Non-invasive CT angiogram

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camgough

My last echo showed some area of my heart was not getting the same amount of blood as other areas, so my cardio wanted me to have a PET scan/test at the local hospital. He then called back and said I was heading back to the Ottawa Heart Institute for a non-invasive CT angiogram. I had this test yesterday, and the nurse told me it was one of only 3 machines in Canada that is capable.

I have never had a normal angiogram, so it was all new. You need to get your HR to below 60bpm to have the test, and usually a beta-blocker is used. Then it is like a normal ct scan with contrast. I had a spray of nitro before to open the vessels, then 5 scans are done. Each scan takes approx. 1000 pics of the heart, and when all said and done it looks like a 3D image of the heart, showing great detail of the arteries and any blockages or other problems.

Still waiting for the results (keeping my fingers crossed).

Has anyone else had this test??

I had one ahead of my AVR surgery this year looking mainly for atery blockage. The result was a 'calcium score' in my case which that used to judge any blockages. It showed mine were fine, so no bypass work was needed during my valve repacement surgery. Sounds like my test experience was similar to mine. They had troubloe getting my heart rate down below 65 with beta blocker though, and, after giving me the maximum dose, decided to go ahead with it at 65. It still worked fine. I got to see my heart images prior to my surgey too -- pretty cool seeing one's own heart up on the screen.

I hope your test results are positive.

Dan

I had one three years ago to check for blockages in my coronary arteries. I had to have an injection of a beta blocker too to get my heart rate down, but they only needed it down to 70 with the machine they were using. There were no blockages :) The CT angiogram also showed calcification on my bicuspid aortic valve and degenerative changes in my spine too. I got sent a copy CD of the images of my heart.

I wonder how much radiation I got ?

Anne

I had the same test (CT angiogram) prior to my AVR surgery (rather than the regular angiogram) to check for any blockages in the arteries. I was told it was less invasive and a quicker test.
I also had a second one (when I was re-admitted) to rule out a pulmonary embolism. Good luck and keep us posted on the results, Cam.

Last edited:
Yeah they said Hamilton and Vancouver the others right now. Toronto getting one. Tests not covered by OHIP and was paid for by donations. Trying to convince OHIP that in the long run will help more people and of course save money.

Yeah they said Hamilton and Vancouver the others right now. Toronto getting one. Tests not covered by OHIP and was paid for by donations. Trying to convince OHIP that in the long run will help more people and of course save money.

We are fortunate that Ottawa is a great city with many wealthy and generous residents known
for donating funds to its hospitals.

Cam that is comforting to know that Hamilton is available ....a short 30 min drive away .....I was just thinking of you the other day wondering how active patrol duty was treating you .....keep us posted on this latst development

Latest posts

Back