Occasional pipe tobacco?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello all,

I had an AVR about 10 months ago and had a quick question.

Am I able to smoke pipe tobacco once or twice a month? Are there any associated risks with my heart being that I had an AVR? Thanks in advance and God bless! :)

I am not a doctor so my opinion means little. But I would not worry about firing up your pipe once or twice a month ... life is for the living and to be enjoyed....

Am I able to smoke pipe tobacco once or twice a month? Are there any associated risks with my heart being that I had an AVR?

Twice a month the risks would be exceedingly low. Long long ago in a galaxy far far away I asked my cardiac surgeon about the same thing. He replied that if I smoked so infrequently that I should simply give up. I explained that I enjoyed a cigar because I enjoyed an fine tobacco. I smoked about 3 a year.

The risks are there, but as they say: everything in moderation. Sadly most smokers are not moderate and are addicts.

If you mean the frequency you mention (twice a month), then I would doubt it would be detectable.

I had my last one christmas. For no particular reason I simply lost the taste for it. I have not had any tobacco in nearly 20 years.

God seems quite capricious with blessings. Don't rely on them.

Peter, maybe you need to evaluate your own level of risk. Others cannot decide this for you.
Smoking pipe tobacco is unhealthy; do you know for a fact that presently your lungs are pristine, does anybody in your family have lung problems?
And finally, is the twice monthly indulgence worth the risk of permanent damage ?
:) Eat some chocolate.

I was more so wondering if smoking was dangerous for AVR'ers? If so, how much more dangerous? What are the implications? Higher stroke potential?

It would be nice to light up a pipe (Gandalf style) every now and then. I do not have addiction problems.

Are there any smokers in this forum that are AVR patients?

Hey pgammo,

I enjoy a social smoke with friends while usually drinking a vodka tonic. Quality of life not quantity. Smoking everyday is probably not a good idea for anyone. If you where to enjoy a smoking session several times a month probably wouldn't raise your risk of stroke, lung cancer, becoming the marlboro man by much. As far as being qualified you'd probably be hard pressed to find anyone qualified to give you an unbiased response to your concern. We take risks everyday and its a part of life. We can't "nerf" the world so everything is safe and approved. The challenge for some is not becoming addicted to anything nicotine or alcohol. The people that die of lung cancer and liver failure are not casual users they are abusers. Yes you were given a second chance at life... Live it don't waste it.

Julian,

Thanks for your response, brother. Does your heart feel any different when you smoke? Just wondering what to expect post-AVR. I'm only expecting to smoke some pipe tobacco a few times per year.

I was more so wondering if smoking was dangerous for AVR'ers? If so, how much more dangerous? What are the implications? Higher stroke potential?

It would be nice to light up a pipe (Gandalf style) every now and then. I do not have addiction problems.

Are there any smokers in this forum that are AVR patients?

You may have missed my responce above, it was ost #3. Back when I smoked the occasional cigar I was an AVRer. I have had 3 OHS and 2 AVR. My comments may have been to succinct and you may not have regarded me as an AVRer.

As I mentioned with the levels you spoke of I do not believe that you could measure any effect.
That means that you would not be more likely to have a stroke, more likely to get any dam age to your valve (was your valve tissue or mechanical).

If you enjoy it and its in moderation as you suggest I see no reason not to.

I say go for it, once or twice a month shouldn't be a big deal. I would be shocked if there wasn't one valver on this site who hasn't gone against doctors orders and taken a risk. I've recently fallen back into smoking a few cigs a day, I know it's not good for me, but it's something that helps with stress, and I'm trying to wean down and stop again, but we all take risks. You weren't given a second chance to sit in a closet scared, however you should still know that at the same time it's a second chance. I personally see no issue with lighting the pipe up occasionally. Happy smoking!

Julian,

Thanks for your response, brother. Does your heart feel any different when you smoke? Just wondering what to expect post-AVR. I'm only expecting to smoke some pipe tobacco a few times per year.

I remember the first puff I took after surgery I noticed my heart jumped a little. But after that it was smooth sailing. The same thing happened after my first sip of wine my heart kinda danced for a few seconds. None of this happens anymore.

I read online that smoking is detrimental to AVR. It didn't elaborate. Having been exposed to 2nd hand smoke for my first 10 yrs of life, I am so glad I never started to smoke.
We've been given a golden ticket for life extension, and many of us 2 or 3 tickets! I wouldn't think any cardiologist would tell us that smoking is okay. I know when I asked my surgeon if I could drink
and he said a glass of wine once in awhile is okay. So, I don't drink daily and just adjust my INR as some do. We don't eat as healthy as we should, so adding smoking can't be a good idea.
Well, that's just the opinion of a Californian!

There is no safe amount of tobacco smoking.
If one chooses to smoke, that is an adult informed decision one can make but be truthful to yourself.
You should realize it is not a healthy choice you are making.

Latest posts

Back