numbness in thigh after ohs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha 1

has anyone ever had numbness in the left thigh kind of like novocane, just on the left side not all over after ohs. thanks still going through some things. thanks everyone for putting up with me i guess i am just probibly more emotional than most. and i love him so much, i cant help it we are home though, tonight 4-9. i love you guys.
alpha 1

Is it numbness that goes away,esp with movement. I have a numb feeling
sometimes on the left side of my neck and shoulder.It seems to be positional.
When I told the Doc , he didnt seem too concerned about it since I had no
dizziness with it. On the leg though Im not sure unless its a side effect of a med you take. Also during postop all kinds of uncomfortable and unusual
symptoms come out of nowhere-some are important ,others not.But if it
persists or is abnormal for you ,always ask. I do and I dont care if I make
a nuisance of myself or not.
Wishing you the best,Dina

Numbness can result from a few different causes, some of them due to nerve issues. It could be as 'simple' as a result from how he was positioned during surgery, or a pinched nerve. It could also be something more serious that needs attention (such as a clot).

This is certainly worthy of a telephone call to his Primary Care Physician and/or his surgeon's office, maybe even the ER if he can't be seen this morning by one of the above.

'AL Capshaw'

I can't help you about the numbness but want to say how happy I am you are all home now. Hopefully, your son's recovery will be smooth and easy and you will find peace in his recovery.

Hope all goes well for you.

Shortly before my first heart surgery, I was given a shot in my left thigh which must have just hit some nerve wrong (I'm guessing) and it caused numbness, just an area along my top thigh muscle, for litererally decades.

I'm so glad Adam gets to go home today. Take care :) .

Always call your doctor however I had numbness and pain in my left thigh after surgery. It's the one that had the heart/lung machine and it went away after a couple of weeks.
Earline

numbness

numbness

i dont think he had a cath there in the leg but doctors said it mite be due to the position he was in i had just wandered since you all have been through it, cuz i talked to docs before we left and they didnt seem too concerned but like al i worry about blood clots, and it doesnt seem to be leaving yet it seems to help some when he gets walking.

IIRC tubing from the heart lung machine sometimes goes in the groin and trauma from this can cause numbness spreading down the thigh.

You said the numbness is in his thigh, which is what I was answering in regard to.
So, is the numbness also in the groin area? Is there pain also or just the numbness you originally described?
Be sure and ask the doctors again and/or ask another doctor.

I have left-thigh numbness but mine is due to lumbar spine issues. How is his back?...His numbness may well get better once he gets more mobile.

numbness

numbness

the numbness is not in the groin area, just down the left side of the left thigh. dont know what it is asked the docs and nurses but they said it was just from positioning from the surgery, you all know how it is with doctors with us, cant always get much from them. we go in for post op appt on monday, will ask again then. i keep telling him to walk it out. sometimes it feels like it is getting better then sometimes it feels like it is getting worse. so just dont know. adam just shaved though, now he is getting achy and will need a pill.
alpha 1
alpha

Hi Janice,

so very glad to hear that Adam is home....finally! It is so much better being on the other side of this whole thing, huh? Even though there are lots of things that are going to come up and you will continue to have questions the stress of choosing a surgeon, picking a date, getting through the surgery...all that is behind you! I am so happy for you all and continue to ask questions. We are here for you.....

Sorry, can't help you with the thigh numbness...that's one thing I didn't experience!

Don't forget to take care of yourself too...I know this has been really stressful for you and stress can take a toll on YOUR health too.

sounds like a nerve to me. I have had a spot for years on the outside of my right thigh, like the muscle is numb. Over years it is better and I have feeling in it again. Don't know what caused or what sort of fixed it. I used to lean my leg against the wooden arm of my easy chair and maybe that's what caused it; I don't do that anymore.

Janice,
Glad to hear you are home. I posted on your other thread inquiring which hospital your son was at. You sounded so stressed and tired I was going to come up and give you a hand (if you were in Pittsburgh). I am glad to hear he is home, hopefully things will quiet down now and he will continue a smooth recovery. Good luck with that follow-up visit. Make sure you post & let us know how it went.

I had a similar problem that I noticed 2 days posts op and still have today (12+ weeks). Mine was on the outside of my right leg (the same leg as the angiogram however the angio insertion was on the inner thigh / groin area. Doctors think it is simple nerve damage that they will look into if it does not go away after 6 months. To be honest, it does not really bother me so as long as it does not get worse or represent a symptom of a more serious condition, I plan on living happily with it.

Good luck on Adam's continued recovery !

Latest posts

Back