Not Depressed but . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNDenver

This week (2nd postop) I have just felt kind of disconnected. I have been working out with my walking program and really trying to gut it out and recover. I've noticed I have a really flat affect and have been a little sensitive. No lashing out or anything, but my DW told me that I look sad all the time when I think no one is looking. I have gone from 2 walks 1 mile total on Monday to 4 walks about 4 miles each on Thursday and Friday.

I should be fine, incision is healing without any issues. I have no complications after the surgery and as long as I am in a position to be observed neighbors and wife say I look great. Is this something I should just punch through? After reading some of the scenarios that other people have to endure, I feel like a wuss for bringing this up.

Perfectly normal. Part of recovery like the rest of the weird things that happen. Subconsciously, your emotionally messed up and it's showing externally. Takes a while for things to reset.

disconnected and flat effect?

disconnected and flat effect?

You wrote about feeling somewhat disconnected. I remember feeling something like that also, around the same time post-op. Happily for me it went away.

Hoping you'll continue feeling better day by day. Take care :) .

two weeks is a little early to be feeling like your 'used to be' self. Your body has undergone a severe attack and you won't be normal for awhile yet. Give it some more time, but keep track and if you feel it is becoming a problem, get in touch with your doctor. wishing you the best outcome. Blessins.......

It sounds similar to what many of us experience. I felt like I was caught between two worlds-- not fully engaged in either.
Give it some time, and you will gradually move back to "normal".:)

Ditto what everyone else has said. Also, it takes longer than two weeks for the effects of all of those drugs to get out of your body. They can really mess with your emotions as well. Just hang tough...it will get better.

Kim

Ditto what everyone else has said. Also, it takes longer than two weeks for the effects of all of those drugs to get out of your body. They can really mess with your emotions as well. Just hang tough...it will get better.

Kim

Been there, done that and it was REALLY bad for me.
But like Kim said "hang tough and be tougher.....it WILL get better"

You will have ups and downs both physically and emotionally for at least 2 months, maybe 6 maybe 12!! Maybe more!! :) We all heal at our own pace. If you are several months out and feeling flat and disconnected, it is totally within reason that you run this past your primary care giver to see if you are feeling a little depression. Some times we just can't get through this on our own. And given what we had to endure.....even those of us who had "boring" recoveries, we all had a ton of chemicals poured into us, knives lashed, saws grinding.....like an invasion! So if you can't seem to eventually shake this uneasiness you describe, it might be time to check in with a doctor. I think you are probably fine right now, pretty normal. Give yourself some time. Healing is a large endeavor.

At least your loving family is nice and asking if you are sad. My family were laughing at me all the time because I didn't make much sense for awhile!! :p:p Nah.. They were very nice to me too, of course!!!! But I did get a little indignant with the humor they were finding in me!!! :D

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Rob....cut yourself some slack;). Your signature says you had surgery 9/4/08 ?
That's only 2-l/2 weeks ago. Get rid of the "big boys don't cry" mentality and use this time to get some tender, loving care. You will get back to your manly responsibilities (mowing, cleaning the garage, window washing, painting:eek:) soon enough.

I, too, can totally relate. In my case I stopped by my cardio's office after one of my rehab sessions. Told him about my almost uncontrollable crying jags, etc. His response was, Oh yeah, we forget to tell patients about this. Then he called my PCP ( in same building) who prescribed alprazalom. Worked like a charm... weaned myself off fairly quickly but I still carry it in my purse 'just in case'!

Rob, the gang is right. Don't expect too much too soon, or you will feel even worse.
You are perfectly entitled to feel kind of crappy and disconnected off and on for a while.
It took me a long time to get out of the ditch (my family got fed up with me I think), but some of us are sensitive and it takes a bit longer.
This OHS stuff is a big deal. Time heals.

Hi Rob,

If after 2 1/2 weeks your major problem is that you feel disconnected then you are doing fine. You are going to have some strange emotional and physical events (when I coughed it felt like my parts were coming off inside or a thousand bees were stinging my back). Do not worry you are ok. I am with Ross on the 4 mile walks. I think that is too much too soon. Best of luck!

I think there is quite a bit of ups and downs. The more you get back to what you used to do the better it will get. It will get better, I am 6 weeks post op, back to work and riding the motorcycle. I still have days that I feel different then I used to, not really sad but you wonder what it would be like to live your life without going through this.

4 walks of 4 miles each this soon? Son your OVERDOING.

I would say "big time!"

Take it easy, nap a lot, and don't push it (unless you're a closet Olympic marathoner :D). If it doesn't go away in a few weeks, talk to your doctor. I concur with most of what has been said. Your boday has to heal, your bones are still knitting together, and you need that energy to heal. If you overdo it now, you could regret it later.

I think it normal

I think it normal

I have felt the ups and downs that the rest of the group mentioned as well, I think it will just take time. It can be hard to accept that we can't jump right back into life as it was before but it must be remembered that in time, it will be better. I walked a lot in my first week and over did it, I ended up in the ER and suffered a major backsliding for the next week( very hard on the emotions) so make sure you don't run yourself into the ground and end up going backwards. it appears to me like you are doing all you can to get better so try to think about yourself in 6 months from now. Good luck,
Dave

I would say you are doing fine...I would say 1 mile a day is long enough for a good walk...no need to walk a marathon yet. Keep up the exercise just don't overdo it because you still have alot of inside healing to do yet.

This disconnected feeling is very common and is something I clearly remember. I felt that way for ages. After about 5-6 months I started to participate more in the life going on around me. Before then I was perfectly happy just sitting back watching and listening. Its fine and you have been through something major so just go with the flow.

Hi Rob,

Please don't over do it, give your body a chance to heal, certainly exercise, but slowly increase more and more over a few months. And the emotional stuff, that's all part of the recovery. I wish you all the best and an uncomplicated recovery.

Jeff.

Back