Not good news about my husband....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have barely been here in the last few weeks...been SO busy....

In the middle of February, the Monday before Mardi Gras, I took my husband to the ER. He was admitted with pneumonia after waiting sitting in a chair in pain for about 4 hours. He was released that Wednesday. The next day, Thursday, I had to bring him back.Again we waited for about 4 hours before seeing someone. They kept him in the hospital until the following Tuesday. Then they sent him home with antibiotics including Vancomycin by IV.(They put in a port.) They told us to come back to the oncologists the following Monday.

This past Monday, when we went to see the oncologists, they told us that they felt there was nothing else they could do. The lung cancer did not respond to the chemo that they already did. The PET scan shows the tumor has grown. They said he was much too weak for another round of chemo, that more chemo would probably shorten his life rather than prolong it.Since he does not want any life support, they turn him over to Hospice. When he pressed the doctor for a time line, they said maybe as little as 6 - 8 weeks.

As soon as we got home, Hospice contacted us.They have been over every day since then. A nurse has come every day to give him the Vancomycin IV in the morning and I did it at night. He is done with that. We also had a social worker come over.

I am still trying to work. I am the only person in this house bringing in money except for his diability. So I have been getting up really early and giving him a bath and taking care of what he needs and then going to work and hurrying home after work. His daughter has been trying to check up on him but she wrecked her car and she has to depend on her boyfriend who works all kinds of different hours. My sister is coming tomorrow and staying 2 weeks. That will give me a chance to decide what to do and also to see how things are going.

Before the pneumonia, he was walking across the yard and visiting with the neighbor while I was at work. Now he can barely go from the bed to the wheelchair by himself. We rearranged the living room and put his hospital bed in here. He is in pain sometimes. The pain med(generic Oxycontin) that he is taking does a pretty good job of taking care of the pain and he has Dilaudid for breakthrough pain. But the Dilaudid makes him very out of it. He is like drunk when he takes it. Hospice is supposed to look at his pain meds. I am worried that they may not want to pay for the REALLY high dose of Oxycontin which does not make him feel all drugged up but leaves him alert. I know they like to use morphine. In the morning, he sound just like himself and enjoys calling my family and taking to them on the phone. He still enjoys his dog too. I do not want to see him in pain ,so I hope there is a way to control the pain and still leave him to enjoy being alive.

I am hanging in there, barely. Y'all thought I was a basket case before my OHS last year...That was nothing compare to now. So I thought I would let you know what is going on. Needless to say, I have been extremely busy. All your prayers are very much appreciated.

Praline,

We were so hoping that things would turn out differently although I never rule out last minute miracles.

I will be praying for you, your husband and your family. I hope the time remaining (however long) is precious and memorable and, most of all, comfortable for you all.

Sending many hugs and prayers. God bless you.

Praline....You have my prayers....I know this is a horrible

Praline....You have my prayers....I know this is a horrible

thing to be going through, as I have recently found myself in a similar situation with my grandmother. Please know that I am praying for you and your whole family during this difficult time. (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) Harrybaby:eek: :eek:

This is sad news. I'm sorry for what you're going through. It's so difficult to care for someone so close to you and have to be everything else as well.

Somewhere in all this, take a moment for yourself.

Very best wishes,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Remember, every time someone says, let me know if there is something I can do - have something for them to do. They can bring over a meal, go pick up your husband's daughter, run errands for you, etc.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Praline. It sounds like you are making the very best of an awful situation.

All the best to you.

Remember, every time someone says, let me know if there is something I can do - have something for them to do. They can bring over a meal, go pick up your husband's daughter, run errands for you, etc.

That's such great advice. I truly believe everyone who says that sincerely means it and will find comfort in knowing they really did help.

Hi Praline

I'm SOOOO sorry to hear of this. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you WILL get through this. Just look at how strong you are and have been....I will be praying for you all.

Evelyn

Praline, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Can the hospice help out with the pain med issue, convincing the hospital or insurance that the higher dose of Oxycontin is better for him?

You both remain in my prayers. Hospice usually does a very good job of keeping their patients comfortable. I hope that is the case with your husband.

I am so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to both of you. Savour every precious moment you have with him, as best you can. The rest is in God's hands.

May God bless both of you.

Praline -

Praline -

Just reading your words brings back the terrible pain that I still feel from watching my Mom die from breast cancer (five years ago). I don't know exactly what you are going through, but I certainly know cancer and the suffering and sadness it brings to all involved with it.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. He sounds as if he is a very strong man. A person near to our family told us before Mom died to say everything we wanted to say to her - that is the best advice I can give you right now. I hope you and your husband will be able to have a very meaningful "good-bye" until you see one another again. But most of all, I am hoping for a miracle for your husband. There is always hope.

I am so sad for you. God give you his grace and peace. Your husband and you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Christina L

Praline,

I would like to add my prayers along with all of the others before me. I pray for strength for you as you deal with all that you need to deal with and I pray for painfree days for your husband. I wish you did not have to work so that you could treasure your time together without interruption.

Godspeed!
susie

Praline

Praline

I will be praying for you and your Hubby..When my M/I/ Law was only given a few weeks..We found a private home..where they take care of a few People.. the owner made them feel like they were in a home..not a Nursing home. ..and hospice came everyday..They had her on Morphine patches..she was very comfortable with them..(pain free)... and knew all of us up until the day she passed in her sleep......I am sure that Hospice will not charge you anything for him to be pain free..Take care of yourself..You need to take care of yourself, too. .Bonnie

Dear Praline,

Dear Praline,

I am sending love and prayers to you and your husband. I know morphine was a blessing for a number of people I was close to. In any case, I hope they can keep him comfortable, and as alert as possible. Your valve bro, Brian

Praline, please know that I am keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you both. Remember how many people here care about you. LINDA

Latest posts

Back