no post-op rehab.... what am i missing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's great for those of us that have had understanding family/bosses, it's not that way for everyone. I was really lucky, my boss said take as much paid leave as you want, so I used 4 weeks, and then started part-time, after 7 weeks I was full-time.

first day back at work went well! i had exactly 2 tasks to complete and it almost took me the whole 3 and a half hours i was there to complete them. man.... i think almost a full month of watching as much TV as i wanted has reeked havoc on my ability to concentrate.

my boss, colleagues and i have decided that i would do 4 hours/day for about a week and then re-evaluate the situation later on.

i still feel great, though!! :)

ciao

I did the course of cardiac rehabilitation provided by our hospital, three sessions each week and the people ranged from eighteen to some in their seventies. It was interesting to watch people's fitness increasing week by week. As well as exercise we also had talks on many subjects.

To me it was excellent but as it is all provided free for us then it would have been stupid not to have taken it up. I feel that I benefitted.

Going back isn't as easy as you think. It isn't the physical aspect of the job that gets to you as much as the stress and the multitasking. Starting back half-days makes sense. And rushing it because you feel pretty good while doing little or nothing is applying a false standard to your ablity to do the work.

Most short-term disability plans allow for 6-10 weeks for return to work. Unless you're working for yourself or just can't survive without your work identity, it makes sense to use that time for recovery. If you feel better, walk more.

Best wishes,

Most short-term disability plans allow for 6-10 weeks for return to work. Unless you're working for yourself or just can't survive without your work identity, it makes sense to use that time for recovery. If you feel better, walk more.

Don't get me wrong, I could live just fine without my work identity!!:cool: In fact, during my time home I was fantasizing about never having to go back again, joining a gym, volunteering, travelling. But, then I realized that I needed money to do all of these things. And that, unfortunately I can't live without.

I was hired at my current job just three weeks before my surgery and during my interview was honest about the fact that I would be operated on soon and would need time off. Because of this I was hired on a less than desirable contract for three months, with no pay during my time off (both my boss and I agreed it would be unreasonable to get paid time off while I was still in a trial period). But, in January '10, I will have a contract that allows for paid time off and all the fringe benefits (here in Italy it's a great contract that not a lot of people are fortunate enough to have), so I decided to accept the offer.

So in order to save my bank account a bit (and my sanity) I decided that going back to the office for 4 hours a day and accomplishing little, but getting a pay check again was better than staying at home and accomplishing nothing except debt!! :D

Plus I walk to and from work (30 min each way) everyday :p

I am in cardiac rehab, 3X a week. The thing that I like best about it is the fact that they take your blood pressure before and after, and have you on a monitor.I have had a few bouts of a-fib, so being on the monitor is a comfort.

At first I thought that the exercises were too easy. Was I wrong!!! I was totally exhausted after the first few sessions. Over time, the nurse has increased both time and difficulty in the machines that I use.

I have a wonderful gym in my community, which has far more equipment than at the rehab center. Nevertheless, I think that what I am doing now is right for me. I know that I have a tendency to overdo, (the nurse has asked me to slow down on numerous occasions), and I need the watchful eyes of a medical professional at this time.

Latest posts

Back