have back up plans, with possible places to stay, incase you just get too miserable and don't want to be in the car 1 min more. Also you'll probably get a pretty big heart pillow, but you might want to take a smaller throw pillow to put inbetween the seatbelt and your incision and FWIW Justin's last surgery we got one of those seatbelt sheepskin covers that are kind of a tube that goes around the shoulder belt part that he said worked well. Many doctors will tell you not to ride in the front seat because of airbags, but Justin's last few surgeries he was taller so wasn't comfortable in the backseat, so sat in the front with the back leaning back and we figured IF we were in an acciden the airbag wouldn't hit his sternum. He only had to ride an hour at most (some surgeries in Wilmington Del and others philly) and was pretty happy to get out of the car, even in that short of a time.

Good luck with everything, I think you will do great.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Rachel since her surgery?
She was pretty worried and sAid she'd have her husband contact me. Haven't heard a word so I'm worried.

Hi, Carolyn. It took me about a week after surgery to post an update after mine. My sis had agreed to do it, but then I'd given her the wrong password. I could only remember it with my own hands on the keyboard, so by the time that happened, a week had passed. Just keep sending positive energy, thoughts, and prayers, or whatever combination suits you best (That's what I'm doing.) and I'll bet we hear from her soon...

hi all itss been 8 long days thanks for your prayers and support. Maybe it was the extensiveness of the surgery AVR, MVR CABGX1 and radiation heart diease, but this has been the most difficult time in my life with that said I am on the other side. Coming out of ICU tomorrow and hopefuuly home by the end of next week. I will update you more with the particulars stay well healthy and happy..XOXO RZG Rachel

hi all itss been 8 long days thanks for your prayers and support. Maybe it was the extensiveness of the surgery AVR, MVR CABGX1 and radiation heart diease, but this has been the most difficult time in my life with that said I am on the other side. Coming out of ICU tomorrow and hopefuuly home by the end of next week. I will update you more with the particulars stay well healthy and happy..XOXO RZG Rachel

Amazing! We are all living miracles. Be blessed Rachel show us how its done!

Latest posts

Back