Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luana

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am scheduled to have aortic valve replacement on Fri Nov 20.

I have severe AR and moderate/severe AS and mild mitral regurgitation. Had rheumatic fever at age 8 (back in the Leave-it-to-Beaver days), and bacterial endocarditis in 1987. RF left me with a heart murmur, and have been fairly normal most of my life, and was told that endocarditis did little, if any, additional damage to aortic and mitral valves. I was sick for 3 months before I was correctly diagnosed; doctors kept telling me I had the flu, and brushing me off when I mentioned my concern about endocardiditis.

About two-and-a-half years ago, the fatigue I was feeling made me discontinue a lot of things, and my life feels like it's been getting smaller and smaller ever since. Around this time last year I started noticing I get short-of-breath way too easy, climbing stairs, light housework, putting on socks.

PCP referred me to a cardiologist. Had an echo and cardiac cath and that brings me to where I am now, with surgery scheduled for Nov 20.

Big relief is that surgeon plans to do a minimally invasive incision, which I am relieved about and hope means that I will recover quicker, though I am still having quite a bit of anxiety about the whole thing. I hate the idea of even stepping foot in a hospital, much less being in one for several days.

My other relief is that at least this time I have not had to beg and plead with doctors about how bad I feel. It's been a fairly quick and straightforward process to get me to where I am now.

It's been good to read about all the success stories here and I want to be able to add mine, too.

Other than that, I'm fine and I'm scared!
Luana

Welcome, Luana! I'm pretty new here too, and am so glad to have found a resource like this. You are definitely not alone and there are many people here who have already been through what you are gearing up for that can help calm your fears.

It's a shame that you had to struggle to get doctors to listen to you, but it sounds like you're in good hands now.

Good luck on the 20th!

Michele

Welcome to VR. You will get a lot of support here as we have all been in your shoes. You should have a decent recovery period with minimal invasive surgery.Let us know if you have questions. Best to you on the 20th

Luana,
Good luck with your surgery on the 20th. It sounds as though you had a rough ride getting to this point but now it is time to look ahead and not back.

Wait until you see how your life will change for the better as you heal.

There will be a lot of folks here praying for you. Be well.

Luana, I am a two time OHS. Hoping and prayers that you will be back in no time at all, posting your successful surgery update. I know you are scared...but if you have confidence in the surgeon and have done your homework, then be at peace.

feel free to voice all your concerns here. Many times it is easier to talk, whine, complain, etc here where everyone knows exactly what you are feeling than it is to tell your family and friends. You will find lots of support and encouragement here.

Many thanks to all of you!

I feel pretty good and confident about the whole thing. It's just the waiting that seems to be getting to me now. I live alone and am trying to get as much in order as I can as in tidying house, freezing homemade meals for me to have when I come home.

My big fear? Living in California -- what if there's an earthquake during my surgery?
Luana

I feel pretty good and confident about the whole thing. It's just the waiting that seems to be getting to me now. I live alone and am trying to get as much in order as I can as in tidying house, freezing homemade meals for me to have when I come home.

My big fear? Living in California -- what if there's an earthquake during my surgery?
Luana
Welcome to the site. An earthquake during surgery? Reminded me of the last time I was in an MRI machine. I was thinking, "I know I'd be fine in here during an earthquake but how in the world could I get out of this dratted thing?" :eek: (You know, if the power went out or if other things in the room were thrown against the opening. . . )

But seriously, a hospital would probably be about the safest place you could possibly be in the event of the next "big one."

May I ask where you'll have surgery? And who is your surgeon? My surgery was in downtown LA at Good Samaritan. That picture of the big city was kind of intimidating to us "country" folks.

Will anyone be able to stay with you following your surgery? And in the hospital as you recover?

There are a few tough cookies here who bravely soldiered on by themselves post-op but a lot of us found that we needed some help, particularly that first week home after the surgery. Also, the surgeon will have strict requirements for you in regard to lifting and driving, although I don't know how extended that might be with minimally invasive surgery. And there will be lab and cardio f/u appointments that you will need transportation to and from also. You no doubt realize all of this but I hope you'll have someone to help you. Best wishes to you. Take care :) .

Hi Lily,
I am having the surgery at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and Dr. Daniel Bethencourt is the surgeon. I live in a neighboring beach community.

I know the question of the earthquake seems a bit far-fetched; however, about 20 years ago in the evening of the day that I had back surgery, there was an earthquake. I could definitely feel the building sway. Wasn't concerned for my safety since it was after the surgery! lol Maybe that's why now I'm hoping there's no earthquake during the surgery.

I do have people to help me with errands, doctor visits, etc., after surgery; however, I hadn't thought about asking someone to stay with me.

Hi Luana,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

It is quiet normal to experience alot of anxiety. I was panicked to say the least! Had my surgery Feb 2008. I am just feeling "normal" these past couple of months now. I had minimally invasive for an aortic valve. Did have some complications, but still glad I had the smaller incision. Every recovery is different though.

Good luck to you, and if you have any questions, or need to express any fears and doubts you are feeling, please do not HESITATE to post.

Luana

Hi Luana, welcome. You'll find this place is full of warm, caring people. Feel free to ask any question that comes to mind - also, if you haven't already done so, make sure you read the stickies that are at the top of some of the forums. And don't forget the Resources section - jam-packed with info.

Now, back to your question. My first reaction was to say, "If there's an earthquake, pray that it's a really, really big one", but that's probably not what you want to hear. So my next reaction is to say, 'trust your doctors and their really big generator'. I suspect that surgeons in earthquake prone areas always have that in the back of their minds and have a plan of action, just in case. I'm confident that your surgery will go smoothly and you'll be on the road to recovery before you know what even hit you.

My prayers & thoughts will be with you Luana on November 20th. I know the wait is so hard but try to stay busy as you are doing & the days will go by before you know it.

I hope that you will have someone that will assist you at home for a week or so until you're able to do things for yourself. And yes, preparing meals ahead of time & freezing them is a very wise thing to do. Cooking for yourself right away is very hard to do & you do need to eat to keep up your strength. Buy some low-sodium cans of soup to keep on hand.

Godspeed.

all best wishes on friday-your new VR family will be here with you and for you.

Back