Now Scheduled for September 11

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob in Colorado

Hi All.

I posted most of this in the valve selection forum and then realized that it probably should really have been here instead.

It has been a few months since I joined and participated in some great discussions about valve replacement choices. Life got in the way on regular participation. This is a terrific forum and is a great support to those of us that have to deal with this stuff.

I had a bicuspid aortic valve (like many on here) and had a homograft in March of 2000 at age 48 at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Joseph Sabik. All went well until gradual deterioration started at about year 6 or 7. Now I have severe regurgitation and some starting of stenosis. I have always been quite active but now can definitely feel the familiar symptoms of over exertion, chest pressure, and blood "whooshing" sounds in my ears.

I am now scheduled to go back to Cleveland on September 7 and have a re-operation. After much research and consideration, I decided that for a second surgery that I would choose a mechanical valve - though I recovered well from the first surgery, I am not looking forward to this second and *really* don't want to have a third if I can help it!

My Colorado cardiologist recommends the SJM but I am inclined to the On-X - I have been convinced by what I have learned here and directly from the On-X company - and I can recognize what I do believe are improvements in design and technology. Dr Pettersson of Cleveland Clinic will do the surgery. I am planning to have a consultation with him later this month.

Right now I would arrive on September 7th for a few days of tests before surgery on the 11th. I just wanted to jump back in here to say hello. This is a great resource.

Bob in Colorado

Bob, best wishes going forward. I put your surgery on the VR calendar so you'll have many members thinking of you on that day.

Best Wishes to you Bob. Since you are now officially on the calendar, I will most definately be praying and thinking of you. And don't be a stranger. Come back and post your experience so that others will be able to gain from your knowledge and advise.:)

Bob,
You are in the best of hands at CC and now you will get to see and use their new cardio wing. Tell us about that new facility and please keep us informed of your progress before and after your surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care,
John

Good luck with everything! Sounds like you've done your homework and there is definitely power with knowledge.

I just got home from Cleveland on Sunday from my mitral valve repair. Can't say enough good about that place.

You are in good hands!

Keep us posted!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers on September 11th. Sounds like you've done your homework and check everything out. Keep us updated on how your doing. May you have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
God Bless.

Bob,

Best wishes for a smooth and uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. You're in the best of hands at the Cleveland Clinic.

Kevin

Thanks to All!!

Thanks to All!!

Your comments mean a lot to me. You are all so kind. I will let you know about the new wing at Cleveland Clinic. In the meantime I am trying to get all my ducks in a row. Job, insurance, disability, family.

Incidentally, I had tried several times now to upload a photo but I just can't seem to make it happen. I think I have made is small enough (90 x 120) pixels, 11,000 bytes... but it just won't happen. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears - er eyes.

What a fine forum and great group of people. Oh, and all the best to Bonzo coming up. I'll bet he does just fine!

Bob

Glad you have a date and we will strenghten you in our prayers
God Bless

Wishing you all the best on the 11th, Bob, and a smooth recovery afterwards.

That is a momentous date in American history, but you will have a much more cheery reason to remember it as your valve anniversary -- your re-birthday, I call it -- as you move forward with a new lease on life.

Latest posts

Back