Norm's Story so far, starting with recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, I've got a bunch of cheap pill cutters already, mostly from Dollarama. They seem to work OK, once I get the little Meto half aligned properly! (Although I have thrown out one wimpy deformed quarter already.)

I haven't noticed any increase in my heart rate so far. (I'm still compulsively checking on my cheap Chinese HR monitor watch!)

Lovely (though cold) day today, and the roads are finally pretty clear of snow and ice. I had a bunch of places to be, so I "fired up" the ol' bicycle for the first time post-op. It was great! Nice to have another step toward normal, and it's a great way to get around town.

I took it easy going uphill, coming back home. Final HR was 125, and I've (maybe just once) seen higher from my cardiac-rehab mile of power walking. So I don't think I abused my rehab schedule, or my heart. I'm calling a 20-minute slightly uphill gentle bike ride the equivalent of a mile of power walking, 16 mins/mile. I'll find out tomorrow if my rehab supervisors are unhappy with me. (I thought of walking a mile, too, but didn't.)

Also off to Whistler for another ski week in less than a week -- yay!

Second Whistler ski week, 3.5 months post-op!

Second Whistler ski week, 3.5 months post-op!

Second post-op Whistler ski week was a hoot, and a huge success. This time without Metoprolol or Warfarin. I kept the helmet (though I bought it for the Warfarin), because it's no bother and why not? I also mounted a tiny cheap "keychain videocam" on it, and played with some real-time as-we-ski videos. Mostly unviewable, between the cheap technology and the unskilled newbie cameraman, but a few clips are OK, and they're OK memory-joggers, like bad snapshots. . .

I wore my ($20!) chest-strap (and wrist-watch) heart-rate monitor whenever I skied, and it worked beautifully. I skied hard (normally) for a burst, then stopped, checked my HR, then waited 'til it dropped, always <120 and usually <=115-ish. I was usually in the mid-130s or so when I stopped. Low 140s were fairly common, and I briefly saw it reading high 140s or even 150-ish. It usually seems to average very quickly, reporting the "extrapolated" BPMinute rate after maybe only 2 or 3 beats, so I think I saw higher numbers than I would have gotten by counting for 10 seconds or more. I always felt fine, though this might be one of those things where you feel fine until you "blow a seam" and it's over, I have no idea. (I do recall, though, that my surgeon said "No problem, have fun!" before my FIRST ski week, so he doesn't seem to be worried about my blowing a seam.

The RN who runs my Cardio Rehab group wasn't too tickled about my recent gentle bicycling, though, and she didn't seem too tickled about my ski week, when I asked her for guidance. Her first question was identical to my Cardio's, 7 weeks earlier: "Let's be clear: You're going no matter what I say, right?" (Right.) She gave me some heat-rate guidance based on my cardio performance during my (bicycling) stress test, but I was on 50mg/d of Metoprolol then, so I don't think it's relevant now. She said I'd developed some arrhythmias at HR 127, so she'd be worried if I went much higher. OTOH, that was as high as my HR got during a grueling 10-minute stress test (the longest I've EVER kept working!), so I'm not surprised that my heart was in some distress. If I worked that hard on a bicycle now, without the Beta-blocker, I'd be up to 150 for sure!

I skied all 6 days, mostly starting after noon ('cause I'm a slug-a-bed and I was returning phone calls and doing e-mail and other "work" in the mornings). I skied more than 20,000' of "vertical" during two of the days, which is my pre-op normal landmark for a "real" or "full" ski day. (Heli-skiing operators sometimes charge extra if you go over that.) I mostly stayed on groomed blue and black (int. & expert) runs, with only a few forays into the ungroomed big bumps. They take much more effort, so the "bursts" were shorter and the rest periods longer. Next season, with luck.

In general, my cardio endurance improved throughout the week, though day 2 didn't seem any better than day 1 (which worried me a little). It took much more to get me up to HR "X" as the week went on, and I usually recovered more quickly, too -- though sometimes more slowly again toward the end of the day.

So, I've pretty well taught "the pig" to ski well and energetically on the groomed runs.

One of my ski partners wondered whether it would help to get the pigs racing, and choose valves from the fastest and fittest ones. Of course, there's also HORSE (pericardial) valves, and even a slow horse can beat a fast pig. . .

4 months post-op, a cold is just a cold!

4 months post-op, a cold is just a cold!

Now I've caught the cold that my wife caught in Whistler! But the good news is that it just feels like a "normal person's" cold. When I caught a bug a couple of weeks post-op, I felt like a sick heart patient -- and I ended up with A-fib and V-tach, spending 4 hours in the ER! This time it just feels like a cold. Not fun, but it's progress of a sort!:)

Thanks for writing your story, Norm. I read through it all with great interest, as you are a few months ahead of me in the whole thing. I did get a mechanical valve, however, so will be on warfarin for life. They are still dialing in my INR, which has been very stubborn on the low side of 1.9-2.1. I am hoping to have it right by Monday, but only time will tell!

I haven't updated this "blog" for over a month. Mostly it's been slow and steady improvement, in Cardiac Rehab. My "prescription" went from 1 mile (@16 minutes/mile) to 2, to 2.5 miles. At 2.5 miles, they gave me the option of doing 15 minutes of gentle wimpy bicycling on the level. All plus 5 minutes warmup and 5 minutes cool-down.

Recently I've been doing LOTS more bicycling than that, and not very wimpy, OR level. Mostly bicycling ~3 miles down to Lake Ontario, late to catch the boat to my sailing club, then biking ~3 miles back home uphill after sailing. It's felt pretty normal and "non-clinical", and my final heart rate's been pretty moderate after the ride uphill -- though I usually don't count the rate 'til after I turn off my lights, take off my helmet, and lock everything up.

For a month or more I've been trying to get my Rehab place to give me another stress test, now that (a) I'm off Metoprolol and (b) My CV fitness seems much more normal than it was in February when they did the first one. Three Tuesdays ago they were supposed to give me "telemetry" -- a Holter-like 12-lead monitor that transmits wirelessly on their walking track -- but one of the other RNs grabbed the gizmo before "my" RN came to get it, so it didn't happen. Two Tuesdays ago I discussed my "problem" with one of the other RNs, who said it seemed obvious that I should have another stress test, and I readily agreed. Soon after I got a phone message from "my" RN, telling me who to call to set up another stress test! ;)

TODAY WAS THE DAY!! I got on the special bike, gas-analysis tube in my mouth, BP cuff on my right bicep, my cheap Chinese BP cuff on my left wrist. (I always put it on the right, but that's where THEIRS goes!). They wouldn't let me see the screen with my results, just the little screen that showed the bicycle's RPM, which I was supposed to keep between 60 and 65 -- though later they told me I could go 65-70 if I found it easier. (I didn't.) Of course, the resistance gradually increases as the minutes go by, as it does on the treadmill (which I've used more often).

In February (on Metoprolol), I pedaled for 10 minutes, which felt like it was going to kill me. Later I heard that my pulse only got up to 137, but by then my rhythm was getting weird and scary. As a result, my Cardio RN suggested that I not go over 127 in my exercises -- which seemed way too low, based on my monitoring while skiing at Whistler, even WITH the Metoprorol, and even more so since I've dropped it.

Today they kept me going for 12 minutes, apparently all sinus rhythm, and my HR got up to around 143 before they got bored and decided to quit and go home. (Yes, I was the last appointment of the day, at my request -- night owl!) At one point, the tech at the screen commented that my BP was 30 points lower than it had been at that point in my first test, in Feb. The two of them must have said "Good JOB!" about 6 times -- roughly the way you'd say it to a dog that finally learned a trick! ;) They mixed it up with a few "Great test!" comments, too. . .

Tomorrow I go to my weekly Cardio Rehab class, at the same place. My Cardio RN should have the results of the stress test by then, and it will be interesting to see how it changes my "exercise prescription". I'm guessing she'll at least give me permission to do what I've already been doing, on the bicycle!

BTW, my $20 Chinese wrist-based BP-&-HR monitor HATED working on my left wrist! I've used it maybe 150-200 times since the surgery, and it's given an error message on one occasion, maybe two, in the whole time. Today, it was determined to give repeated error messages instead of readings. After we were finished, I tried it on my right wrist, and it worked fine!! The numbers seemed plausible, too.

Norm...thanks for chronicling your saga is such great detail! As someone who's looking at this surgery soon, June 16, I've read it over carefully. I do have a question...did you find getting back on your bike difficult with regards to your sternum? Did that cause you pain or discomfort...or is it really a non-issue at this point?

Thanks again,

Tim

Norm - It is great to read that you're making such progress! I hope to start rehab within the next week or so, and expect to have some of the same frustrations that you do. I've been "walking" 2 miles daily at 4+ miles/hr, with short sprints at jogging. I expect that they will not expect that much from a post-surgical patient.

BTW - I expected that you would do well. After all, you've been practicing!

Keep up the good example for the rest of us, and thanks for posting.

Thanks for the update, Norm. I look forward to the day when I can drop the metoprolol and get my heart rate up, but understand that it is doing good things for me right now. It is encouraging to read your story, though!

Thanks for your great update, Norm. It is so great to hear positive news. I am looking forward to starting cardiac rehab. I don't know when that will be. I see my cardio this Thursday and my surgeon next Tuesday. I am going to be one month post op as of Friday. I am on Lopressor as well plus Amiodorane for a-fib. I am looking forward to at least dropping the Ami. No a-fib for 10 days now. Anyway, I appreciate reading such positive news. It certainly gives me a boost. I know there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Jeri

Norm...thanks for chronicling your saga is such great detail! As someone who's looking at this surgery soon, June 16, I've read it over carefully. I do have a question...did you find getting back on your bike difficult with regards to your sternum? Did that cause you pain or discomfort...or is it really a non-issue at this point?

Thanks again,

Tim

Tim, I was doing hairy things -- like downhill skiing at Whistler at 7 or 8 weeks post-op -- long before I got on a bicycle, mostly because we had a miserable winter here in Toronto, with frozen-slush "death cookies" all over the roads and especially near the curbs. I also had an unusually easy sternum recovery, at least based on the comments here (which have a natural bias toward problems and concerns). Reaching up overhead was never a problem, and ADL "loadings" -- like opening fridge doors, getting out of chairs and bed -- that caused pain for some others didn't hardly ever cause me any. Nothing magic -- e.g., no Kryptonite super-glue on the sternum, just SS wires -- but it started out OK and improved gradually and reasonably fast. (It helped that I never sneezed for a while post-op! After hurling, sneezing seems to be the WORST!)

YMMV, we're all different, but the rule of thumb is that the physical healing -- sternum and soft-tissue cuts-and-joins -- happens primarily in the first 6 weeks. CV recovery and heart "remodeling" generally take much longer, and there are often little twinges and "feelings" well after 6 weeks, but that's the general rule of thumb for bones and tissue largely to grow back together.

Norm - It is great to read that you're making such progress! I hope to start rehab within the next week or so, and expect to have some of the same frustrations that you do. I've been "walking" 2 miles daily at 4+ miles/hr, with short sprints at jogging. I expect that they will not expect that much from a post-surgical patient.

BTW - I expected that you would do well. After all, you've been practicing!

Keep up the good example for the rest of us, and thanks for posting.

Steve, despite my 2-month head start, despite your relatively large "bumps in the road", AND despite your lack of formal Cardiac Rehab so far, you're already walking faster than my Rehab program has authorized me to do, and almost as far --until later today, anyway! My kamikaze urban cycling (rushing to catch a boat to the Sailing Club!) may be as aggressive as your <15-minute walking miles, though your jogging may be just as aggressive. IOW, I really don't think the lack of a formal Rehab program is holding you back, at least judging from my example!

Go Class of 2011 -- and all the rest of us, too!

Norm, lack of the program isn't holding me back in any general sense. The benefit I hope to derive from the program is to have their therapists help me to work out a balanced exercise routine that will help me to rebuild the upper body strength I had before surgery. Although I've only been away from the upper body exercises a couple of months, it is appalling how much muscle mass just seems to disappear overnight! While my cardio fitness may be adequate (or even ahead of the class) I feel that my arms and chest will need a lot of work to balance things out for future activities. Of course, I also want to rebuild that muscle mass to avoid looking my age. . . but I had it before and I want it back!

Sounds sensible to me, Steve!

At Cardio Rehab today, my Cardio RN sat me down with my Stress Test results. Most of them were very substantially better-fitter than the test from February, as expected. As a result, my "prescription" is shifted from 2.5 miles of 16-minute/mile walking (5x/week) to 3 miles of walk-jog at 14.5 minutes/mile (3/8 mi walk, 1/8 mi jog, "rinse and repeat"). I can also bicycle, details a bit vague, but my "red-line" is a HR of 145 (up from 127). Now I have to find even MORE time to exercise, AND enough time to stop sweating and maybe even shower! (I was dripping WAY more after doing only TWO miles of walk-jog on the track today, than I usually do after 2.5 miles of power-walking.)

Last edited:
Norm

It's always great to read about your progress. My surgeon cleared me to bypass[bad cardiac joke] on the cardiac rehab program. He was content with me formulating my own monitored by my cardiologist and GP.

Hey Grey or TIM

My surgeon said the sternum is very set after 3 weeks. I rode a time trial bike on a stationary trainer at 3 weeks. With my elbows in the cups my back/lats took the bulk of the load. Started riding outside after 4 weeks on a road bike. My sternum got cranky prior to an hour. Weeks 7 and 8 I can easily ride for 2 hours [haven't gone beyond 2 hours but the sternum should be pain free, as long as I don't crash] with no sternum pain. I'm even bunny hopping my road bike over small road hazards.

This is mostly a routine update at 7 months post-AVR, and several months into my Cardio Rehab. My exercise prescription has been gradually and slightly upgraded, most recently from 7:1 walk-jog (it was 7/16 mi. walk, then 1/16 mi. jog, repeat 5 more times), to 3:1 walk-jog (3/16 + 1/16 mile, repeat 11 more times) -- basically twice as much jogging as before. All to be done 5 days/week, or the "equivalent" bicycling. And they've added 2x/wk resistance training =~ weights & Therabands & stuff, 12 different exercises.

I've mostly been bicycling (to get places, mostly my Sailing Club), and doing the walk-jog ONLY on Tuesdays, at Cardio Rehab, on one of their tracks (1 indoors, one out). Recently, they've been short-changing our track time, and yesterday was actually the FIRST time I had enough time to finish the full 3 miles of walk-jog. It was a somewhat more sustained/long CV exercise session than I'd done before, though it was also "no sweat" -- peak HR ~130, finished the last jog (@3 miles) @~120 HR. When the ("pushy") RN who's running my program found out that I actually had NOT been DOING the walk-jog for 3 miles -- ever, much less close to 5x/week -- she indicated that it wouldn't make sense to keep upgrading my exercise prescription if I'm not actually FOLLOWING it, and suggested that I find time to DO the walk-jog at least 1x or 2x/week. I'm not sure that's actually going to happen.

On an unrelated(?) topic, I asked her whether or not it was a reasonable goal for me to return to competitive volleyball (beach and court) with the "young folks". I had in mind ~September, when the indoor volleyball seasons start (and sailing season ends). She asked "How young?" and I said "30-something". She said (a) wear a heart monitor, esp. at first, and make sure you're below your "red line", and (b) sure, try out a game or two and see how it goes.

It sounded as if we were talking about different timelines, so I asked "Do you mean NOW??" And she said "Sure, why not, Summer is Beach Volleyball season."

I almost fainted on the spot -- but I knew that she'd chalk that up as "syncope" and start worrying about my heart, so I didn't. But this is the FIRST time that she's ever given any indication that she could ever be MORE permissive or aggressive or adventurous than I've been myself! I'm also not sure she's picturing the aggressiveness of the volleyball I play, but it's often WAY harder on the CV system than "walk-jog", or even some pretty frantic, late-for-the-boat bicycling. When a volleyball point goes on and on and on, and you're responsible for blocking, spiking, digging, and maybe setting, on a 4-person team (or even 3-person or 2-person), you just keep scrambling until the ball hits the floor/sand.

But I suspect I'll drop in to one of the late Saturday-night indoor beach "drop-ins" in the next month or two, and just see what it feels like to run in the sand, jump at the net, dive for the ball, etc. It will be a test of my CV progress AND of my left Achilles tendon and calf, which haven't seen a volleyball court since I ruptured that AT, almost a year before my AVR.

I mentioned elsewhere (but not in this thread?) that a few weeks ago, when getting into bed at night, I noticed some "ventricular bigemini" -- a sustained and regular "beat, beat, skip" pattern of pulses, like for 5 minutes in a row. I haven't discussed that with my Cardiologist. But this past week, I had a different thing happen when getting into bed at night: a REALLY slow heart-rate, with really big individual pulses. I was measuring my HR <50 several times -- as low as ~42-ish according to my (cheap) wrist-BP monitor! -- with my heart "pounding out of my chest" kind of like it did shortly post-op (though my HR was in the 90's or higher back then). I THINK the large beats/volumes are just compensating for the low HR, which is one of the things hearts do. My CV-rehab nurse is worrying that I may really have an underlying HR that's twice as fast, but that PVC is "hiding" half of the pulses. (If "beat, beat, skip" is called bigemini, then "beat, skip" is called ____?)

To me, it all seems like a cardio system "finding its way to normal" -- a bit weird, maybe slightly unsettling, but probably temporary and OK. But I do intend to phone my Cardiologist to see if he's more concerned than I am. Maybe tomorrow.

Almost 8.5 months post-AVR now, and still experiencing a REALLY slow heart-rate, with really big individual pulses, especially when I'm in bed or sitting still for a long time. In response (and after some prompting from my Cardio Rehab nurse and others), I called my cardiologist and spent 48 hours on a Holter monitor last week. I had several classic episodes of those symptoms while wearing the monitor, and I noted them as "events". After several days of "phone tag", I got to talk to him today.

I've got PACs, premature Atrial contractions, and they especially happen when I notice those symptoms. My Atrium "fires" prematurely, and it doesn't trigger a proper pulse-producing heartbeat, but it may delay the next, "proper" heartbeat (which may be bigger than average because there are so few beats that actually circulate blood).

I'd briefly worn my chest-strap HR monitor during one of these slow-HR episodes, thinking that it would pick up "extra" heartbeats that didn't move enough blood to create a detectable pulse. (It detects electrical impulses across the heart, like a super-basic "2 lead" EKG.) But it reported exactly the same slow HR that my wrist-strap BP monitor (and my finger on my pulse) reported. (My Cardiologist was surprised when I told him those results today.)

Wikipedia suggests that PACs in healthy patients should be treated with "reassurance", and he did some of that. It's possible that PACs can turn into A-fib, but otherwise it seems to be relatively harmless, and not uncommon among healthy asymptomatic men (2 refs from the Wiki article). He said that the PACs are NOT interfering with my circulation, or increasing my risk of thromboembolisms or stroke. Coffee and chocolate are risk factors, and I consume a fair amount of coffee and a LOT of dark chocolate -- the chocolate mostly late in the day, shortly before I hit the hay (and experience the PAC symptoms), so maybe I'll back off.

He also said that I should check that I have adequate potassium and magnesium levels. I just had a blood test recently, so I'll ask my GP to check those levels -- more "reassurance"! (Maybe substitute bananas for chocolate?) He said I COULD go back onto a Beta Blocker again, which would probably control the PACs, and maybe make it less likely that I develop A-fib. He didn't seem to be suggesting that, or especially concerned about any of it.

Comments welcome, of course!

Back