Nine years and my pig valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

It is (almost) nine years. Had my checkup with the cardio, reviewed results from the MRI. My little piggy Valve looks great, just as good as when it was put in. We are now going from every one and half years for my checkups to once every two years. Plus I continue to be completely medication free.

Life continues to go well, I still mountain bike often, I only do one or two races a year but I like to do either the nine hour format or the 50 mile races. I do well, don’t win but certainly not last. Still kayaking and hiking/backpacking as well. I also picked up climbing a bit over a year ago, indoor bouldering specifically, it’s a lot of fun. I am climbing at a v3, v4 level. Got into it because my younger son started climbing about a year and half ago, turns out he is really good. Of course he is already climbing at a v7 boulder and 5.12 sport climbing level. My older son is still swimming but spends more time with school and his robotics club. Seems hard to believe how old they are now, my older son is entering 11th grade in August and he starts his junior internship today. Amazing that my kids were just three and six when I got this valve.

Take care and I’ll post again in two years.

Well, a hearty (pun intended) congratulations and thank you for coming back to tell us how well things are going. I'm so glad to hear that you're still finding new ways to have a rewarding and fulfilling life. . . AND I thank you for sharing that with us. It is so important for new folks to hear from experienced valvers about how they have gotten back into their lives. Far too many patients are given the impression that somehow they will become "fragile" after valve surgery. Those of us who continue to "beat up" our bodies in all the normal ways for our ages (and for younger people, too) make wonderful examples for the new patients and folks in The Waiting Room.

Congrats on # 9! I remember when you received the valve; you were pushing the limits both before and after replacement, and about drove me crazy with worry! My 10th is a few days off, and my schedule for echos is every two years. It looks like we're both doing well with our non mechanical valves.

Back