Now my daughter needs a Cardiologist check up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsouter

My 15 year old daughter, Meaghan, has been having fainting spells a lot recently.
Fell down the stairs at school 3 times so far this year.
Broke wrist twice, ankle once. Latest incident was Tuesday.

While in the Ambulance on the way to hospital, her heart was jumping from 58 - 74 bpm.
It continued for a while. With my Congenital Bicuspid Aortic Valve issue, they are sending her to a cardiologist as they suspect the heart as the cause of her fainting.

She had been tested when young and found to have no problems but who knows now.
Knowing Canada's system, I probably won't find out anything for 6 months to a year!
My Echo's are scheduled 3 months after my surgeon appointments due to the back log. Dec. 04th I go for my next echo. I definitely feel like surgery is needed soon.
After I get results, will be begging for another appointment with surgeon to go over results.

Gotta love when life not only junk punches you, but kicks you when you are down too!

Suppose you need the lows to appreciate the highs though.

Sorry to hear about her fainting spells... hopefully it turns out not to be her heart, and nothing major.

I'm so very sorry you have this worry. When I read your post it reminded me of what our cardio has mentioned a couple of times. He says that every year he evaluates a quite a few teenaged girls for suspected heart problems, and it turns out to be that they are dehydrated, and that is what is causing their fainting. I don't mean minimize your concerns in any way--it sounds like your daughter's fainting spells are severe--just wanted to mention in case you haven't yet gone over this possibility. I hope the cause is something easy to fix. Best of luck with your own valve. Best wishes, Jane

I feel the same way about our health system, but you should get the results within 10 days if not sooner if it's serious. Have faith, our system can work.

If you know when your echo is (Dec. 4) make an appointment NOW with your surgeon for Dec.15 or even the 10th. Tell them you cannot wait 3 months and would like to stay on top of this sooner than later.

You may be surprised how accommodating they can be. It won't hurt to try.

Good luck! Hope they find the answer to the fainting, and hopefully it'll be nothing as serious as a heart issue.

Another possible cause of fainting spells is a Low Heart Rate.

This can be monitored simply with a 24 hour Holter Monitor.

Hope your daughter's Doc's can pinpoint the cause and find a solution.

'AL Capshaw'

Hoping and praying for the best for your daughter, and certainly agree that it is something that doctors should diagnose without delay. You are right to pester them for prompt follow-up. I am biting my tongue not to make comments about nationalized health care. Just wishing for you and your daughter the best.

Oh dear! My daughter had a few fainting spells when she was that age. We knew from extensive testing connected with my heart-abnormalities that she (supposedly) had a normal heart. However, she had LOW BLOOD PRESSURE and when she got up quickly, she could black out. (I remember that I had that problem at that age but would grab a wall to hold myself up when all was momentarily growing dark.) My daughter, at 30, has some heart palpitations from time to time. Her heart still sounds normal to doctors, however. She has terrific health insurance in the USA through her husband's job, so that is not to blame for her not having a big work up. We are just trying to prevent her getting low BP and also low blood sugar (we both are hypglycemic by nature). The wait will probably be OK for your daughter too unless the fainting gets to be so often or the damage so great that more testing is needed right away. Remind her not to get up and run quickly (as in answering the phone). That, for us, was often associated with fainting.

Meaghan's blood pressure is normal apparently.
I had thought it may be due to low iron or diet but have been making her eat better and making her mother make her eat better. (She lives at her mothers)
Dehydration could be an issue as she has started drinking coffee. She doesn't drink pop of any kind so caffeine is new.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice guys.
It really does help to vent and hear others thoughts and advice.

Cheers!

Dugald

Oh dear! My daughter had a few fainting spells when she was that age. We knew from extensive testing connected with my heart-abnormalities that she (supposedly) had a normal heart. However, she had LOW BLOOD PRESSURE and when she got up quickly, she could black out. (I remember that I had that problem at that age but would grab a wall to hold myself up when all was momentarily growing dark.) My daughter, at 30, has some heart palpitations from time to time. Her heart still sounds normal to doctors, however. She has terrific health insurance in the USA through her husband's job, so that is not to blame for her not having a big work up. We are just trying to prevent her getting low BP and also low blood sugar (we both are hypglycemic by nature). The wait will probably be OK for your daughter too unless the fainting gets to be so often or the damage so great that more testing is needed right away. Remind her not to get up and run quickly (as in answering the phone). That, for us, was often associated with fainting.

They were my 2 thoughts too, I have both low BP and Hypoglycemic, and before we figured it out, in my early 20s I was passing out all over, (it can also be embarrasing when you wake up on the floor with a bunch of poeple staring down at you. ) now when I start feeling odd, I eat something real quick
I pray it is something "easy" for your daughter

Latest posts

Back