Newbie scheduled for surgery Fri. 8/21

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidswife

Hi Everyone!

Thank you again for all the warm welcomes and I just wanted to let you all know that David is scheduled for AVR on Friday morning. He had a CT scan today to determine if he also needs to have part of the aorta replaced. The surgeon did not have a chance to look at the CT scan when we met with him today but he said that he would definitely let us know before Friday what else might need to be done.

We decided to go with the On-X and I have already started the process to get a home anticoag monitor, which our insurance will cover (and QAS is a participating provider for our plan so that should hopefully make everything go pretty smoothly - just need to get a letter of medical necessity which should not be a problem). We are both in a really good frame of mind and feel very confident and comfortable with our decision. I know that we would not be where we are at (as far as comfort level and knowledge) if we had not found this wonderful forum. Thank you again for your generous sharing of your knowledge and your experiences and for your support.

Nadine

Nadine,

Good luck to you and your husband but honestly he will do fine. I had 2 AVR by the time I was 12 and I'm still clicking away 29 year later. He'll do great, besides thing have gotten way more advanced since my last surgery. I was in ICU for almost 7 days and in the hospital close to four weeks. Nowadays it's more like 24hrs in ICU and 7 days before he'll be released. As my new surgeon said when I asked him about my upcoming OHS (and expressed my surprise at the quick turn) "We've gotten alot better at this over the last 25 years". :)

Hi Matski,

Thanks so much for the well wishes! Wow, you have quite a cardiac history. Glad to hear that you are still clicking away ;). Congrats on the pending birth of your son :)! When is he due? Is this your first child? You will do great too - after all, you are an old pro at it! It's amazing how much medicine has advanced in a relatively short time. We were also told that it would be 24 hours in the ICU and then 5-7 days in a step down unit.

Nadine

I was told due to my previous surgeries they feel I could be in ICU for a few extra days (up to 3) due to the chance of complications from scar tissue (normally surgeons don't want to so more than 2 sternotomy's, this will be my forth) but they feel I should still be out in about a week. **fingers crossed** :)

Actually, I've been blessed. Chase (due the 1st week of October) will be my 3rd child. My daughter Lexi is 7 and Nickolas is 13 months. Needless to say, my hands are full. :D

WOW, everything is happening so quickly for you both and I thought I was quick (said and done in 5 days) I think you got me beat LOL

But in all seriousness, special prayers going your way.

David and Nadine - It's happening so quick that it will be over and you will be on your way to recovery before you know it. How great is that? Best of luck to you David! Prayers, thoughts, and good vibes headed your way.

Matski, that is some kind of list you have there. How incredible that you have been through so much and yet have lived a very full life - not letting it get you down. That is really comforting to know.

Rhena

I remember something about lemons...what was it? Oh yeah. If life gives you lemons, find some Jack Daniels and make some Lynchburg Lemonade!

You can't let it get you down. I know its hard, but if you dwell on it and let it consume you, it will change who you are and not for the better. I like who I am and don't plan on changing anytime soon I got too much to look forward to. Just gotta tell yourself "I got this and its all gonna work out."

Also, you've got to have (or develop) a sense of humor about it. My wife thinks its funny when I tell her I love her with my whole heart...even the fake parts.

I was told due to my previous surgeries they feel I could be in ICU for a few extra days (up to 3) due to the chance of complications from scar tissue (normally surgeons don't want to so more than 2 sternotomy's, this will be my forth) but they feel I should still be out in about a week. **fingers crossed** :)

Actually, I've been blessed. Chase (due the 1st week of October) will be my 3rd child. My daughter Lexi is 7 and Nickolas is 13 months. Needless to say, my hands are full. :D

Interesting about having a 4th sternotomy...

Did anyone ever discuss the option of doing your MVR by Thoracotomy (through the ribs)? Several of our members have had that procedure instead of going (back) through the sternum. (Fresh Meat versus Scar Tissue upon Scar Tissue... and the MV is readily accessable via that route, or so I am told). Dr. Petracek at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN specializes in sternotomies (200/yr). I expect most surgeons only do a few.

You will do fine with the surgery. I recieved a Bovine tisssue valve but I am a couple of years older than you (age 61) and need hip replacement surgery also. Replacing part of the ascending aorta is very common in folks with a bi valve. It seems to be part of the tissue disorder. Mine only had to be wrapped because my anuyersm was small. If I had gone mech. it would have been Onx that is a great choice. Best wishes and I will say a prayer on friday.

PS
Matski is right a sense of humor helps. I love that statement "I love you with my whole heart even the fake parts."

God bless and Godspeed!

God bless and Godspeed!

Nadine,
David and you will be in our thoughts and prayers on Friday. Please update us when you can. We'll see you both on the other side.

Thanks, everyone! We're moving right along. Just called his dentist for the clearance. And I also just requested a tawdry shirt (on the TOOTS thread). David hasn't had a chance to spend much time on the site since he's trying to wrap up as much as he can with work before Friday. He doesn't even know about TOOTS but he's a good sport so I know it won't be a problem to get him to pose:).

Nadine

Best Wishes David for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Nadine, you also will be in my prayers on Friday. I know that you and David are a team and so together you will both get through this. :)

Nadine, Best wishes to you and David for a successful surgery. You both will be in my prayers.

God bless,
Lori

Interesting about having a 4th sternotomy...

Did anyone ever discuss the option of doing your MVR by Thoracotomy (through the ribs)? Several of our members have had that procedure instead of going (back) through the sternum. (Fresh Meat versus Scar Tissue upon Scar Tissue... and the MV is readily accessable via that route, or so I am told). Dr. Petracek at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN specializes in sternotomies (200/yr). I expect most surgeons only do a few.

Al, I did check into a Thoracotomy but it seemd that route is good for repair but not optimum for replacement. Dr. Matter (surgeon) and Graceffo (cardiologist) both seem to agree on the matter. My previous surgeons from past surgeries also concurred.

Good Luck and Godspeed....You will both be in my prayers...see ya on the other side of the mountain soon! :)

Latest posts

Back