Newbie here...wondering about long distance travel post-op...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lionheart - Yes, I meant that I would be a passenger, not a driver. Important distinction, huh? My family and I have decided flying is the best course. My wonderful wife has agreed to be my hand-servant, but only for my OHS recovery period...in no way am I to construe this as a permanent change in spousal status...lol. Wheelchair at both ends of the trip and plenty of stretching are in order as well.

At the moment, I am in the hospital ... the card will confirm sometime soon, but it appears that I had a heart attack yesterday while driving home from work. Chest pain for 1.5 hours along with 2 (out of 3) enzyme tests came back positive for some type of ischemia. This trip just keeps getting better and better, but I feel better now than I have in weeks. Hope they let me out today, albeit with new drugs - for heart AND mind.

Good luck, Just Ask.
I concur that immediatly post surgery keep the trips as short as possible. You will get tired. I always sleep better on a plane than in the car.

You might want to plan to hang out in the Cleveland area an extra day or two before you start your journey. Some have complications with afib after AVR. It is treatable, but if you happen to have post surgery issues, do you have a good hospital/cardio in Pensacola who could help manage it?

I'm sorry to hear you had a heart attack yesterday. But what a blessing to have it NOW if you were going to have one while they are working you up. Hopefully, it was a minor one and just a precursor that allows your heart health to be optimized before your surgery.

If you only need a simple AVR and no by-pass, you might be a candidate for a ministernotomy. Might want to ask about it. The scar is only about 3 inches long.

Speaking of wheelchairs ........................

wheelchair1.jpg

Great for independent ATV'n

Here is wishing Scott a fast and smooth recovery. I saw Scott (Just ASK) in the ICI last night. He is doing OK after a surprising 17 hours in the OR on Wednesday. His wife seemed to be holding up well after that as well!

I will let him fill in the details.

Thanks for the update, and doing your Vol work. Wow 17 hours What a long day. Everyone must have been pretty wiped out. Hopefully Scott will have a fast recovery and feel better soon.

Back