NSAIDS new label

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I went to buy some advil for my menstral cramps and there is a new label describing the dangers and newly listed "do not take before or after heart surgery", or something like that. I did some research and found this new study http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/735672

I guess I'm stuck taking aspirin or tylenol :(

Michelle,
I wasn't able to get into the medscape article; however I found information at medlineplus drug information re: NSAIDS: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682159.html.
Here's an excerpt from the warning:

People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (other than aspirin) such as ibuprofen may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke than people who do not take these medications. These events may happen without warning and may cause death. This risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time. Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had heart disease, a heart attack, or a stroke;if you smoke;and if you have or have ever had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Get emergency medical help right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness in one part or side of the body, or slurred speech.

If you will be undergoing a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG; a type of heart surgery), you should not take ibuprofen right before or right after the surgery.

Did medscape mention valve replacement/repair surgery as a contra-indication? Just curious...:)

after my surgery i took motrin with vicodin for weeks to combat all of the muscular pain. it worked well, but i wish i would have known the dangers! my doctors told me it was fine to do, and to keep using it if it was working!

The article doesn't mention anything about heart surgery but on the label it does, and it just says "heart surgery" not any specific kind. Even before I knew I had to have heart surgery my cardiologist limited me to Tylenol. I can't remember exactly what she told me about it, but after surgery one of the Cleveland clinic nurse practitioners told me that ibuprofen and naproxin will affect something to do with your heart muscle healing. I can't remember that week in the hospital I was doped up pretty good. I see my cardiologist Monday and she keeps up to date on things so I'll ask her about it.

Latest posts

Back