occular migraines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marguerite53 said:
I'm seeing my opthalmologist next week. I'm going to mention it to him, that there are so many of us here. I'll let you know if he says anything interesting. "See" you then!!

Marguerite:

I mentioned the visual disturbances to my ophthalmologist 2+ years ago. He said many people get them -- including people who have not had OHS. Says he's gotten emergency phone calls from patients who have pulled over to the side of the road while driving, frantic because they've never had an optical migraine before.

I started having these 2-3 days post-op. Mentioned them to the surgeon. Guess I didn't describe them well enough, because he didn't understand what I was talking about.
I mentioned them to my dad while we were driving to my first recheck post-op. He's had them for years, has consulted an ophthalmologist AND a neuro-ophthalmologist, as well as his cardiologist.
There's not anything that can be done, he was told.
That's what my ophthalmologist told me too.

Two years ago, I mentioned them to a friend, a retired professor at Southern College of Optometry in Memphis, Tenn. He said the common thought is -- for people like me -- that they're related to a disturbance in blood flow and are common following heart surgery.
BTW, his mother had had MVR several years previously (at age 72), opted for a St. Jude instead of a tissue. Was doing fine 12 years later.

By occular migraine, do you mean the double vision episodes? Or the classic migraine zigzag experience?

The first time I had the double vision experience and told my (then) primary care physician, he got real quiet and serious and told me that I might have MS! I was horrified! My husband was horrified! That was pre-Web availability so I went to the public library and checked out a few books on MS and spent days devouring them, getting more and more deeply depressed as I read. The doctor sent me to an opthamologist who was to look for a specific thing deep in my eyes (I forget what the phrase was now, optical neuropathy maybe) but the eye doctor did not find it, which was an enormous relief. But that silly primary care doctor, who scared our family with a number of scary mis-diagnosises (what is the plural of that?) throughout the several years we saw him, wasn't convinced; it irritates me now that he overlooked the obvious. Also, when he would see the huge scar on my back from my earlier heart surgery, he would always ask me if I'd had lung surgery:eek:, and the heart surgery information was all over my charts.

Up until that guy, I'd mostly had really conscientious doctors who always considered my heart abnormalities first when treating me. The primary care physician I have now is like that, very conscientious.

And, like Melissa, I believe I've posted some of this before on another migraine thread. But that's kind of the nature of posting on this site, right?

migraine

migraine

I have had occular migraine for about 12 years....and I'm still having them though not nearly as frequently right now. I'm 3 months post-op, I had OHS and now have a St. Judes valve. I'm on 2 baby aspirin per day due to a couple of TIA's I've had. Those things make migraines seem less scary:) However I do get the visual disturbances - your regular aura - as well as the pulling thing that Margeurite described. That tends to feel more like eyes-crossing to me, and I'm convinced that's possible more related to TIA-like occurences in the brain. The serotonin theory is interesting but I'm not convinced that's been proven by science. If that's true, than a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (the class of anti-depressant drugs that Prozac belongs to) would immediately stop all migraine - and that did not occur for me. I was tried on several different drugs of this nature - no luck. My eyes are blue, by the way.....

I'm new to this site

I'm new to this site

Hello to all. I'm having mitral and aortic valve replacement in 2 weeks with possble bypass (depends on yesterday's test results). I had mitral replacement 10 years ago and now have scar tissue in the valve. Can anyone give me any info on this? Is it common or rare or what? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bejaxx:confused:

Yes, Chris. The pulling does feel like going cross-eyed, only backwards! I'll go run to a mirror next time and see what my eyes are actually doing. :eek:

And Susan... I believe that occular migraines do NOT include the double vision, just the auras, zig zag lines and then sometime a partial blackout in one or both eyes once in awhile. I don't like that one either, the blackout one. It's always the same place for me....my left eye, upper right corner. A rectangle kind of hexagon just goes "out" and there is no image, just blackness. It only lasts for the same amount of time as the zig zags and somewhere I was told that they are all migraines. I think the MS question is one that is important to mention, so thank you for mentioning it....even if it is a deja vu for some....not for me.

I'll bring all this up to my optho. He's quite a studious man, and quite a talker!

:) Marguerite

bejaxx said:
Hello to all. I'm having mitral and aortic valve replacement in 2 weeks with possble bypass (depends on yesterday's test results). I had mitral replacement 10 years ago and now have scar tissue in the valve. Can anyone give me any info on this? Is it common or rare or what? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bejaxx:confused:
Welcome bejaxx! You have certainly found the right place for valve information and support. There are several VR.com'rs that have had double valve replacements. I am sure they, and others will be along soon to welcome you, and share info. I would advise you to repost your question as it's own thread, in the pre-surgery forum. That way more people will see and reply.
Everyone arrives here with a fair degree of uncertainty and apprehension. After you read and ask a while - you will likely find a great deal of peace - in information and the knowledge that so many have gone before and are here to help you.
Get comfy - read, and keep posting!!;)

Bejaxx - Post a new thread under pre-surgery and you will get alot of replies from the great people here!:)

Regarding SSRIs. . .(Serotonin reuptake inhibitors). These drugs slow down the "uptake" of serotonin (hence, reuptake inhibitors). But if you have low serotonin levels to begin with, they do not help you CREATE more serotonin. They just keep you from losing the low levels you have. So if the issue is low serotonin, SSRIs don't help a whit. Which is where they 5-HTP comes in. It helps facilitate the creation of new serotonin.

And there IS research/science to back it up.

I had occular migraines, the blackout kind, when I was in college, in 1970. It scared me silly. I went to an ophthamologist and a neurologist and they both found nothing, of course. One called it "migraine equivalent" since I didn't get the headache. In the late 70's I got the headaches. I stopped having the headaches after my son was born in 1985 and didn't have any more symptoms until after my OHS in May, '05. I have them periodically now. Mine are circular and look like some computer art. Hard to explain. I didn't hear the term "occular migraine" until I saw it on this site. It's good to know I'm in good company here, except I have brown eyes.
I pretty much ignore them now, but the double vision would scare me silly.
Barbara

Thanks alot

Thanks alot

Thank you for the info. I will pst in pre-surgery>
Bejaxx

This is very interesting Melissa. I thought about your post all weekend. I'm wondering if you have any links or thoughts on where I can find the research you're mentioning. I don't doubt it, after all that is the theory (I assume) behind the SSRI's, too. I'm not too sure. Something definetly I will mention to my neurologist. I might look for the 5-HTP also...hoping that it would not cause an anti-coagulation issue.....

Chris

MelissaM said:
Regarding SSRIs. . .(Serotonin reuptake inhibitors). These drugs slow down the "uptake" of serotonin (hence, reuptake inhibitors). But if you have low serotonin levels to begin with, they do not help you CREATE more serotonin. They just keep you from losing the low levels you have. So if the issue is low serotonin, SSRIs don't help a whit. Which is where they 5-HTP comes in. It helps facilitate the creation of new serotonin.

And there IS research/science to back it up.

Question?

Question?

I've been having headaches the 3 weeks, no auras or flashing lights. I am having sharp, burning pain in my eyes. Could this be related to warafin or VR?

Could be I'm just falling apart!?:D
Beverly

So I saw my ophthalmologist today. He was reviewing my history. Paused, and said, "weren't you going to have a valve replacement at some point?" Yes. Well, he said....guess we're both members of the zipper club now. Turns out he had bypass surgery after a third stent wouldn't go in. This, 9 weeks ago. He's been back at work since 5 weeks. He looked very old and thin and tired! (he's late 60's). He repeated himself several times and had some difficulty comprehending the nuance of a request of mine. Hm.

I asked him about the occular migraines but he couldn't come up with any information more than we have already discussed. He's not a valve patient, so..... Then I mentioned the double vision and MS and he very succinctly told me that MS occurs in young people...in fact his 22 year old daughter had just recently been diagnosed with it. :eek: Well folks. After that, I wasn't going to ask him any more quesitons!! I just wanted a perscription for my first bifocals because I'm getting old :eek:

:confused: Sorry!!

Marguerite

Sounds to me like this is a great situation in which to get a second opinion. I have to admit I've wondered about my neuro for some very simliar reasons - he seems to be distracted, seems to not "get" the nuances of what I'm talking about. I even tried the more direct approach but still he seems to not "get it."

Anyway - sorry you didn't get the information you'd like to have gotten. But I also would not be too worried about MS just yet, though I've not heard that it's only for you "young people."

Hey, "youth" is a relative term ;)

Marguerite53 said:
So I saw my ophthalmologist today. He was reviewing my history. Paused, and said, "weren't you going to have a valve replacement at some point?" Yes. Well, he said....guess we're both members of the zipper club now. Turns out he had bypass surgery after a third stent wouldn't go in. This, 9 weeks ago. He's been back at work since 5 weeks. He looked very old and thin and tired! (he's late 60's). He repeated himself several times and had some difficulty comprehending the nuance of a request of mine. Hm.

I asked him about the occular migraines but he couldn't come up with any information more than we have already discussed. He's not a valve patient, so..... Then I mentioned the double vision and MS and he very succinctly told me that MS occurs in young people...in fact his 22 year old daughter had just recently been diagnosed with it. :eek: Well folks. After that, I wasn't going to ask him any more quesitons!! I just wanted a perscription for my first bifocals because I'm getting old :eek:

:confused: Sorry!!

Marguerite

Brown eyed guy

Brown eyed guy

I started having these 2-3 weeks before I had my TIA (with then unkown endocarditis and severe prolapse) in December 2004. I used to call them "my dragon". Little sparkly coil, black and white that grows bigger and out of view. Slight headache usually afterwards.

Neurologist tells me he sees an image of a rowboat when he has his "episodes". Optomitrist finally gave me the name and said little is known and I'd just have to deal with it.

Can't seem to pin down a definite cause, but often times it's right after I've had some caffeine. But not always. Sometimes I wake in the morning having one. Great way to start the day! I average about 2 a month.

My worst episodes of these occular disturbances also occured prior to my first TIA back in July, after coming home from the hospital. I like the name "dragon" because I must admit that's how mine look sometimes too! Your optometrist is undoubtedly correct - little IS known about these auras and yet, it's amazing because they seem pervasive among some migraine sufferers. My neuro actually admitted to me that they really don't KNOW that much about migraines, period. My concerns about auras went way UP after my TIA that occured during a week of recurrent auras. I also had one a day before my most recent TIA. That doesn't define cause & effect but it certainly does make me wonder what the connection is.

baradonai said:
I started having these 2-3 weeks before I had my TIA (with then unkown endocarditis and severe prolapse) in December 2004. I used to call them "my dragon". Little sparkly coil, black and white that grows bigger and out of view. Slight headache usually afterwards.

Neurologist tells me he sees an image of a rowboat when he has his "episodes". Optomitrist finally gave me the name and said little is known and I'd just have to deal with it.

Can't seem to pin down a definite cause, but often times it's right after I've had some caffeine. But not always. Sometimes I wake in the morning having one. Great way to start the day! I average about 2 a month.

Just came across this thread and found it sooo interesting as Chloe has these too every so often - maybe once every couple of months.
She did it again this evening prompting me to search. She describes zig zags in the corners of her eyes or sometimes 'fuzzy eyes' that always goes in a couple of minutes but irritates her while theyre there.

Jason (hubby/daddy) has asked her to describe it as he has suffered terrible migraines - visual/occular - since childhood, as has his nan, and he says what she describes is what he has too so I assume this runs in the family somehow. Only his sometimes go on to give him a headache. He seems to have grown out of it more now but his were terrible as a child.

Chloe doesn't get a headache after them though. I was wondering, could this be due to warfarin and enalapril at all?? Easier blood flow from ace-inhibitors etc so veins in head not contracting enough to cause full on migraines?? Quite possibly talking total rubbish but just thinking aloud really and glad to know Chloe is not the only one with these - seems quite common on this board.

BTW Chloe is also light eyed - green.

xxx

I am so "happy" to hear others have the double vision problem. I get it a couple of times a year and it started after my last OHS in 1994. It feels like a muscle pull behind my eyes and my vision goes double. I have checked my eyes and they look normal. This usually lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes.

I have had occular migraines since I was about 7. They were always accompanied by an incapacitating headache until I started on Inderal after I started having heart issues. Now I only get a headache about 20% of the time. I get the classic zigzags like in Clicker's web link, occasional dark spots that are outlined with a bright line and sometimes a blind spot in which I can't really see any pattern but cannot see through or around.

I have very dark brown eyes but there are a couple of green specks so maybe I sort of fit the profile that seems to be forming.

Back