Officially disabled

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

Greetings everyone! I just finished the paperwork with the Osaka city office.
It's official! I'm disabled. You see, anyone who has a mechanical valve qualifies for disability benefits in Japan! Now I can ride the subway for free, get into any museum for free, I get discounts on airfare, trains, ferries, buses, movies, dry cleaning, you name it. Needless to say, I've speechless!
There is a bright side to all of the pain, misery, and discomfort I've been through. I was wondering if any other countries have this benefit? Just thought I'd share yet another (surprising) cultural difference.

wes said:
Greetings everyone! I just finished the paperwork with the Osaka city office.
It's official! I'm disabled. You see, anyone who has a mechanical valve qualifies for disability benefits in Japan! Now I can ride the subway for free, get into any museum for free, I get discounts on airfare, trains, ferries, buses, movies, dry cleaning, you name it. Needless to say, I've speechless!
There is a bright side to all of the pain, misery, and discomfort I've been through. I was wondering if any other countries have this benefit? Just thought I'd share yet another (surprising) cultural difference.
That really is surprising, Wes. Is it only for a given length of time? Is it only for mechanical valves? What's the rationale, do you know?
I agree . . . . this is a surprising cultural difference!:)

Hell I'm disabled and don't get all those perks. I'm moving to Japan. :mad:

Back here in the U.S. being disabled doesn't give you special anything. Your just disabled. Oh wait a minute, free hunting and fishing licenses, I forgot.

i'm not sure what the rationale is, other than spending taxpayer money to help the citizens. we're also available for a monthly "newlywed" stipend (for an entire year) as well as a stipend for each child we conceive (perhaps as a way to combat the declining birth rate?) Osaka is really deep in debt though, so the only thing I can think of is maybe some former lawmakers had mechanical valves?

the disability benefits are for as long as I stay in Japan. I'm very surprised that I'm treated like a normal citizen even though I only have a work visa. Foreigners can't vote in elections over here, but we can take advantage of government services!

Ross, you can move in next week. We don't have central heating though, so bring some warm clothes. We can set up ValveReplacement.jp and import the INR home testing kits into Japan!

Ross said:

Back here in the U.S. being disabled doesn't give you special anything. Your just disabled. Oh wait a minute, free hunting and fishing licenses, I forgot.

I'm w/Ross; I'm moving to Japan too! :) I've been trying to get disability for two mechanical valves & 3 OHS & I still got denied! Drats! Something ain't right here!

Anyway, congratulations to you & enjoy your priviledges!

Norma

njean said:
I'm w/Ross; I'm moving to Japan too! :) I've been trying to get disability for two mechanical valves & 3 OHS & I still got denied! Drats! Something ain't right here!

Norma
On the contrary, things are perfectly normal. They want you to give up and go away.

Get an attorney that specializes in Soc Sec Disability and I bet you get it.

I wasn't about to play their damn game with my sons foot injury. They hoo hummed into May and denied it again, so I went promptly to a an attorney and before May was over, he was approved.

Ross said:

and a discount (like a dollar from NJ to nyc) on amtrack lol

njean said:

Norma

Justin is 19 and had 6 heart surgeries, 3 in the last 2 years and was denied, and the year before when he was 16 he had his pacer removed from his abdomen that was malfunctiong. I haven't figured when he is supposed to get a job let alone work. but ....

Ross said:
On the contrary, things are perfectly normal. They want you to give up and go away.

I wasn't about to play their damn game with my sons foot injury. They hoo hummed into May and denied it again, so I went promptly to a an attorney and before May was over, he was approved.

YEAH I'm glad something worked out for you guys.

Ross said:

Sorry, Wes don't mean to interfere w/your post but to reply to Ross ---

I filed for an appeal & I contacted an attorney who was going to take my case but I had already gotten all my medical files from every doctor, every medical facility that has treated me for the past 6 years & I compiled a nice, 2-1/2 binder with copies of all these records & letters from my doctors expressing the severity of my heart condition. The attorney was amazed at that I had gotten all these files on my own, so they advised me to take everything in to SS & if I get another denial, they will step in to represent me. He said that it wouldn't be fair to me being that I had done all the footwork that they would have to charge me for something I had already done. So, I turned everything over to SS last week of October. Now I wait......

njean said:

I filed for an appeal & I contacted an attorney who was going to take my case but I had already gotten all my medical files from every doctor, every medical facility that has treated me for the past 6 years & I compiled a nice, 2-1/2 binder with copies of all these records & letters from my doctors expressing the severity of my heart condition. The attorney was amazed at that I had gotten all these files on my own, so they advised me to take everything in to SS & if I get another denial, they will step in to represent me. He said that it wouldn't be fair to me being that I had done all the footwork that they would have to charge me for something I had already done. So, I turned everything over to SS last week of October. Now I wait......

I'm glad you have a nice lawyer like that. When I was applying for MY disability, I got a lawyer for the appeal, he turned in all the work I did like you, with a short cover letter. Something was screwed up and when i called about it, he said well you filled out the form wrong, I just turned it in, so apparently he didn't even check my work (knowing I'm on massive pain pills you would have thought he would of.) and that cost 5000 out of my back benefits (3 years without pay) So for Justin we appealled ourselves and if we have to do the next phase then I'll get a lawyer.

njean said:

Lordy please tell me you have copies of everything you handed over.

Ross said:

I also learned to get a reciept for every piece of paper I give them. One time they tried to say I didn't turn in the appeal in the 60 days, so my case was done, Luckily I had their receipt and had gave a copy to my congressman the same day, so they had to keep the case open. I've heard it is not uncommon for them to lose things in, as my congressman told me NJ is called the blackhole" and if you don't have copies or receipts, you can be out of luck

Ross said:

Yes Ross, & Lyn, -- I had actually made a duplicate copy of everything for my Attorney & have copies of everything for myself. In fact, the woman at the SS Ofc was soooooo rude & so cold, I made her sign a "receipt" for the file! And then, she just tossed it behind her desk!!! :mad: So, from there, I went directly to my senator's office to leave a copy of the appeal for them because they had asked me to do that as soon as I turned in the appeal to SSDA.

hot topic

hot topic

njean:
don't worry about "hijaking" the post. these forums are for everyone to discuss/vent/share! :)

I had no idea the U.S. Gov't was so stingy (oh wait, yeah I did but I've just forgotten). I really feel bad for all of you who are much worse off than me, but get no government support. When they told me in the hospital that I was available for disability benefits I honestly thought they were joking! I'd just like to say good luck to everyone who's had lots of problems. Don't give up the fight. It's definitely a sad state of affairs when you have to resort to legal action just to get your application approved.

Immigration to Boost Japan's Population

Immigration to Boost Japan's Population

Wes, I think we may all be coming over!:D

njean said:
[/B]

Yes Ross, & Lyn, -- I had actually made a duplicate copy of everything for my Attorney & have copies of everything for myself. In fact, the woman at the SS Ofc was soooooo rude & so cold, I made her sign a "receipt" for the file! And then, she just tossed it behind her desk!!! :mad: So, from there, I went directly to my senator's office to leave a copy of the appeal for them because they had asked me to do that as soon as I turned in the appeal to SSDA.
Thank God. They "lose" so many things that it's not funny. They lost my WHOLE CASE FILE!

wes said:
njean:
don't worry about "hijaking" the post. these forums are for everyone to discuss/vent/share! :)

I had no idea the U.S. Gov't was so stingy (oh wait, yeah I did but I've just forgotten). I really feel bad for all of you who are much worse off than me, but get no government support. When they told me in the hospital that I was available for disability benefits I honestly thought they were joking! I'd just like to say good luck to everyone who's had lots of problems. Don't give up the fight. It's definitely a sad state of affairs when you have to resort to legal action just to get your application approved.
Wes it's pretty much a racket here. Soc Sec will say no until an attorney is involved. Now the attorney is going to get some money from your back benefits (There is a limit to how much they can get, runs on my mind it's like $3000) etc. It's as if they refuse to let you, the one who needs it, have ALL the money your entitled too. It really is pathetic.

Latest posts

Back