Norm's Story so far, starting with recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the sounds of your story it may just be your heart showing you who is boss right now.Going to parties,going up stairs 2 at a time ,not eating properly,etc etc,just over stressing your body when it needs to slowly recover maybe????????

Norm, I also stayed on the metoprolol to keep my HR in check, but I wasn't doing all the physical shenanigans that
you are doing. ;) Get some rest, stop sneezing so much without sternum support (pillow), and try to eat small,
balanced meals. Best wishes.

Thanks, folks.

Bina, the un-splinted sneezes now feel so GOOD I'm almost looking for dust to play in! I always used to ENJOY sneezing, and now I'm enjoying it again, after a 3-week interval of dreading it and trying hard to stop it!

Sid, you may be right. The stairs thing isn't as strenuous as it sounds. But the rest surely doesn't help. I thought the Ensure was helping me approximate "three squares", except the stuff is such glorified sugar-water. . .

Norm, I would vote that you probably just had a bug of some kind and had really pushed yourself for someone who had just had heart surgery 3 weeks ago. It's easy when you start having those days where you are feeling better and "normal" to want to go out and do things, but your body will push back in a big way and I suspect this is what yours did.

Also, I know you are taking coumadin for 3 months but I think it has been brought up on here before that Ensure and those kind of drinks are full of vit. K and can drop your INR like a rock. It's not as big of a deal for you since you have a tissue valve, but just wanted to make you aware.

Anyway, I hope you are starting to feel better.

Kim

Thanks, Kim, I hadn't seen the link between Vit. K and Ensure! It may be more hazardous to be a 3-month "casual visitor" to the ACT world than to be a resident, because I haven't researched it the way I would have, if I expected to stay "forever".

My 3-month need for the C is not just old-fashioned prophylaxis for the tissue AVR; it's triggered by the "Simplici-T" Dacron ring that was added to my (otherwise unaltered) MV. My MV had been regurgitating under the harsh environment it was operating in, while my failing BAV was both stenotic (~0.8cm2) AND regurgitating (and my LV was compensating). There was some discussion with me (and presumably some "over my dead body", esp. after my TEE) about the extent to which the MV would recover on its own after the BAV was replaced. I was initially told the possibilities ranged from "leave it" to "repair it", then they shifted to EXclude "leave it", and to INclude "replace it". They settled on "repair it", with the ring.

Unfortunately, the team forgot to mention to me that the ring necessitates 3 months of ACT. I'm still a bit puzzled about that. I'm told that Dacron on the MV needs 3 months of ACT, although Dacron on the AV or the Aorta does not, because the MV operates in a lower-pressure environment than the AV, and is therefore more likely to form clots. I'm picturing the ring on the OUTside of the MV, not in the heart's blood-flow at all, so I'm assuming the concern is with the parts of the stitches that are anchoring the ring to the outside of the MV, which penetrate the wall of the MV and present rough edges inside the MV, on which clots might form. After a while (3 months?), scar tissue and the like will smooth over those stitches, and I'll be down near a normal clot-throwing risk again.

If I've got the picture wrong, somebody please straighten me out.

Anyhoo, since one stroke is too many, it's probably pretty important that my INR be in the right range for these 3 months. So far, despite a prescription for TWICE WEEKLY INR testing, my GP and I have NOT done a good job of keeping me in my therapeutic range (2.5-3.0). More like "I'm bipolar, but on the average I'm fine!" :) And mostly on the low side, apparently.

I was tested (and found low) Wed. PPM / Thurs AAM in the ER, and my regular lab won't open again until Wednesday, so I'll be curious to see how well my guesstimated boost to my dosage has been doing. I have NEVER noticed a single sign of excessive INR in my 3-ish weeks post-op, while I've been mostly taking 4 ml/d, and more recently 5 ml/d, of generic Warfarin. (I forget the brand.) Not one nosebleed, etc., etc.

BTW, for the ACT mavens: Since I was measured at 1.8 last Wed. night, I threw in one extra 2ml pill immediately, so 6 ml for Wednesday, and switched my daily dose from 4 ml to 5 ml until further notice. I also stopped drinking Ensure. (BTW, I do NOT see Vit. K listed on the Ensure label. It goes from B12 to Pantothenic Acid to Calcium. . .)

Well, they'd been maintaining my INR in the 2.5-ish range, where they want me to keep it at home, too. The last measurement before they were going to yank out my pacemaker wires showed 2.3. Many people don't think that's a problem, but the 2nd-banana CSurgeon thought it was too high, and should be lowered before the yank. So I got some Vit. K in OJ, and THEN the wires were yanked a few hours after.

Am I reading this wrong??? A 2.3 is not high at all. ????

So glad to see that you are recovering well, Norm! What an ordeal but hey, you pulled it off! Now you just need to relax, walk, sleep, eat and be pampered until you feel well enough to take on more things on your own!

Take good care of yourself!!! :)

Well, they'd been maintaining my INR in the 2.5-ish range, where they want me to keep it at home, too. The last measurement before they were going to yank out my pacemaker wires showed 2.3. Many people don't think that's a problem, but the 2nd-banana CSurgeon thought it was too high, and should be lowered before the yank. So I got some Vit. K in OJ, and THEN the wires were yanked a few hours after.

Am I reading this wrong??? A 2.3 is not high at all. ????

Yup, that's what it was (actually 2.23 according to my hospital records!), and it made the fancy Jr. Surgeon nervous. I'm guessing he'd had a scary experience recently while pulling out some pacemaker wires that should have been routine but weren't. (We all learn a lot from our experiences, and we often learn a little bit TOO much!) So I was given 2Mg of Vit. K before he'd pull the wires, and that ended up costing me an extra day (and almost two!) of eating rotten hospital food! The nurses and Nurse Practioner were all surprised that he'd balk at 2.3, but that's what happened.

With all respect, "fancy" Jr. Surgeon has A LOT to learn. (Is he a brand new surgical resident?)
A person who takes no anti-coagulant has an INR of 1.0 (apprx) and 2.0 is considered basic therapeutic. With a 2.23 INR but not with mechanical valve, you were where you should have been. Most surgeons say 2.0 - 3.0 for tissue valves/valve repair rings for short term ACT post surgery.

Interesting... I thought I misread that. I had an ablation this past October and my INR was I think 2.2 that morning and the electrophysiologist who did the procedure was happy with that.

Say my Cardio today, first time post-op!

Saw my Cardio today, first time post-op!

OK, so today I saw my Cardiologist for the first time post-op. I'm 2 days short of 6 weeks post-op. My recovery has mostly been great, with one "bump" that got me an ambulance ride to the OR and got me back on metoprolol to keep my heart-rate down on Earth. My sternum seems almost back to normal, my incision looks and feels pretty good, and my life is reasonably normal except for the still-high heart rate, the low exertion levels, and not lifting heavy things. I'm on Warfarin for another 1.5 months, my skin is unusually itchy for some reason -- and not JUST under the strap for the heart-rate monitor I'm wearing on my chest!

Today, I was looking for a bunch of answers to some questions, like:
  • Shouldn't I be starting Cardio Rehab about now? A: Yes, and I signed up, don't know when the next "class" starts yet.
  • Would it be OK if I started bicycling around town soon? A: Well, 6 weeks post-op isn't a crazy time to start bicycling, but it's Crazy Winter out there, so are you NUTS?!?
  • How do you feel about my going to Whistler for a ski week at ~2 months post-op, on Jan. 28th? A: I don't think anybody who's on Warfarin/ACT should go downhill skiing, even with a helmet, so why not wait until your 3 months is done? But you're going to go and try skiing no matter what I say, right? [Probably right.]
  • Did today's Echo Cardiogram show any improvement from the wimpy 1.3 cm2 Effective Aortic Area they measured in my first Echo, 5 days post-op? A: The tech didn't calculate the area today, but the peak pressure gradient was 20mm Hg, which is better than the 25mm Hg they got on day 5, and also low enough that you shouldn't worry about it.
  • Any idea why I'm so itchy? A: No. Let's wait another 6 weeks until you're off Warfarin and Metoprolol, and see if it goes away.
  • Any idea when my heart-rate will go back down to its pre-op 60-ish, instead of my post-op 90-100-ish, even with the Beta-Blocker? A: No. Your heart's been through a major trauma. Some never do go back to their pre-op low resting heart rates(!).
We set up some appointments for late Feb and early March, around 3 months post-op: In late Feb I'll get a Holter to wear for 48 hours to see if I'm free of A-fib and A-flutter, and relatively free of PVCs, so I can ditch the drugs. And we set up an appointment just after March 1 to discuss the results of the Holter experiment.

In a day or two I'll phone my Surgeon to see if I can get to see him before I go to Whistler, for a "second opinion". . .

One more thing: My Cardio also said that the Echo indicated that my LV had started recovering, back to its normal size and (maybe) wall thickness. I didn't press him for details, but it sounds good.

Since then I've made an appointment with my surgeon for the 25th, just before I leave for the West. He was more available before I leave than after I return.

Also, my PCP/GP's prescription for twice-weekly INR draws expired, and her replacement script was for bi-weekly draws, one every two weeks. I told her I wanted authorization to be tested more frequently than that -- though whether I actually DO it more frequently or not remains to be seen -- so she changed it to weekly. She didn't think it was a big deal either way, especially since my last couple of (~weekly) readings have been right in the middle of my 2.5-3.0 target.

This all happened yesterday, and I also had my blood drawn then. Today she phoned to say that "Murphy was an optimist" -- my INR was down to 2.3, just below my target range. She suggested that I not change anything (I've been taking 5mg/d for a couple of weeks), and re-test on Monday to see if it's back in range just by the normal random fluctuation of these things. I hope the lab tech doesn't give me trouble because I'm back in 4 days instead of 7! ;)

Meanwhile, I'm about to change the no-name generic brand of my Warfarin (AND my metoprolol) quite soon, so it's possible that THAT will mess up my "INR = It's Never Right", too! The Warfarin is going from Mylan to Tevo (Teva?). They also changed my pill size from 2mg to 5mg, which may be a nuisance if I want to change my dosage. We'll see. . .

I had an appointment with my Cardiac Surgeon for Jan 25, and one big Q I was planning to ask him was what he thought about my plans to ski in Whistler (downhill) from Jan 29 to Feb 3rd. This morning I got a call from his assistant saying that they had to cancel the appointment, because he was going to be operating then. We tried to find a time before my trip, but it didn't work. So I asked her to ask him what he thought about my plans. (I also reminded her that I was still on Warfarin.) Later today, while I was on a work-related conference call, she left a message: "Dr. Feindel says no problem at all with you skiing. OK, Bye-bye!" (Her message didn't mention Warfarin, so I'm just assuming she reminded him of it, or -- MAYBE! -- that he remembered it.)

So we've got the whole range now, from "Nobody on ACT should ever downhill ski, period!" from my Cardio, to "no problem at all" from the surgeon (and pretty close from my GP), and many of my family and friends (and me!) somewhere in-between!

I'm still planning to add some extra armour to my head and my chest, and to try to take it easier than usual. I'll also be wearing my heart-rate monitor, so I can see what the exertion is doing to my pulse. The chest-band gizmo has to send a wireless signal that reaches the watch-receiver gizmo, and it goes nuts more often outdoors, when I'm wearing lots of clothes, than indoors when I'm not. I hope it's powerful enough to transmit through my ski suit.

As I've partly posted elsewhere, I did ski most of the week (4 days of 6) in Whistler, and had a BLAST. Shorter days than normal pre-op, and with much more frequent stops, especially on the first few days. The (cheap) 2-piece heart-rate monitor worked beautifully, and I used it to check my HR when I stopped, and to gauge how long I should rest before starting again. First day was mostly between 110 and 125-130, next few were between 110 and ~130, with occasional sightings of 140. Last day I skied harder and longer and in longer bursts, but I hardly ever exceeded 130. HR was slower to rise and quicker to recover, seemed like an improvement to me. I skied over 17,000' of vertical on the last day (acc'd to my altimeter watch), which is getting toward a normal-but-relaxed ski day for me. All good, and it was WONDERFUL to be out there doing something I love that much.

I did buy a helmet on the first morning, and I wrapped a neoprene-and-Velcro "back belt" around my upper chest, for extra padding. Those 2 extras plus the HR monitor were the only concessions to the new valve and the Warfarin. I ended up not falling during the week, though I came close enough to scream once or twice. (It's all in the recoveries!)

That was 2-ish weeks ago, Jan/Feb. Since then, I've been feeling gradually more normal, and my resting HR has been creeping downwards. I've seen it enter the 60s a few times, with lots of trips into the 70s. Excursions over 100 are now relatively rare, unless I've just come upstairs or done similar "work".

This weekend I wore a Holter Monitor (5-lead portable EKG) for 48 hours. I return the monitor Tuesday morning, and I see my Cardiologist on March 3 to discuss the results. The plan is for me to discontinue the Warfarin and the Metropolol, but both depend on good monitor results, without A-fib or A-flutter or anything else "interesting". I expect (and hope) to drop the ACT completely, but I may be weaning off the Beta-blocker, since I've heard bad things about quitting "cold turkey".

Does anybody know if it's OK to just leave the monitor "running" for ~48 more hours before I hand it back in? I sure hope it isn't on a loop, constantly recording the LAST 48 hours over the PREVIOUS 48!! I don't see any obvious way to turn it off, I just peeled the leads off my chest and stuck it all in a bag.

Last edited:
I saw the Cardiologist yesterday, and he gave me the OK to stop taking Warfarin -- YAY!! :) Mind you, it's only been a minor nuisance, and would be even less of one, if I could get tested or self-tested with a finger-stick instead of a vein draw -- and get the results promptly instead of next day. Having a bigger INR "target zone" would have made it easier, too, since "2.5-3.0" was often hard to hit. I was ALMOST always between around 2.3 and 3.1 and OFTEN in range, but I did get down to 1.8 once. . .

I'm guessing that my (relatively few) "mystery bruises" will now fade, and will not be replaced with new ones. And my cardiologist will stop calling me "CRAZY" for going downhill skiing!

He also said that I could stop taking the Metoprolol (25mg x 2/d). When I asked him about "weaning" off it gradually, he said I COULD do that, or I could "just take a chance" and stop cold turkey. (I told him that the phrase "just take a chance" sounds different when it comes from my Cardiologist!!) So for now, I'm cutting the finger-snapped 50mg Metoprolol pills in half, in a pill cutter. If they don't look reasonably accurate, I throw them out, since I've got enough for a year, and I hope to keep taking them for maybe a week!

I start Cardio Rehab on Monday, and I'll probably still be taking (roughly) 12.5mg x 2/d of Metoprolol by then. Maybe I'll wean off completely before the second weekly class. And maybe I'll ask the Cardio who's on-duty at the Rehab for a second opinion about the Metoprolol.

My Cardio discussed my Holter results with me. He said there were some weird episodes, but none of them looked like A-fib, and none of them lasted longer than 14 beats. My HR gradually fell several times, way down to ~40 BPM, then recovered. I didn't check the time of day, but I bet they were when I was sleeping on my back and doing my sleep apnea thing. My average HR was in the high 70s, IIRC, including the sleeping (and the apnea).

He gave me a little talk about the unpredictability of A-Fib, how it sometimes returns for no apparent reason, and told me to watch out for excessive HR as I discontinued the B-Blocker.

So YAY on getting a reasonably clean bill of health and withdrawing from all my drugs, except for the baby aspirin. I'll shift that now from 6 PM (Warfarin time) to bed-time -- and I'll soon get to stop carrying pills around! :)

Onwards and upwards. . .

It's probably wise to "wean off" the Meto. There is no point in annoying your heart.
I take the 25mg pills and have no problem cutting them in half and even into quarters (with sharp scissors).
All sounds good :)

Back