Normandy during WWII and now pictures

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of it's kind that I've run across. I thought it was very interesting.

I know my family lost a lot of members throughout that war.

Very interesting. I really love to look at Then and Now photos. My aunt did a Then and Now book on Arizona.

I was a child during this war. how frightening for children. I had nightmares a lot and remember some of them to this day. And I was right here in the U.S. Can't even imagine how awful it was 'over there'.

not a house in the neighborhood that didn't have a gold star flag in the window in memory of a lost loved one in that house. Grandmother had one. Mother's brother was lost at sea.

War is horrible. it seems worse now.

That's sure an interesting link! Amazing how well some of the places look today.

My next door neighbor in TX fought in Normandy. Up till couple years ago when he died he always attended yearly reunions with his old outfit at different places over the USA. His wife still makes the reunions.

I remember a lot about WW11. I had family in the war but no lives were lost. Our little farm town had many banners with Gold Stars in their windows. Everything was ration but living on a farm didn't effect us as bad as town folk for we raised just about all our food.

WW11 reminds me that Freedom is not free.

I know several people that will enjoy seeing those pictures.

Thanks Ross!

That's sure an interesting link! Amazing how well some of the places look today.

My next door neighbor in TX fought in Normandy. Up till couple years ago when he died he always attended yearly reunions with his old outfit at different places over the USA. His wife still makes the reunions.

I remember a lot about WW11. I had family in the war but no lives were lost. Our little farm town had many banners with Gold Stars in their windows. Everything was ration but living on a farm didn't effect us as bad as town folk for we raised just about all our food.

WW11 reminds me that Freedom is not free.

I know several people that will enjoy seeing those pictures.

Thanks Ross!
We just had a reunion here at my home airport of B-17 pilots. The larger picture of this gives real meaning to the whole thing, but here is a small sample:

vet2a.jpg

You can get the full size image from the link below:
http://www.mapsairmuseum.org/vet2.jpg

Thanks Ross, that was very interesting. There is a site on the net that does the same thing in germany, something like "Third Reich Then And Now". Its amazing from that site and these pics how much from those days remains in place. Here we just tear stuff down! Long ago I saw a book that did the same with cival war sites too, quite interesting.

Thanks, Ross. That was something to see.

One random tid-bit, I spent some time in Normandy back in 2001, and every building had the same border around the street-facing windows: a three-inch-wide repeating pattern of American, Canadian, and what I think was Belgian (right colors but not sure why exactly, perhaps credit for active resistance) flags. Every single large window had this same trim of three flags all around, and a huge number of houses had American and Canadian flags out front. These obviously were grateful people well aware of their history.

Some of the older people we ran into made for great conversation as well. A moving experience all around. I can't fathom it for the people who were there or ever in a comparable situation, but I guess all the rest of us can do is try to understand.

Ross,

Thanks for the fasinating photos!

I had quiet a few relatives in that war. My dad included.

That's pretty good too. Personally, I think we need things like this to remind us of were we've been as a country in the past and the reasons for being there. The new kids don't seem to be taught these history lessons or else they just don't care and that's sad.
Speaking of history.I just saw a report on T.V. that only 23% of high school students in Oklahoma could name George Washington as our first President.Now that is down right depressing!!!!

Speaking of history.I just saw a report on T.V. that only 23% of high school students in Oklahoma could name George Washington as our first President.Now that is down right depressing!!!!

Isn't that unbelievable? The kids today have no respect for history and I honestly question if they were even taught. I know when I went to school, it was bored into me and while I didn't like it, I did learn. Ask kids today something about 50 years ago and they just give you this stupid look.

Latest posts

Back