occular migraines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CathyK.

I have read alot on occular migraines here and was wondering how many of us valve patients have these? I used to get them often but now only get them occassionally. I started getting them at a very young age, grade school age. I have noticed that if I am feeling really worn out, that is when I usually get one. Does this have to do with our conditions?:rolleyes:

Me too......

Me too......

Iv had occular migranes since a very young age also. I get the Zig Zag lights that start in the very centre of my vision and work their way outwards. It lasts about 20 minutes. I dont get a headache with it though !!!

Dito. Wondering......what color are your eyes? Mine are green/blue. This would be a great issue to poll. My MD said people with light colored eyes are more subceptiable to occular distrubances. I have had a complete work up. Neuro and eye. Nothing found.:) It has been confirmed....I do have a brain;) :p

Ps. I bet we will find more women with this issue. I have linked it to hormonal increases and decreases as well.

my eyes are blue. And yes, my corneal guy said light-eyed people do have more problems, but in general I'm the wrong sex and the wrong age to have this condition (mostly older women). Hmmmmm - There should probably be a joke here .....

I thought that I was having ocular migraines, but now I think it may be something else, like low blood pressure to my head. Mine are too consistant to be migraines. EVERY time I stand up or walk for very long (10 mins or more) everything becomes so bright that I can barely see, sometimes when I stand up. My eyes are also super sensitive to light. I NEVER had this happen until my symptoms started, before my diagnosis (AI), after a BAD headache. I actually thought that my Atenolol dose was too high, as all my symptoms were consistent with the overdose warnings on the label. That was the appointment the doc heard the murmur. After I stopped the meds, the vision problems continued. I do have migraines from time to time, usually with aura - this is different. Mine is both eyes, entire feild of vision. My eyes are hazel by the way ;0)

I had those for a time when I was in college, actually quite a flare up. Then they went away until, almost 30 years later, I underwent OHS. Then another flare up for several months, then it stopped. My eyes are blue by the way.

My sound just like yours - EireCara. Just about exactly the same. My eyes are hazel.

Blue eyes here. Occular migraines here which started as a child and calmed down for several years and got worse when I started hormonal supplementation. When I was taken off hormones they decreased again only to become a real problem at the time I had OHS. I never took any medicine for them until after I had OHS and have been on one thing or another since then. I'm on Nortriptyline now with satisfactory results.

Blue eyes in these sockets. I started to get them around the same time I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. Annoying zigzag patterns lasting around 15-20 minutes, no pain though. Still get them after the replacement. I've posted a link to an excellent site about this a few times past. If you didn't see it, let me know and I'll put it up again.

William.....

William.....

HI William, Iv had a look through some of our past posts but cant find the site you mentioned....could you post it again....p l e a s e!! I did however find your ''alternative friendship poem'' love it... just the giggle I needed , hehe.

My eyes are a very dark brown. I started getting ocular migraines about the time I started having endocarditis symptoms. It was pretty scary, I thought at first I was going to have a seizure! I get the zig zags and my peripheral vision gets fuzzy. I don't have any pain though. I seem to get them more frequently when I am stressed out, and each episode lasts about 20-30 minutes. I can't see very well when it happens, which makes taking tests/working with patients/performing surgery pretty difficult. I wish I knew how to prevent them! I can't figure out what triggers them besides stress, which I have alot of! Sometimes I get them 3-4/week, sometimes I go weeks without any. Weird.

Liza :)

Blue eyes here! I got occular migraines after AVR. Never had them before. Zig zag lights, clouding of about 1/2 or more of the vision in one eye....lasts about 20 minutes. Not always the same eye..

Blue eyes here as well. I've come to realize that I've had occular migraines in high school and in my twenties. Didn't know what they were then, but I've learned lots from vr.com, this being one of them.

Very dark brown eyes here; blue eyed father, green eyed brother, brown eyed mother, blue eyed husband, first handsome son has blue eyes, second handsome son has dark brown eyes like mine. None of that will be interesting to anyone but me:p! The younger son gets Cluster headaches -- really awful -- also called Suicide headaches; they developed after a horrible accident he had ten years ago with resulting (but happily now resolved) face and head and brain injuries. He has some of the Marfans look to him but, happily, no valve problems were detected in an echo.

Classic migraines with the zigzag - I still remember the first one I had as a sixteen-year old driving my Mustang; scared me. Mild headache follows for the remainder of the day but nothing will make the headache go away until the next day.

I also began having really strange double vision episodes about ten or more years ago which became more frequent as my valve became worse.

I hardly have the classic migraines anymore, post-op, and I've only had one of the double vision episodes since the new valve.

I have green eyes myself, and still get occular migraines. I've had them since I was a teen. Especially now, I get them when I'm tired or stressed. No fun! :(

Sounds like we are trending. Majority responses have light color eyes. Female.

I have had occulars since my late teens. They were severe through my early 20's. Tapered off and returned after my MVR, Early 30's. This may be a mix bag. Valve issues, i.e. cirrculatory... hormones fluctuating. Interesting. Wonder if we have funding for a formal study.;) :D

I've had the zig-zag things since high school, at least (35 years). Blue-eyed blonde. Pre-op they were barely happening...I think the Atenolol helped them. Post op, daily for a few months. Now one or 2 a week. I've noticed the double vision thing is happening more for me. I HATE that. I can feel it coming....it's like a pulling, almost like some of those goofy eyeball things you guys use sometimes on your avatars. I can feel it start to pull out of line and then there it goes....double vision. Doesn't last long. I close my eyes and rub them and try to will it away since it is so annoying. I mean, you just cannot see!

Sorry. I went off, didn't I. Anyone else feel their double vision? I keep wondering if that is different and somehow muscular.

Triggers for the zig-zags can be foodstuffs, additives, bright light, scents and perfumes, laundry soap.....lots of environmental triggers.

Interesting thread! There does seem to be a preponderance of blue and green eye'ds.

;) Marguerite

Latest posts

Back